The New Raith Rovers Thread

Diddy cup or not we still got thumped 3-0 by Ayr :ph34r:

We certainly LOST 3-0 to Ayr United!!

I am not sure, having read John Mainland's Match Report on Raith Website, if we were "thumped"unsure.gif

Not having been there with the other hardy 227 souls who actually turned up for this match, I will take Mainland's comments as fairly accurate.

I am not sure, having read John Mainland's Match Report on Raith Website, if we were "thumped"unsure.gif

Not having been there with the other hardy 227 souls who actually turned up for this match, I will take Mainland's comments as fairly accurate.

No matter what was said about the game if the shoe was on the other foot we would say we thumped them would we not?

Went to the game at Cappielow last night as a neutral. Raith Rovers were the better team. Ayr took their chances, Raith didn't. 3-0 was extremely flattering to Ayr IMO. P.S. The gentleman's toilet had neither light nor water. Didn't think there was much point in testing the soap dispensers in the land of the soapdodgers. :lol:

Went to the game at Cappielow last night as a neutral. Raith Rovers were the better team. Ayr took their chances, Raith didn't. 3-0 was extremely flattering to Ayr IMO. P.S. The gentleman's toilet had neither light nor water. Didn't think there was much point in testing the soap dispensers in the land of the soapdodgers. :lol:

:lol:

LOL no pictures on the scorecard wee sandy. You wur rode 3-0.

I could think of at least 5 players that played better on sat. Graham didn't do much wrong but for me he wasn't fast enough, wasn't clinical enough and was distinctly average. I personally feel that Graham doesn't look like an out and out goal scorer. I hope i am proved wrong this season but i feel the only reason that he gets a game is because there's no one better to take his place.

Theres no player fast in our team.Thought Graham had a decent game and IMO him and Baird were beginning to link up well,as Baird said himself he`l be great foil for him.Takes time to form a partnership.Agree he doesn`t look like a goalscorer and looks more a set up/provider(knock down for the goal for instance) which is much needed,he also adds decent height to our frontline.I still think he`ll grab a few in time but he needs time.

Theres no player fast in our team.Thought Graham had a decent game and IMO him and Baird were beginning to link up well,as Baird said himself he`l be great foil for him.Takes time to form a partnership.Agree he doesn`t look like a goalscorer and looks more a set up/provider(knock down for the goal for instance) which is much needed,he also adds decent height to our frontline.I still think he`ll grab a few in time but he needs time.

It's all very well having a player to knock down for the goal or have someone who can hold the ball up and make a good pass to a player to score but there isnt that other player. Graham is a work in progress and needs time but we need another striker who can get into the positions for Graham to play him in. How many times did Baird put the ball in the box, and it was only Graham waiting in the box!

And once again it's in the match report and in the papers that we had good spells of pressure but could not score and it's cost us.

It's all very well having a player to knock down for the goal or have someone who can hold the ball up and make a good pass to a player to score but there isnt that other player. Graham is a work in progress and needs time but we need another striker who can get into the positions for Graham to play him in. How many times did Baird put the ball in the box, and it was only Graham waiting in the box!

And once again it's in the match report and in the papers that we had good spells of pressure but could not score and it's cost us.

You`ll get no arguement from me on our needs of another striker but that wasn`t mentioned in your previous post.To be frank we require several players but unless theres an influx of money that isn`t going to happen.It`ll be down the loan route if anything at all however, I think McGlynn has to be careful not to bring in loan players for the sake of it and bring in players who are going to improve the team.We have two loanees at present and only one of them fits that bill.

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Well the argument would be that maybe we do need another striker but this is because the one that we have possibly isn't good enough. Graham is unproven which is fair enough but the fact is that if he doesn't start scoring soon it could be a long season. Baird and Graham are similar players in the fact that they can create chances for and need another player who can execute the chances, neither of them have done that for each other so far. Baird is a work horse and we need Graham to be a poacher, so far he hasn't looked clinical enough for this role. I hope he can improve because id love to see a good strike partnership this year.

Graham scored 11 goals in this league last year so he's hardly unproven. Also, we've had FOUR competitive games so far - winning three - yet this still isn't good enough? Every club would love to have a Dazza-Brewster partnership but how many players have actually hit 20+ league goals in Division One in the last few years? Rooney springs to mind but nobody else really. Therefore a front two who hit 11 and 13 goals each in this league last season is more than adequate for our needs.

Well the argument would be that maybe we do need another striker but this is because the one that we have possibly isn't good enough. Graham is unproven which is fair enough but the fact is that if he doesn't start scoring soon it could be a long season. Baird and Graham are similar players in the fact that they can create chances for and need another player who can execute the chances, neither of them have done that for each other so far. Baird is a work horse and we need Graham to be a poacher, so far he hasn't looked clinical enough for this role. I hope he can improve because id love to see a good strike partnership this year.

McGlynn has been led a merry dance with the promise of a striker from an SPL side and it's now looking doubtful we'll be getting him at all, so it's not really his fault we're a little short up front. We'll bring in someone from another club before the window is out I imagine. Having said that Graham and Baird scored 26 goals at this level between them last season. I'd be surprised if there's a partnership around that can better that? Not really much more McGlynn can do.

The fact of the matter is, people like you and three quarters of Fantalk spend most of your time shouting that we need a "poacher" or "an out and out goalscorer" when John Baird is as good as they come in this league. We've got that mythical "15 goals a season" striker so why not be happy about it? Danny Thomson could even pass as the ever elusive "creative midfielder"...

Edited by Paco

Guest honestrae95

Being an Ayr fan, i have to be honest and say Raith passed us to death at times, and were definitely the better team. The 3-0 scoreline flattered you and i thought you deserved at least a draw. Baird, disappointed me last night. Was never anywhere near the box and looked tired! If hes the best striker in the league then the quality of 1st div. football is not as high as i thought- maybe he just had an off-night! Reynolds hasnt improved since leaving Ayr and the young boy from Hearts looked so uncomfortable! However Hamill looked like a player, as did Graham.....

So overall, we took our chances and Raith didnt. Great to see my school-pal Roddy Paterson scoring aswell!!! :D

Being an Ayr fan, i have to be honest and say Raith passed us to death at times, and were definitely the better team. The 3-0 scoreline flattered you and i thought you deserved at least a draw. Baird, disappointed me last night. Was never anywhere near the box and looked tired! If hes the best striker in the league then the quality of 1st div. football is not as high as i thought- maybe he just had an off-night! Reynolds hasnt improved since leaving Ayr and the young boy from Hearts looked so uncomfortable! However Hamill looked like a player, as did Graham.....

So overall, we took our chances and Raith didnt. Great to see my school-pal Roddy Paterson scoring aswell!!! :D

Good post, mental green dot given. ;) Sums up the game, though I'd have to say Reynolds didn't have much time to make an impact and generally hasn't had much to do so far.