The New Raith Rovers Thread

On the subject of Gary Wales...I worked out that he made 64 minutes worth of appearances in a Rovers shirt last season from 7 appearances off the bench and 0 starts. This has no relevance to anything on this thread, but it does sum up how his numerous injuries and lack of Baird & Tade (who ironically is injured for 5-6 weeks right now) injuries affected his season.

Want to go tonight, but have no one to go with, so I won't be going.

I imagine we'll go with:

McGurn

Murray / Hill / Ellis / Dyer

Williamson / Walker / Davidson / Hammill

Baird / Graham

I imagine this is the formation that will be McGlynn's first choice.

I can't see McGlynn using two left footers at centre half to be honest. The inbalance would be brutal and I imagine he'll want to get the majority of the first eleven playing in this season's selected formation as soon as possible. I suppose it's possible that Davidson will drop back and allow Murray to go to full back but that leaves a gap in midfield because;

I also see no reason to assume he's gonna move Walker inside. For the vast mahjority of our time since promotion, Walker has played wide right because he is far better in that role than Williamson. In the absence of a right midfielder bneing signed I presume he'll stay wide right and Hammil will play in the centre with McBride wide left.

McBride is the only natural wide-player we have, so that would make sense.

However, both him and Williamson were guilty of performing poorly last season, so a lot may depend on how good Hamill is out on the left. Walker is better than Williamson on the right, and Hamill could well be better than McBride on the left. However, one of them is going to have to play. I myself would probably prefer Walker out wide and Hamill in the middle. I want Walker to play in the middle but from what I've heard about Hamill his game would be better utilised in the centre.

This season is sink or swim for McBride. Williamson has this season to tell me I'm wrong to frequently bemoan his contributions. Of the two, McBride has more to offer IMO, but he needs to get footballing brain from somewhere. The ability is there, but his decision-making is awful.

McBride is the only natural wide-player we have, so that would make sense.

However, both him and Williamson were guilty of performing poorly last season, so a lot may depend on how good Hamill is out on the left. Walker is better than Williamson on the right, and Hamill could well be better than McBride on the left. However, one of them is going to have to play. I myself would probably prefer Walker out wide and Hamill in the middle. I want Walker to play in the middle but from what I've heard about Hamill his game would be better utilised in the centre.

This season is sink or swim for McBride. Williamson has this season to tell me I'm wrong to frequently bemoan his contributions. Of the two, McBride has more to offer IMO, but he needs to get footballing brain from somewhere. The ability is there, but his decision-making is awful.

Williamson is all but finished at Raith Rovers right now.He spent most of last season out of favour and when he did get a shot he was anonymous. He has another year left on his deal and then, barring a major turnaround, he'll be away. But aye, I'd give McBride a run of twenty games at wide left and give him his shot, with Walker wide right and Hammil in the middle.

I can't see McGlynn using two left footers at centre half to be honest. The inbalance would be brutal and I imagine he'll want to get the majority of the first eleven playing in this season's selected formation as soon as possible. I suppose it's possible that Davidson will drop back and allow Murray to go to full back but that leaves a gap in midfield because;

I also see no reason to assume he's gonna move Walker inside. For the vast mahjority of our time since promotion, Walker has played wide right because he is far better in that role than Williamson. In the absence of a right midfielder bneing signed I presume he'll stay wide right and Hammil will play in the centre with McBride wide left.

Folk always say that about two left footed centre halfs, but not two right footed ones. I never saw any grumblings about "imbalance" when it was Campbell and Murray as the CB pairing. What about Ferdinand and Vidic? Terry and Luiz? Puyol and Pique?

Williamson is all but finished at Raith Rovers right now.He spent most of last season out of favour and when he did get a shot he was anonymous. He has another year left on his deal and then, barring a major turnaround, he'll be away. But aye, I'd give McBride a run of twenty games at wide left and give him his shot, with Walker wide right and Hammil in the middle.

I was trying to avoid typing my true feelings, but you've summed them up well!

As for the left-footers - right footed CBs frequently have to play at LCB, whereas left-footers will always play LCB, and never have to play on the right. It's a subtle difference, but one which will make clearances under pressure and tackling difficult for them.

Right-footed LCBs will of course have to overcome this difficulty too, but they'll have played in that position for periods of time before and will have adapted.

Edited by Michael W

Folk always say that about two left footed centre halfs, but not two right footed ones. I never saw any grumblings about "imbalance" when it was Campbell and Murray as the CB pairing. What about Ferdinand and Vidic? Terry and Luiz? Puyol and Pique?

Well, as Raith Against... says the majority of attacking players will be right footed and theoretically able to exploit that more. If Puyol and Pique or Vidic and Ferdinand or Terry and Luiz came up against two left footers they'd struggle just like any other centre half pairing would. It's also worth noting that all of those players are immeasurably more adaptable than our lot.

And, how often did Campbell / Murray play at centre half together when there was fit left footer available? Not often if I recall.

I also remember reading something from a manager (I honestly can't remember who, I'm afraid) saying that he loved seeing an opposition defence with a right-footed right-back, and a left-footed right-sided central defender, if that isn't too hyphenated to make sense.

It basically opens up a massive corridor for a traditional tricky left winger to exploit when he cuts inside, with neither defender being able to make a challenge with their preferred foot.

Mcgurn Donaldson dyer Murray Ellis davo williamson walker Baird Graham hamill.

Hope Donaldson shines in that right back position, would certianly ease a few fears about both the U19s and the right back berth....

Wish I was there.

living in England fucking sucks when the fitba seaosn comes around.

i could do with a little help guys.

i changed my email address on fantalk but it booted me out.

it now wont let me use my user name to log in also cant re-register as it says both email adresses are being used.

after a few trys it told me to message admin but how can i if i cant log on?

any help on how to resolve this would be appretiated.