The New Raith Rovers Thread

f**k, I thought he had already? :unsure: The Rovers website said he was one of those "retained" :unsure:

Pretty sure the Fife Free Press said he was yet to sign as he was on holiday. :ph34r: This may be incorrect, as I'm currently outside of Fife, and we all know how difficult it is to recieve or give news as soon as you reach the forth bridges/tay bridge/Stirlingshire.

Yeah said in either last weeks press or the week before that Bert was still in Negotiations with the club. Hopefully he will sign. Easily one of McGlynn's best signings to date. Immense!

We also received over a million for Crawford, Dair and Sinclair, none of which came through our youth ranks. McAnespie 900k again a young player not to come through our youth ranks. £2M from 4 players, not advocating that our youth set up be scraped but it appears to me we have reaped the rewards of other teams youth players, yet received very little over the years for our own. These 4 players also helped us win promotion, win a cup and play in Europe, the others mentioned above from our youth didn't.

Edited by raith1974

We also received over a million for Crawford, Dair and Sinclair, none of which came through our youth ranks. McAnespie 900k again a young player not to come through our youth ranks. £2M from 4 players, not advocating that our youth set up be scraped but it appears to me we have reaped the rewards of other teams youth players, yet received very little over the years for our own. These 4 players also helped us win promotion, win a cup and play in Europe, the others mentioned above from our youth didn't.

No we didn't and in the end instead of money got Paul Hartley as Millwall were skint.

Wasn't Dargo a product of our youth system? Can't recall if we got much money for him but I'd argue that his usefulness to the first team was more important than money.

Wasn't Dargo a product of our youth system? Can't recall if we got much money for him but I'd argue that his usefulness to the first team was more important than money.

He was and we didn't get any money for him if I recall. That said, I agree with you and I'd rather have had 5 years of Dargo playing for us than 2 years and £20 stuck in an envelope and addressed to the chairman.

It's also heartening to see that a player can leave Raith Rovers and stop scoring rather than join and stop.

He was and we didn't get any money for him if I recall. That said, I agree with you and I'd rather have had 5 years of Dargo playing for us than 2 years and £20 stuck in an envelope and addressed to the chairman.

It's also heartening to see that a player can leave Raith Rovers and stop scoring rather than join and stop.

Well, this is it. getting tonnes of money for unearthing the next mediocre thing is a nice bonus, but if we have a system where the young guys can step up into the first team, then that is the bread and butter of the system.

Another thing to note, the guys coming up this year are, I think, the first to start at the Rovers around the time Mcglynn rolled into town, so they are the first to come all the way through the reformed system. It may not mean much, but it will be interesting to see more of these guys playing, having spent longer in the McG system and youth training style than any previous lot. The fact is that there were guys in the last lot who could have stepped up, Brown, Wedderburn maybe McChechnie and Mackie. McG though had to make cuts somewhere, and I'll bet you that Wedderburn was canned becuase of his position, i.e. McG had plenty of cover there.

I also thought that the guys who came in on the last day of the seaosn did ok, not obviously out of place depsite the shite result that day. I'm not utterly depsondant about going into the seaosn needing to use these guys, of course I'm probably wrong, but we should at least let them have a go before we lose all hope.

Well, this is it. getting tonnes of money for unearthing the next mediocre thing is a nice bonus, but if we have a system where the young guys can step up into the first team, then that is the bread and butter of the system.

Another thing to note, the guys coming up this year are, I think, the first to start at the Rovers around the time Mcglynn rolled into town, so they are the first to come all the way through the reformed system. It may not mean much, but it will be interesting to see more of these guys playing, having spent longer in the McG system and youth training style than any previous lot. The fact is that there were guys in the last lot who could have stepped up, Brown, Wedderburn maybe McChechnie and Mackie. McG though had to make cuts somewhere, and I'll bet you that Wedderburn was canned becuase of his position, i.e. McG had plenty of cover there.

I also thought that the guys who came in on the last day of the seaosn did ok, not obviously out of place depsite the shite result that day. I'm not utterly depsondant about going into the seaosn needing to use these guys, of course I'm probably wrong, but we should at least let them have a go before we lose all hope.

I can't say I'm thrilled at the idea of being skint and using a group of youth players but likewise, I'm not overly bothered by it either. If we can limit the use of them to one or two per game, we'll survive comfortably and that's surely the only aim for this season.

Well, its good to see the pair of them working towards their badges as i think both will turn out to be relatively good managers.

Laurie Ellis will be a future Raith mananger in three seperate spells....

Graham Weir looks set to sign for Brechin, if anybody is interested.

Yeah saw that on the 2nd Div transfer thread, prob make sense to drop down a league he will probably do a good job for them