The New Raith Rovers Thread

Someone's claiming on fantalk that derek holmes in talks with raith. I hope not. Never rated him, and i think him and brian graham would be too similiar, a nippy, pacy striker (baird hopefully!) up front with graham would work better i reckon.

I've just a had of a flashback, my first goal hit the bar on it's way in, didn't it?

Honestly I'm not to sure, I'm pretty sure it was a well struck shot from range or something similar, I only remember it being a good goal because I said "Oaft" after it had went in, that's about as far as my appreciation of any opposition player will go...

Youth Development

Unfortunately lads you've got to realise that with all due respect to these boys, they are at the Rovers youth set up because they were not good enough to play at a higher level when they wer 14, 15 etc with the likes of celtic, rangers, motherwell's youth teams. It is very unlikely that you can improve to that level if you have never been at SPLyouth level when you were younger, Graham Weir is a good example of this.

Don't mean to be negative but this is the reality of our youth set up, and probably most teams youth set ups in the lower leagues. If other teams are more succesful it means out Scouting system is not working and needs to have a personel change.

Sad state of affairs and i hope im wrong, but don't think i will be unfortunately, as we could do with prodcuing some actual quality. = Hamilton for example.

Try going along and watching the games before making such sweeping statements. Without doing that how do you know how good the younger teams are. You also go on about them not being good enough because they haven't been signed by one of the bigger teams. What happened to the young guys who have come through the ranks at smaller clubs like Livingston and Hamilton then. For all you know we have more good players at 13 or 14 who are simply happy at Rovers and don't want to follow their mates to Hearts.

Why do so many Rovers fans feel the need to go on about the youth setup as if its a massive drain on the club's resources. Most (if not all) of the funding comes from direct sponsorship and money from the SFA. This money wouldn't be coming into the club at all if we didn't have a youth set up. It isn't taking anything away from the first team and could potentially unearth a superstar.

Did u ever watch Wedderburn??? Bombscare. If the boy wizny 6'6 he would never have got a look in as a youth player.

He was improving though, and god knows I was critical of him after that Morton game. He'd also just had a good bit of experience at Arbroath, so it's not just a case of not good enough as it is of being ready enough as well.

No doubt some of the young guys will make mistakes, but then to write them off simply because they are at the Rovers rather than the old firm is nonsensical.

Try going along and watching the games before making such sweeping statements. Without doing that how do you know how good the younger teams are. You also go on about them not being good enough because they haven't been signed by one of the bigger teams. What happened to the young guys who have come through the ranks at smaller clubs like Livingston and Hamilton then. For all you know we have more good players at 13 or 14 who are simply happy at Rovers and don't want to follow their mates to Hearts.

Why do so many Rovers fans feel the need to go on about the youth setup as if its a massive drain on the club's resources. Most (if not all) of the funding comes from direct sponsorship and money from the SFA. This money wouldn't be coming into the club at all if we didn't have a youth set up. It isn't taking anything away from the first team and could potentially unearth a superstar.

I think for most people the issue is probably that no one from the youth team has been deemed good enough to play for the full team in the last few years other that fleeting camo performances. You need to go back to Bryce and Dingwall for any that were given a decent amount of games

I'd be loath to throw any youngsters into the side, certainly at home, for fear of our moany-faced* fans getting on their backs.

*Irony alert

True tho, i find away trips tend to be better atmospheres and enjoyable than home games. Sad to say but true

Raith fans bang on about the youth set up becuase it does not give us any return.

To say its not a drain on our resources is totally untrue.

1) 100% of the costs are not covered by the SFA or sponsorship. Some of the operating budget goes on the youths

2) At least some of the money from sponsorship would come to the club even if the youth set up did not exist

3) If it was working properly we would have had players capable of featuring on the bench instead or spending extra cash on loan signing and has beens (who never played for us)

4) We take players on loan who then go back to their parent club and get a chance and become a success. We put players out on loan then free them.

5) we sign other young players who are obviously no better than what we can produce ourselves (but have freed).

Colin Cameron is our youth systems only success in the last 25 years. Does that not tell you something.

Other clubs like Livi and Hamilton can produce good players why not us? maybe its because they get a chance to play in the SFL and learn from the pro's. Instead our players are held back then released without a chance to learn the game.

Colin Cameron is our youth systems only success in the last 25 years. Does that not tell you something.

A bit harsh.......Stevie Crawford and Jason Dair, and not forgetting Brian Potter (how much did his one appearance make the club).

There have been others since, but not as memorable (Dene Shields?)

I agree it was nearly twenty years ago, but bringing these guys through the system was when the club started to improve, hopefully this can be the start of something special.

Apologies for being positive.

A bit harsh.......Stevie Crawford and Jason Dair, and not forgetting Brian Potter (how much did his one appearance make the club).

There have been others since, but not as memorable (Dene Shields?)

I agree it was nearly twenty years ago, but bringing these guys through the system was when the club started to improve, hopefully this can be the start of something special.

Apologies for being positive.

Stevie Crawford and Jason Dair did not come through our youth system. They signed from Dunfermline and if memory serves me right Davie Sinclair also came from the Pars having been their youth captain. Our youth system for years has sucked, we dont produce any players for the 1st team.

Stevie Crawford and Jason Dair did not come through our youth system. They signed from Dunfermline and if memory serves me right Davie Sinclair also came from the Pars having been their youth captain. Our youth system for years has sucked, we dont produce any players for the 1st team.

Disappointed to hear that, they made a mistake not keeping them then.

Is it that the gulf between youth and first team is too large?

Raith fans bang on about the youth set up becuase it does not give us any return.

To say its not a drain on our resources is totally untrue.

1) 100% of the costs are not covered by the SFA or sponsorship. Some of the operating budget goes on the youths

2) At least some of the money from sponsorship would come to the club even if the youth set up did not exist

3) If it was working properly we would have had players capable of featuring on the bench instead or spending extra cash on loan signing and has beens (who never played for us)

4) We take players on loan who then go back to their parent club and get a chance and become a success. We put players out on loan then free them.

5) we sign other young players who are obviously no better than what we can produce ourselves (but have freed).

Other clubs like Livi and Hamilton can produce good players why not us? maybe its because they get a chance to play in the SFL and learn from the pro's. Instead our players are held back then released without a chance to learn the game.

Agree with much of that.Recollect at a few AGM`s ago it was stated that that running the youth set up was a drain on the finances of the club even with SFA input.

There's not been much success with our youth team since the Calderon era but in the years before that we sold Derek Niven and Dene and Paul Shields all for more money than we managed to get for the Livi 3.

Amazing business considering they'd contributed virtually nothing to the 1st team.

Did we not also get money from Hibs for Kevin Nicol?