The New Raith Rovers Thread

Put down the bottle of Absinthe at once!

I'd be very happy if Kevin Smith returned, although our playing style would need a radical overhaul as neither Smith nor Graham are the quickest. If we could hang on to Baird, then at least we'd have one striker who could come off the bench and offer us something.

I would appreciate if this supposed big name was announced in the next couple of days, because I'm going on holiday on Friday and don't want to be 'that guy' who's on the internet every day to check the signing news!

always though Smith had a decent turn of pace. If and when Bairdy does leave its going to be interesting who will be our strikers as we will need at least 3 (providing we arent relying on Williamson as backup) but i guess until all the deals are registered and through we wont know any different. Is it June the window opens again?

He's not a slouch, but he's not the fastest either. We wouldn't get away with lumping the ball for him to chase like we currently do with Tadé and Baird, though.

And yeah, if Baird goes we'll certainly need another striker. Either that, or sign someone to play on the right and Williamson can be the back up. The problem is that we're desperately short in both midfield and up front, but are probably only going to bring in another 2 or 3. I'd argue we need at least 4 new players (two in each position), perhaps even 5 just son we've a bit depth.

I appreciate we're going to have a small squad, but depth is going to be a real problem. Hill and McBride both seem prone to injury, and Ellis will generally miss a month or so too, so we're going to be down to the bare bones quite a few times next season I fear.

Edited by Michael W

He's not a slouch, but he's not the fastest either. We wouldn't get away with lumping the ball for him to chase like we currently do with Tadé and Baird, though.

Yeah but thats maybe not a bad thing, encourage us to keep the ball on the deck a bit more

Yeah but thats maybe not a bad thing, encourage us to keep the ball on the deck a bit more

Much of the punting can be attributed to a lack of creativity from midfield, so we'll have to hope we sign an attack-minded midfielder and another winger. Maybe then we'll move away from the two sitting midfielder tactics in the middle, and be able to move away from the hoofball. Until we have a midfield that can create something, I'm afraid it's punt punt punt.

Not like we ask for a lot, eh? :P

Much of the punting can be attributed to a lack of creativity from midfield, so we'll have to hope we sign an attack-minded midfielder and another winger. Maybe then we'll move away from the two sitting midfielder tactics in the middle, and be able to move away from the hoofball. Until we have a midfield that can create something, I'm afraid it's punt punt punt.

Not like we ask for a lot, eh? :P

How many years have we been looking for one? :lol:

Im still hopeful that Walker can be moved back into the middle but McGlynn seems to like having him play wide which he has done well this season but think we would get a bit more out of him playing through the middle

:( To be honest, I think theres a myth in Scottish football about creative midfielders. And even if we do have one player with better ability than the others (Ferry early season) McGlynn tends to favor people who are more versatile like Williamson. Shame!

thats what puzzles me tho Ferry was versatile he has played left mid, centre and left back. Can only assume he was unhappy and wanted to go or McGlynn has an idea of other players to bring in. If it is going to be a smaller squad hopefully be more a focus on better quality players, plenty free transfers kicking about. Its like playing FM :lol:

How many years have we been looking for one? :lol:

Im still hopeful that Walker can be moved back into the middle but McGlynn seems to like having him play wide which he has done well this season but think we would get a bit more out of him playing through the middle

He would offer us a good threat going forward - he'd be there to recieve a forward pass therefore the strikers wouldn't have to drop so deep, and he's capable of putting on a few through balls.

From last season, that simply wasn't there. Davidson and Simmons both sat deep, and only the latter was any good for putting through a few passes (which he only did rarely with him primarilly being a sitting player). There was no option going forward, and the strikers were left isolated and had to drop back. If they weren't dropping back, we had to play the long ball.

:( To be honest, I think theres a myth in Scottish football about creative midfielders. And even if we do have one player with better ability than the others (Ferry early season) McGlynn tends to favor people who are more versatile like Williamson. Shame!

They're hard to come by, which is probably why so many teams play long balls.

As it stands though, we are going to have to change the way we play. Tadé was a huge part of why we got away with playing how we did, and it won't be anywhere near as effective without him.

Robert Sloan was the definition of a creative midfielder, and he was disliked by much of the support.

He contributed more than Simmons tho both had the same issue, constantly being caught in possession

I know its because they would be looking for a pass which is all we and good but they always tried to do it at times when they didnt have time to. Sloan's dead balls were a menance but his lack of pace and the aforementioned hesistation in his play meant he was often not a crowd favourite

Robert Sloan was the definition of a creative midfielder, and he was disliked by much of the support.

I think you have wonthe prize for understatement of the day.

Our main problem is that a major element of our fan base would rather watch a heidless chicken run about he park and contribute nothing.

Some of the passing and movement under Calderon (OK he vastly overspent his budget and it was only the 2nd division) was a joy to behold, but many times it was booed and he endured calls of just fecking hoof it, or get it up the park, or worse get McManus on.

Welcome aboard Brian, you scored more goals from less minutes on the pitch than the chap you are replacing and although you might not be as athletic or as hard working, we could use goals. So welcome.

As for the other specualtion. The 'big name'; I discount both Kevin Smith and the Argentinian Love God. My honest guess is that we'll get a player similar in style to Tadé to try and compliment Graham. Presuming that Baird leaves, if he stays i can't see a striker being signed.

I can still remember some of the Sloan critics on here saying that assists from corners didn't count towards his total assists tally. :lol:

Il admit i was a Sloan critic but only because of the amount of times he used to lose the ball, he setup alot of goals for us and remember having a discussion with a guy in a pub in Dunfermline after our 2-0 the first season we came up who coached both him and McFadden when they were younger and said Sloan was by far the better player. Funny how things go

Il admit i was a Sloan critic but only because of the amount of times he used to lose the ball, he setup alot of goals for us and remember having a discussion with a guy in a pub in Dunfermline after our 2-0 the first season we came up who coached both him and McFadden when they were younger and said Sloan was by far the better player. Funny how things go

Was he a lazy fucker as well?

Nah, I loved Sloan. He lost posession from time to time but his vision and his accuracy were second to none. Was quite gutted when he left.

On the subject of Brian Graham I remember watching the Morton 2-2 game this year at Starks. It's the only game I cant ever remember Mark Campbell being dominated in the air. He really had a tough game and it was Graham that caused it. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the game that alerted McGlynn. Tade was a crowd pleaser but was (and prob never will be) never a goalscorer. McBride had a stinker this season but he's only young so hopefully can push on a bit this season and get some decent crosses into the box for Graham...although that actually requires him to beat a man which he did seem scared of doing.

I'd like us to get someone attack minded in midfield. Doesn't need to be "creative" just offers something further forward. One of the reason the Pars got promoted was due to Hardie's goals. I think he scored more goals in half a season that our entire midfield did all season.