The New Raith Rovers Thread

I like Smith, he got a few injuries last season that knocked him off his stride but he was on fire at the start of the season and can get some good deliveries into the box. We absolutely have to have someone else lined up? Otherwise, if he goes, we'll have lost our first and second choice left wingers (Russell and Smith) as well as Sloan in midfield with no replacements. Unless Dyer is seen as a possible midfielder, of course.

Would be over the moon with Smith, wary of Deuchar but happy nonetheless. Both would be a dream. No doubt we'll only get Smith for three months and Deuchar will sign for someone else though, leaving us short up front again...

I wouldn't think we'd even be looking to try and sign both.

(Unless he's thinking about using Baird as a wide player, which might be possible but wouldn't make a lot of sense.)

I like Darren Smith, and I wouldn't be too pleased should he go (unless of course we bring in a replacement). He didn't have the best of seasons, but in all fairness he was injured pretty frequently. However, I've always had the impression McGlynn doesn't rate him too highly. That said, I personally think we need to get someone else in anyway (keeping Smith) as we don't have many options out wide.

The way this is going, the more I believe in my prediction that McGlynn will play Williamson on the left next season. I'm not overly enthusiastic about that, but we'll save that particular moan when the games actually start. If Smith goes and no-one else is brought in, it also indicates McGlynn might be looking to use Dyer further forward. As it is, I'm not as convinced as some others who seem to reckon he'll displace Ellis at LB.

As for the strikers - I'd much rather Kevin Smith than Deuchar. I think Deuchar is the more likely given the contract situation of the pair, but maybe Baird would flourish playing off Deuchar in the classic "big man wee man" style of forward pairings.

Finally, I'm absolutely delighted that no mention has been made of either of the Mcmanus'.

Darren Smith is a good enough player and capable of playing in the first division.

The problem he had last season was that he had a broken toe where his big toe nail was coming off slowly and had to get an injection on quite a few occasions to get by in the game.

It is fairly obvious that he is not McGlynn's type of player as he was always subbed off after 70 min no matter how well he or the team were doing - this in itself would contribute to his lack of sharpness.

How many times did we see Williamson have a poor game yet always start the next again game.

It would be a shame for him to go as he is the type of player that we rarely see these days.

Darren Smith is a good enough player and capable of playing in the first division.

The problem he had last season was that he had a broken toe where his big toe nail was coming off slowly and had to get an injection on quite a few occasions to get by in the game.

It is fairly obvious that he is not McGlynn's type of player as he was always subbed off after 70 min no matter how well he or the team were doing - this in itself would contribute to his lack of sharpness.

How many times did we see Williamson have a poor game yet always start the next again game.

It would be a shame for him to go as he is the type of player that we rarely see these days.

:) Hi Darren. *waves*

For what it's worth, I wouldn't punt Smith and if I were McGlynn I would play him whenever I could, I'm a big fan of the boy. He's not utterly fantastic, but he is a gutsy wee player who doesn't run around like a headless chicken (that was a dig at Ryan Borris). Instead, Smith whips in some great balls from out wide and can beat the full back on many an occasion.

I'm also a fan of Darren Smith. Hope we keep him.

I'd hate to play against him as he always has the defender on the back foot and he's unpredictable.

A shit player like myself would probably resort to kicking him in the air if I got close enough to him as I'd know that one poncy attempt at a fair tackle would see him make a complete c**t of me.

Darren Smith = White Gregory Tadé.

I'm also a fan of Darren Smith. Hope we keep him.

I'd hate to play against him as he always has the defender on the back foot and he's unpredictable.

A shit player like myself would probably resort to kicking him in the air if I got close enough to him as I'd know that one poncy attempt at a fair tackle would see him make a complete c**t of me.

Darren Smith = White Gregory Tadé.

He's also a hardy wee b*****d, not afraid to get stuck in.

I still laugh at him pushing that QoS player into the corner flag. :lol:

He's also a hardy wee b*****d, not afraid to get stuck in.

I still laugh at him pushing that QoS player into the corner flag. :lol:

Whenever someone says Smith's name, the first thing that comes into my head is that moment. I think it was the big centre back ?David Lilley? he pushed. Lilley, or whoever it was, looked to be foaming at the mouth in anger. :lol:

Whenever someone says Smith's name, the first thing that comes into my head is that moment. I think it was the big centre back ?David Lilley? he pushed. Lilley, or whoever it was, looked to be foaming at the mouth in anger. laugh.gif

i'm 99% certain it was ex-rover barry wilson.

Shame the ref got in the way that day as Barry Wilson was on his way off the pitch judging by the rage coursing through him.

I love Barry Wilson by the way. I was speaking to him at the bar in Jackie-O's one night and upon learning that I was a Rover he offered to buy me a jar.

Top man! :)

Anybody know who this winger is that we are rumoured to be signing or is it the usual fantalk rumour pish?

itsprobablyraith12thinkingwemightbeinwithashoutofsigningrobertocarlosbuthesnotsurewhatdoyouthink?