The New Raith Rovers Thread

According to this Clicky Simmons has scored two goals this season including one in the cup but he's scored two in the cup (Peterhead & Dundee) Can anybody remember him scoring in the league and who it was against? :unsure:

The official website isn't up to date either when it comes to goal scorers.

According to this Clicky Simmons has scored two goals this season including one in the cup but he's scored two in the cup (Peterhead & Dundee) Can anybody remember him scoring in the league and who it was against? :unsure:

The official website isn't up to date either when it comes to goal scorers.

He hasn't scored in the league yet.

I'm just listening to the latest edition of the fantastic "Treatment Table", and Iain Davidson's voice is so nasal it sounds like he's actually talking through his nose.

He's ace, though. I love Davo.

Yeh, I'm going to listen to that at work this morning, should be interesting.

Edited by St. Starko

Bit of a strange question this, I know, but does anyone know what version of Geordie Munro they played before the semi-final last Sunday?

I'd never heard it before, and quite enjoyed it.

Bit of a strange question this, I know, but does anyone know what version of Geordie Munro they played before the semi-final last Sunday?

I'd never heard it before, and quite enjoyed it.

I had never heard that version before and noticed that due to the different way in which it was sung, it resulted in sections of the fans starting the chorus before others. 'Geordie Munro' is one of the only songs that is unique to the Rovers and it would have been great to hear thousands of fans singing it in unison at Hampden but I feel the potential impact was lost due to this alternative version.

I had never heard that version before and noticed that due to the different way in which it was sung, it resulted in sections of the fans starting the chorus before others. 'Geordie Munro' is one of the only songs that is unique to the Rovers and it would have been great to hear thousands of fans singing it in unison at Hampden but I feel the potential impact was lost due to this alternative version.

To be fair when it's sung at the start of games people used to sing it too fast for the song itself, creating the same effect.

To be fair when it's sung at the start of games people used to sing it too fast for the song itself, creating the same effect.

True, the club should consider providing free singing lessons before or after games to resolve this problem biggrin.gif . There are some who do not know the different verses and there also seems to be some ambiguity regarding the chorus, some sing 'home in Kirkcaldy' and others 'here in Kirkcaldy' (which is correct).

Edited by placid casual RRFC

there seems to be some ambiguity regarding the chorus, some sing 'home in Kirkcaldy' and others 'here in Kirkcaldy' (which is correct).

Yeh, the extremely petty side of me gets slightly annoyed that people sing 'home'. Although when we're away from home, 'home in Kirkcaldy' sounds better as obviously we aren't 'here in Kirkcaldy'anymore. But yeh, the petty side of me. :P

Yeh, the extremely petty side of me gets slightly annoyed that people sing 'home'. Although when we're away from home, 'home in Kirkcaldy' sounds better as obviously we aren't 'here in Kirkcaldy'anymore. But yeh, the petty side of me. tongue.gif

smile.gif that's probably where the confusion has came from.

So, targets for next season then, boys?

And let's try to steer away from this "I hear we're signing a new defender from a 2nd Division club... *wink wink*" - if you know the name, give us the name. There's nothing worse than "I'm in the know, and you're not, ha ha" posts.

It seems to be fairly well known, although I've obviously seen no evidence, that we've arranged PCA with John Baird of Airdrie, and Willie Dyer of Brechin. I can't say I know too much about either, because I'm terrible at noticing individual opposition players, but Baird's goals speak for themselves, especially at a team so low in the league.

I don't know enough to be able to suggest specific players I'd like to see us sign, but I'd be pleased if we could sign 2 proper strikers (if Baird is one of them, fantastic), rather than midfield/forwards. Two fellas who are completely useless when deployed anywhere except up front, so they can be entirely focussed on that. It'd let us play 4-4-2, and we've got enough cover to fill in if one or both of them is injured for any time. It'd mean Tadé can get back to concentrating on playing the right wing, which I'd like to see.

I don't feel like Darren Smith's quite been given enough time to get into his role as our out-and-out left winger, and I can't really see that changing under John McGlynn, so if there is someone who he'd play left wing available, I'd like to see them come in. The centre of midfield I think is fine, if we stick to perming any 2 from Simmons, Davidson, and Walker.

In defence, a lot rests on how Mark Campbell's coming along. If he's going to be fine, excellent. If not, I think we'll need another centre half. Wilson should be fine at right-back, and we've got enough in the squad to deputise if he picks up another injury.

Presumably Gary O'Connor will be leaving, and there's no need to replace him. Just stick Amos on the bench, and if he's not actually good enough to replace McGurn in the event (God forbid) of a serious injury, we can loan in someone from the SPL.

I'd keep most of the squad. I don't think there's a need for wholesale changes. Two Strikers, one or two CMs and a Left winger are the main requirements. Maybe a new back up keeper too (rumours about Andy McNeil on that front), as well as an LB (Willie Dyer rumored). Depending on how Campbell does, we may need another cente back. Hopefully that isn't required.

I'm not sure about the rumours. I think the Dyer one is the most likely, as if we were relegated, it wouldn't be much of a loss. I'm making assumptions here, but Maxwell and Mckeown were probably on decent wages at Partick. That would be a financial risk, were we to be relegated.

I'd release the following players - Sloan, Shields, Davidson, Armstrong, O'Connor. Gathuessi I'm unsure about keeping given a couple of his recent performances, but I'd keep Ferry for back up purposes. Sloan, Shields and O'Connor rarely feature, so it makes sense for both parties. Armstrong: Dundee at home aside, hasn't impressed me, so I'd release him. Like Shields, he was only brought in to plug the gap with injuries anyway. I'd get rid of Davidson, because he's far too limited and I've never rated him. He's the kind of player that needs to go if we're to progress.

That's my opinion, but I think McGlynn will release the following - Sloan, Shields, Amaya, Gathuessi, Armstrong, O'Connor and maybe Ferry.

The core of a decent side is there, it's just the question of adding a few players.

McGurn

Wilson - Campbell - Murray - Ellis

Tadé - Walker - New CM - New LW

New ST - New ST

I'd keep the rest of the players that I don't want to see released. A few of them (Williamson, Smith and Weir) are signed anyway. Were they not, I'd have let Weir go. I'm not really a fan of Williamson either, but he has chipped in with a few goals for us, in fairness.

A couple of things I do NOT want to see next season:

A Simmons and Davidson CM partnership

Allan Walker being punted out right to accomodate the above pairing

I also see that the ever-sensible Whistle Blower was suggesting we try to take a look at Martyn Campbell.

I can't decide if that's an excellent or a terrible idea.

A Campbell Brothers central defensive partnership would be tougher than the soles of Ghandi's feet, but it'd also be slower than the arrangements for our next AGM, and have as many good knees as a basket of snakes. You could effectively rule out us conceding a single header all year, but a pacey striker with quick feet could go straight through our central defence like a javelin through a toddler.

Ultimately, I don't think it's the right move. If Mark Campbell's fit, then we don't need another central defender. If he's not fit, I don't think Martyn is good enough to displace either Dougie Hill or Grant Murray (although he's not getting any younger).

If, for whatever reason, we were to lose either Murray or Hill in the summer, and Sparky gets through all his medical tests with flying colours, and we could get Martyn on the cheap, then it'd maybe be worth another look. As things are though, it's a no-goer.

Agree with most of what has been said in the last two or three posts. Don't think we need wholesale changes to the core of the squad. All those here on loan or temporary contracts will presumably be leaving - Russell, Armstrong, Mole, Gatheussi, Shields, Amaya; possibly O'Connor and probably Sloan. I'd keep Ferry, if possible. (And Davidson, which I would think goes without saying.)

Already contracted, I believe, are Wilson, Murray,Smith, Williamson, Tadé, Weir. (There was a rumour about Weir leaving, and I daresay we'd let him if he's got something else fixed up, but he's under contract so I'll leave him in for now.)

We can't assume all those out of contract will stay even if we want them to - I'm a bit concerned that McGurn and Walker, in particular, might get better offers elsewhere. There was a rumour that Hill is going full-time with us, which I hope is true, of all the part-time players he's the one you'd think is most at the stage of his career to benefit.

With a bit of luck that'll give us McGurn, Wilson, Ellis, Campbell, Murray, Hill, Simmons, Walker, Davidson, Smith, Ferry, Williamson, Tadé, Weir.

I'm pretty happy with the defence and midfield there. McGlynn has shown he's not afraid to start with a small squad and add to it as circumstances unfold so if all we added to that over the summer was two forwards that'd be fine by me. If Baird is one I'm quite happy, took that second goal against us very well the other week. I'm rubbish at noticing opposition players too but Dyer is another one I've noticed in the past - looked pretty solid, very much a defender rather than an attacking full-back like Wilson. But if we're signing him and especially if we're signing these boys from Partick too, that suggests to me that at least one of the defenders I've listed as staying on probably isn't doing, which worries me a bit. Is Campbell under serious long-term doubt?

Tactically, I also agree with the above, the attempt to convert Tadé into a full-time centre-forward didn't work and hopefully he can be left on the wing. Conversely, Walker is wasted on the wing and similarly Williamson has had his best games in a more or less free role in midfield. Which is another reason why it's difficult to fit all of Walker, Simmons and Davidson into the same team, but I'm hoping we can keep them all anyway.

So all of that leaves us needing one more forward. The names I want to mention are Kevin Smith and Pat Clarke but we won't get either. Don't know who else there is. Rory McAllister, maybe?