The New Raith Rovers Thread

A mostly youthful team lost 1-0 at Musselburgh tonight. Dougie Hill, Lee Bryce, Tam Graham and Mark Whatley were the only players with first team experience. Some of the rest looked like they were still at school.

The first half was a bit of a non event and the goal just after half time was well struck. Kind of kick started the Rovers into life and Keiron Renton (yes, him) made a couple of good saves. Ross Laidlaw in goals went off injured with about 10 to go so we had someone who may have been a midfielder or striker from the bench in goals and Musselburgh had a man sent off in the last min for abusing the ref

Anybody have much of an idea who our 'last piece of the jigsaw' loan striker might be? I was led to believe it could be a certian Gary Glen, however I am sure I read on here or somewhere elce it is a Scottish lad based down south. Could this be Kris Renton from Norwich perhaps? Anybody know anything or have any ideas as to who this elusive player may be? I hope the deal can be finalised before saturdays clash with Stirling Albion.

Your first presumption may not be too far off the mark.

Was it not Zemmama? Number 7 I think, I was really impressed with him. He was the one player that looked like he could make something happen for Hibs. Some shot on him as well.

Used to watch Hibs a bit when I was at uni in Edinburgh and I couldn't believe Mixu didn't fancy Zemmama. A hell of a player who can actually play football - which I guess is precisely why Mixu didn't fancy him.

Hell has no fury like God scorned after Big Marv does a runner.

:lol:

--------

Hope we get Gary Glen

A mostly youthful team lost 1-0 at Musselburgh tonight. Dougie Hill, Lee Bryce, Tam Graham and Mark Whatley were the only players with first team experience. Some of the rest looked like they were still at school.

The first half was a bit of a non event and the goal just after half time was well struck. Kind of kick started the Rovers into life and Keiron Renton (yes, him) made a couple of good saves. Ross Laidlaw in goals went off injured with about 10 to go so we had someone who may have been a midfielder or striker from the bench in goals and Musselburgh had a man sent off in the last min for abusing the ref

A very Good Raith Team and the game was a very good friendly with some tastey tackles on a beautiful pitch espite the constant rain

All at Musselburgh wish Raith all the best for the new season and hope you will come andsupport us when your not playing!

A very Good Raith Team and the game was a very good friendly with some tastey tackles on a beautiful pitch espite the constant rain

All at Musselburgh wish Raith all the best for the new season and hope you will come andsupport us when your not playing!

Thought Musselbrugh did well, especially defensively, but I think the extra size of their players made most of the difference really.

Good luck for the season

Anybody have much of an idea who our 'last piece of the jigsaw' loan striker might be? I was led to believe it could be a certian Gary Glen, however I am sure I read on here or somewhere elce it is a Scottish lad based down south. Could this be Kris Renton from Norwich perhaps? Anybody know anything or have any ideas as to who this elusive player may be? I hope the deal can be finalised before saturdays clash with Stirling Albion.

I'm not bothered about having anything finalised before Saturday, Yes we do want another striker but no rush, I'm comfortable starting the season with the squad we've got.

I'm not bothered about having anything finalised before Saturday, Yes we do want another striker but no rush, I'm comfortable starting the season with the squad we've got.

I think it would to whoever it was good to play a couple of games before the league season started but I am not overly bothered I think I just want to find out who it is more than anything.

Bugger! As an East Lothian Rover I would have gone if I had remembered/know of this fixture.

A poor excuse! If only you had looked at the excellent Musselburgh Athletic ' The Pride Of East Lothian' Website and Raiths super website mentions the game - and I was at Starks Park on Tuesday night to promote the game with my blue Musselburgh top on! (which is still wet!)

However do not despair MATCH HIGHLIGHTS will be available on the Burghs site on Saturday as the camera is being charged up for FRIDAY NIGHT - The players are going through the town as part of the Musselburgh parade on an open top bus with the cups they won last year.

A fantastic day to look forward to and one which I never thought i would see!

No more plugging the Double Double winning side who will be East Lothians first ever Super league team this season - i'm afraid if you want more info musselburghathletic.com is the place to go!!

No more plugging the Double Double winning side who will be East Lothians first ever Super league team this season - i'm afraid if you want more info musselburghathletic.com is the place to go!!

I look forward to reading all about it in the East Lothian Courier ;)

Yep and with sloan back were looking pretty good right now.

Not according to the Press

Rovers have a verbal agreement with an SPL club regarding an on loan striker.Deal unlikely to be done in time for Saturday

I've still not seen the team yet this season but I've been impressed with the reports on how the team is playing. Make no mistake, this is going to be a tough season but I'm increasingly confident that we will be able to do it. We haven't broken the bank in a bid to stay up but we have a fair amount of talent in the squad. My only concern is taht a few injuries/ suspensions would leave us very light.

Even if we were to go down at the end of the season we would be in a much stronger position to return than the last time we were relegated. The club is definitely moving in the right direction and building a pretty solid base.

I'm not tingling but there is a flutter of excitement about the new season!

The main thing is to make sure we get a striker in in time for the QOS game. Any striker would most likely be cup tied against the Fife in any case.

Presumably the delay will be to allow the player to complete pre-season with his employers.

Even if we were to go down at the end of the season we would be in a much stronger position to return than the last time we were relegated. The club is definitely moving in the right direction and building a pretty solid base.

This is what I'm hoping for. I don't think we'll be able to stay up, but there's no doubt with a bit of luck we can. However, as you say, I think if we got relegated we obviously, will be in a much better position than we were last time we were relegated.

Just what is all this pessimism from you guys. Division one is not the english premiership and theres not that much to choose from the lot of us.

I can understand you not wanting to get too carried away, but jesus all this negativity is way over the top. No one said it was going to be easy, but you lot appear to have capitulated already.

We may not have the biggest squad, but we sure as hell have a good squad that is more than capable of dishing out many shocks this season.

I think the lang toun should be renamed after you guys. DOOM TOWN

This is what I'm hoping for. I don't think we'll be able to stay up, but there's no doubt with a bit of luck we can. However, as you say, I think if we got relegated we obviously, will be in a much better position than we were last time we were relegated.

Why "obviously"? Football is never that simple and there are too many imponderables there. It can be very ahrd to tell how well a group of players will spark and fit togther, let alone trying to do so twelve months hence for a group we don't yet know about. And that's even if it's possible to analyse your own chances independently of what's happening at other teams, which it isn't.

I don't really see any reason to be so pessimistic about our survival chances this season anyway, we'll be fine.

Why "obviously"? Football is never that simple and there are too many imponderables there.

Basically, we aren't reeling from the fallout of a failed experiment from some French goon.

I know it isn't black and white, but there is a far better structure in place now than there was when Dalziel came in after Anelka.