The New Raith Rovers Thread

Notice you guys have been splashin' the cash recently in terms of new acquisitions. I'm guessing 'the man from Kelty' came with deep pockets?

Well good luck and all that but todays news regarding Partick's predicament should perhaps be borne in mind...not just by your club  ...by all of us!

4 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Notice you guys have been splashin' the cash recently in terms of new acquisitions. I'm guessing 'the man from Kelty' came with deep pockets?

Well good luck and all that but todays news regarding Partick's predicament should perhaps be borne in mind...not just by your club  ...by all of us!

Our chairman and vice chairman aren't short of a few bob either. 

If all goes well, it should be the safest the Rovers have been for decades, if not all time. 

I don’t think we’ll be spending mental sums of cash. The budget will be bigger than last years, but we’ve also released Lang, Spencer, Nolan and MacDonald who will all have been on varying degrees of healthy wages. A big part of the new board’s message has been that we needed to get control of player contracts and make them work for us, instead of just the player. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Our chairman and vice chairman aren't short of a few bob either. 

If all goes well, it should be the safest the Rovers have been for decades, if not all time. 

Thats assuming there isnt another 2008/9 style financial crash around the corner...thats when the 'moneymen' run for cover and take care of their priorities and sadly....football aint one of them (as a rule).

Anyway..... best of luck.

7 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Thats assuming there isnt another 2008/9 style financial crash around the corner...thats when the 'moneymen' run for cover and take care of their priorities and sadly....football aint one of them (as a rule).

As noted above, the mental spending seems to have been 2020-2021, where the BoD authorized 150% the previous years wages to get promoted. Some of those contracts apparently were a wee bit club unfriendly and contained silly auto increases. It seems the recent spending has been more restrained with a focus on younger players. The contracts dished out have been by experienced people who were harshly critical of the previous ones, so I expect they are more favorable to the club.

7 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Your concerns for our well being are really touching, but we're not spending money we dont have which given our history over the years is a refreshing change, these new co-owners have their heads screwed on the right way as far as I can see

42 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

It's all well fixed for SPL teams in the final, wouldn't waste my time with this cup anymore, SFA ripping the total pish as usual.  😧

You're maybe right, because someone was saying it's 29 years since a team from outwith the top flight won it. Can anyone confirm?

It's only really been an important cup from the 60s to the late 90s when it brought European qualification for the winners.

33 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Fingers crossed.

However, there seems to be a perception that because we appear to be doing our business early, in contrast to last season, that we're splashing the cash. It's worth remembering we rarely, if ever, came close to filling a bench last season, as you'll know from our most recent visit to Cappielow, therefore we were always likely to require more squad depth.

12 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Fingers crossed.

However, there seems to be a perception that because we appear to be doing our business early, in contrast to last season, that we're splashing the cash. It's worth remembering we rarely, if ever, came close to filling a bench last season, as you'll know from our most recent visit to Cappielow, therefore we were always likely to require more squad depth.

And that we're not paying transfer fees worth talking about, and letting high earners go.

Looks impressive but I doubt it's the cash splash some perceive it to be.

51 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

We've been signing players on 2-3 year contracts, they're still on a monthly wage like the rest of the players, no splashing involved.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

We've been signing players on 2-3 year contracts, they're still on a monthly wage like the rest of the players, no splashing involved.

I'm grateful for your input.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

You're maybe right, because someone was saying it's 29 years since a team from outwith the top flight won it. Can anyone confirm?

It's only really been an important cup from the 60s to the late 90s when it brought European qualification for the winners.

Looks like 94-95 Raith was the last…so, yea, it will be 29 if a top tier team wins this year.

15 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Colin smart who is another new board member and been a season ticket holder for many a year and  recently sold his care home business for a reported 40million also ex owner John Sim is still involved along with another new board member Ruaridh Kilgour another die in the wool rovers fans who owns a very large successful  company , I think we are being prudent Jamie Macdonald was offered a new deal at-reduced terms hence why he’s left . The flip side of the coin is we have never recovered from having to redevelop Starks Park when other clubs like yourself done nothing along with the likes of Ayr etc  , Partick , Falkirk , Dunfermline and the Rovers have all suffered financially due to this but now at least have stadia suitable for modern day football . It’s always the same opposing fans are second guessing teams are going to go to the wall judging on who they sign but as I’ve previously stated we have offered pay cuts to some individuals but my best advice is concentrate on your own team 

QP announced that they are playing at Hampden again. I posted it on their thread but I will post my views here (as I know Pie and Bovril is read and the board are aware of fans views, and also  many folks on here are part of the fans groups that communicate with the club. I think this is the thin edge of the wedge and needs to be stopped from becoming the norm. It would allow QP, if ever promoted into the Prem to likely average the 6th minimum (maybe higher?) highest attendances every year due to away gates. They could effectively cement their selves there, unfairly. Hope the Rovers and other clubs take this seriously and move to prevent this.

To be honest this is full bullshit.

If Lesser is OK for games before September, it should be used all season. It sets a shite precedent that 'renting' big stadiums is OK if you want to increase a crowd. If QP get through the league cup and draw one of the Bigot Brothers at home they will get a massive pay day which is fully unfair (50k crowd at £20 a ticket is 1 million pounds)

Next time the Rovers draw one of the Bigots at home in the cup, shall we just 'rent' Hampden (or better yet, Celtic park) for the day and cash in 50/60k ticket sales? 

Does this mean if QP ever get to the premier league they have the option of doing this every big game they want? 

I like watching the Rovers play at Hampden, and living in Battlefield, I am glad that QP will be playing in Mount Florida. I was also gutted that I might miss out on getting a ticket for Lesser due to capacity, too. So getting to the games next year is something I am grateful for.

But QP are no longer an amateur, 4th tier side. They are ambitious, with big money backers and trying to get promoted to the premier league. To me they should not be treated in 'cuddly' fashion and I would hope Championship/League 1 and (any team that can be relegated from the top flight - so 10/12) should be against this. And making sure it doesn't become a habit.

46 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

QP announced that they are playing at Hampden again. I posted it on their thread but I will post my views here (as I know Pie and Bovril is read and the board are aware of fans views, and also  many folks on here are part of the fans groups that communicate with the club. I think this is the thin edge of the wedge and needs to be stopped from becoming the norm. It would allow QP, if ever promoted into the Prem to likely average the 6th minimum (maybe higher?) highest attendances every year due to away gates. They could effectively cement their selves there, unfairly. Hope the Rovers and other clubs take this seriously and move to prevent this.

To be honest this is full bullshit.

If Lesser is OK for games before September, it should be used all season. It sets a shite precedent that 'renting' big stadiums is OK if you want to increase a crowd. If QP get through the league cup and draw one of the Bigot Brothers at home they will get a massive pay day which is fully unfair (50k crowd at £20 a ticket is 1 million pounds)

Next time the Rovers draw one of the Bigots at home in the cup, shall we just 'rent' Hampden (or better yet, Celtic park) for the day and cash in 50/60k ticket sales? 

Does this mean if QP ever get to the premier league they have the option of doing this every big game they want? 

I like watching the Rovers play at Hampden, and living in Battlefield, I am glad that QP will be playing in Mount Florida. I was also gutted that I might miss out on getting a ticket for Lesser due to capacity, too. So getting to the games next year is something I am grateful for.

But QP are no longer an amateur, 4th tier side. They are ambitious, with big money backers and trying to get promoted to the premier league. To me they should not be treated in 'cuddly' fashion and I would hope Championship/League 1 and (any team that can be relegated from the top flight - so 10/12) should be against this. And making sure it doesn't become a habit.

I agree bud definitely circumvents the rules / spirit of the game 😂