The New Raith Rovers Thread

OK, so we send Mitchell out on loan to sink or swim…that puts the team at 19 + 1 on loan. Arnott could be loaned as is, so 18+2…Masson needs to play or get loaned, still 18+2 until we get CB’s in.

We add a GK, two CB and 1 FB, we’re at 22+2 and still can’t loan Masson…so one more CB/FB capable player or a LB with Dick to CB if we want to loan out Masson…that’s then 22+3 (Masson out on loan) or 22+2 (Masson kept in house and that signing not made). I think Masson on loan makes more sense with Corr brought in. That leaves two more signings to make 24, perhaps keep Mitchell and Arnott home till loans show up?

Edited by TxRover

3 minutes ago, renton said:

So, what's the deal here? Is Murray gonna try and emulate Guardiola's 3-2-4-1 formation to fit all these No 10s in?

Maybe ask the SFA for a waiver to play the youth rules…you know, everyone plays at least a half?

7 minutes ago, renton said:

So, what's the deal here? Is Murray gonna try and emulate Guardiola's 3-2-4-1 formation to fit all these No 10s in?

Murrayball 1-2-6-1 when we're behind going into.the last 15mins. 

Or it's away with the 1 striker formation and we've got 2 space for 4 strikers out of Hamilton, Gullan, Vaughan and Smith.

Connolly, Mullin, Easton and Ross for two wide positions. 

Stanton, Brown, McGill and Matthews for the two central positions.

It's 4-4- fucking-2 I tells ya.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

No offence to Ross, I know and we all know he has talent. Just think that injury has knocked his confidence. If he stays with us I’d like him to go to Cove on loan, that totally makes sense. 

That's a really interesting point - given how the squad is shaping up, it might make sense for one or both of Ross and Gullan to go out on loan (just not to another Championship club, as that's bitten us on the bum before!) Both are coming off the back of injury-hit seasons and are into the final year of their contracts with us. Would reduce our outlay on their wages, and give them a chance to rebuild their confidence and get some game time. We also then have the option to recall them if they are doing well and/or need cover.

9 minutes ago, renton said:

Or it's away with the 1 striker formation and we've got 2 space for 4 strikers out of Hamilton, Gullan, Vaughan and Smith.

Connolly, Mullin, Easton and Ross for two wide positions. 

Stanton, Brown, McGill and Matthews for the two central positions.

It's 4-4- fucking-2 I tells ya.

I think it’s more likely a flexible 4-4-2/4-2-4 approach, but you could well be right the IM 4-2-3-1 has seen it’s day. The majority of our wingers are described as AM or wingers versus forwards. Both these formations demand a lot of effort, and now we have the replacements to slot in as players wear down.

Airdrie posters report he likes to play wide left and cut in…hummmmm, sound familiar…but they also say he never gives up and tracks back well to help the fullback…that’s a bit different than Dario.

I know Raith have a lot of attacking midfielders/wide players now but I do think Smith is pretty different to most of them. He’s pretty much Murray’s perfect wide player, someone who is quick, can run at a defender but also works incredibly hard and will cover full backs when needed. He can be a bit of a shitebag with 50/50s at times but he never hides and even when he’s on a poor run, he’s usually trying too hard rather than not wanting the ball. 

I would say that he’s probably still unproven at this level but I think he’s good enough to be a regular starter and chip in with around 10 goals in a decent team. Mullin, Connolly, Vaughan, Smith, Ross, Gullan, Stanton, Brown, Matthews, McGill and Hamilton is a very strong group of players for the front six positions. I’m genuinely very intrigued to see how Ian Murray, a man not shy about rotating things every week when he doesn’t know his best team, goes about fitting them all in.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Airdrie posters report he likes to play wide left and cut in…hummmmm, sound familiar…but they also say he never gives up and tracks back well to help the fullback…that’s a bit different than Dario.

He’s nothing like Zanatta really. Yes they both favour playing on the left wing and cutting inside but very different players in terms of everything else.