The New Raith Rovers Thread

29 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Don't know why Spencer has dragged this out to the 11th hour he probably knew where he was going before now especially if its 12 miles along the road.

It seemed pretty obvious he was going the minute we lost to Hamilton, had nothing to play for anymore and he suddenly got injured never to reappear.

Going to guess that the club have known he’s leaving but because he technically had until yesterday to activate the clause it’s just dragged it out a bit.

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him and MacDonald join McGlynn at Falkirk and both would be standouts at that level. Wish him all the best. 

No offence to them both, but if they end up at Falkirk I wish them anything but the best...

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Arnott has been playing AM roles literally every time I’ve looked, so unless IM sees something special there, seems unlikely. also, as much as I like Arnott, he seems to have stagnated the last couple of years, so I’m not sure he’d be here if his contract was expiring.

McGill would be the obvious short term project at DM…we’ve seen him play both FB and Mid, so it’s in his range. He may “want” to be a No. 10, but a quality DM is a role he could really make a name as. We haven’t seen nearly enough of him to tell if he can do that role, but IM has worked with him for much longer than last season, so he knows what he’s got in McGill.

Meanwhile, we have 19 players, and if we can reasonably assume Masson, Mitchell and Arnott will see loans this year, at least until Christmas, that leaves 16 players; 2 GK, 3 Defenders, 7 Midfielders/Wingers and 4 Forwards (using the RRFC position titles). The reality is we need:

Goalkeepers: Need one, probably a starter.

Defenders: Depends, do we sign a starting LB and convert Dick to CB? Irregardless, we need at least one CB, preferably 2 or 3 (Dick could be one of these) and cover at FB (ideally one player that can cover either side) plus perhaps a starting LB.

Midfielders: We need another midfielder or two, perhaps a DM, we’re decent on the offensive options.

Forwards: It wouldn’t be surprising to see one more, perhaps a younger player (could be Mitchell).

If we are aiming for a squad of 24, then we're 5 short. 

You'd guess that 3 of those will be defenders, 1 a goalkeeper and either a replacement for Spencer in midfield or another centre forward to compete with Hamilton. 

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

You'd guess that 3 of those will be defenders, 1 a goalkeeper and either a replacement for Spencer in midfield or another centre forward to compete with Hamilton. 

I assumed 3 out on loan, so 8 short. Add 1 GK, 3 CB, 1 FB, 1 Mid, 1 Forward…leaves one extra spot.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm not convinced that we will have 24 including Arnott, Masson and Mitchell. All 3 are likely to leave on loan. I can see more than 5 coming in including loans.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I assumed 3 out on loan, so 8 short. Add 1 GK, 3 CB, 1 FB, 1 Mid, 1 Forward…leaves one extra spot.

2 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'm not convinced that we will have 24 including Arnott, Masson and Mitchell. All 3 are likely to leave on loan. I can see more than 5 coming in including loans.

I took it he was talking about 24 players including the 2 or 3 that go out on loan. I can't see us adding more than half a dozen more. 

Brads away and fair f***s to him, decent player in his time here but not a stand out last season nor irreplaceable. I get what folks are saying about him being the main player dropping deep to move it forwards but last season without Matthews that wasn't happening so much, it seemed to work better when they were both on the park, with only Brad I often thought we were far too easy to suss out and negate. Hopefully this transfer will see us develop different ideas.

As for the season tickets I'm neither disappointed nor surprised, it is what it is, and as others have said everything else is going up too. I didn't bother with a season ticket last year for the 1st time in about 30 years.  I was disappointed with the clubs treatment of fans post covid by not even offering an early bird deal and I stuck stuck to my guns, my main beef being that as I am on a shift rotation I am away for 40% of the time and as a result only see about 11 or 12 league homes per season, at the current rate of £315 that means I will be paying £26 a game, ergo I'm better off paying at the gate and buying extra 50/50s. Some win and some lose eh?

13 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Ross County look terrible and this is a blueprint this game on how to beat them, I would suspect mind you them chucking a load of money at it to go up first time 

Uncle Roy writes off their losses every season, so he'll be writing a larger than normal cheque at the end of next year. 

It's a change, but I'd prefer Partick staying down. County will spend what it takes and Dundee United will probably do likewise. 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I took it he was talking about 24 players including the 2 or 3 that go out on loan. I can't see us adding more than half a dozen more. 

You may well be right but 21 players if 3 go on loan, with 3 keepers leaves us very short again should we get a couple of injuries and suspensions.

I just feel my will bring in another 5, 1 x GK, 2 x CH, 1 x LB, 1 x CF. When we send the youngsters out on loan we will replace them with decent loan players.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Uncle Roy writes off their losses every season, so he'll be writing a larger than normal cheque at the end of next year. 

It's a change, but I'd prefer Partick staying down. County will spend what it takes and Dundee United will probably do likewise. 

Agree with this. It feels like everyone else will be playing for 3rd if Ross County come down. 

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Aye it’ll be a lot of money to make up for especially them losing the sky money plus losing 6 guaranteed games against the Old Firm next year 

1 minute ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Aye it’ll be a lot of money to make up for especially them losing the sky money plus losing 6 guaranteed games against the Old Firm next year 

Don't feel too sorry for them, they get a parachute payment for up to two seasons.

Just now, RRFC_Liam said:

He sold Global Energy Group earlier this year and I'm pretty sure he runs an investment firm. Throw in the parachute payment, and they're still one of the most financially secure clubs in Scotland while he's involved. 

5 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

He is a very, very wealthy man. They'll be absolutely fine as long as he's around.

Whilst the club is spending beyond its means, it's also being done in a manner which doesn't leave the club sitting on a ticking timebomb. Unlike most of the bankrollers Scottish football has seen, he writes it off and so there isn't a pile of debt mounting up behind him. 

7 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Interesting to see if we replace him with another central midfielder. We've a tonne of number 10s but very few who can act in a more deep lying role. Do agree that he wasn't nearly as influential in his last few months.

We have a defensive midfielder in Mathew's and Brown and several attacking midfielders. I don't think we actually reallyy need to replace him like for like. What was missing was a player up front for a midfielder to use as a focal point to bring the forward line into play as opposed to playing it square, back or to nobody up front. 

2 hours ago, foreverarover said:

We have a defensive midfielder in Mathew's and Brown and several attacking midfielders. I don't think we actually reallyy need to replace him like for like. What was missing was a player up front for a midfielder to use as a focal point to bring the forward line into play as opposed to playing it square, back or to nobody up front. 

Did you see we signed Jack Hamilton?