The New Raith Rovers Thread

According to the Courier, looks like Jammer was offered another year but at a reduced wage, however he wanted a year extension at the same wage he was on. He must've been on a fair old whack if we weren't willing to meet him at whatever McGlynn contracted him for. 

5 minutes ago, MC_Lachlan said:

According to the Courier, looks like Jammer was offered another year but at a reduced wage, however he wanted a year extension at the same wage he was on. He must've been on a fair old whack if we weren't willing to meet him at whatever McGlynn contracted him for. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he was our highest earner, and whatever else was in his McGlynn contract, good keeper and will be a miss if we dont get as good a replacement  

54 minutes ago, MC_Lachlan said:

Just read that also.

It was alluded to previously when the Fife Gretna names were coming out on the back of the 3 year deals, but in a way it's actually reassuring that we are not just handing out blanket wage increases everywhere. It's almost certain that MacDonald would have been on one of those McGlynn contracts with the built in wage increases and it's fair to say he'd be in the top 2 or 3 top earners bracket. He's 37, so I think we have to draw the line somewhere, and as much as I would have liked to see him for another year, I can't argue with the decision we've taken.

1 minute ago, RRFC_Liam said:

That’s Spencer Confirmed he’s away 

I think his time has come to a natural end with us. I thought he was excellent until the end of last year but he was off his game in the last few months of the season. I really don't see that we need another midfielder so I wouldn't even bother replacing him.

No arguing he's been a very good player for us overall though.

3 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

That’s Spencer Confirmed he’s away 

I’m not too bothered, we have to try other players, if we keep re signing the same players that had us finishing in 7th, then the only way is down. The new guys that have come in might not be suited to Spencers taking it slow approach. Hopefully we have our eyes on  defence and a goalie. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think his time has come to a natural end with us. I thought he was excellent until the end of last year but he was off his game in the last few months of the season. I really don't see that we need another midfielder so I wouldn't even bother replacing him.

No arguing he's been a very good player for us overall though.

Agree with this. It's a wage that can be put to better use elsewhere, particularly on a new goalkeeper or an experienced CB. 

I'm sure he'll be a good signing wherever he ends up. Will be a bit disappointing if he ends up at Ayr or something, right enough. 

17 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

United will charge through the nose - both the Dundee clubs have always had ridiculous prices. I'm sure Dundee were charging £21 or £22 the year we won the League under McIntyre and we were charging about £16 at the time.

I just finished doing the math in the ST thread..basically DU should be at £30-33 PATG, given their announced ST rates (£460-500 final full price adult)…and at £30 the ST savings is only 2 matches…

Wanna bet they tier the prices with the Pars, Raith and ICT at higher rates than the rest?

Oh, and @SanStarko, the 10% discount is actually a club credit that can be used “across the club”…

Edited by TxRover

Shame that Brad is away but wasn't unexpected. He's from the west coast and suspect he'll have something lined up over there. Always tried for the club so goes with my best wishes.

With Matthews coming back we have a midfielder we didn't have last season plus Arnott, albeit he needs to show he can step up to this level still. Given we tried to keep him Spencer we'll be in for another midfielder now.

Edited by Ding Dang Doo

I wonder if Spencer might be heading to the States, given his youth career and family connections? Agree his time with us had come to a natural end, and with Matthews coming back from injury and McGill signed we do have options in that area of the pitch alongside Brown. 

Also agree with a lot of the comments above about how we're spending our budget. As well as MacDonald moving on, the fact we've only offered Dick a one year extension and have signed Scott McGill for one year initially suggests we're not just handing out lucrative contracts to anyone for the sake of it. But the fact we're able to get guys players like Hamilton, Connolly and Mullin - who won't have been short of options - tied down on multi-year deals hopefully shows our new owners have got a clear vision, and that they're able to sell it to players.

Spencer has been a really good signing for us, given the style we've played. He should be a good signing where ever he goes, assuming they play to his strengths, let him get the ball short from the CBs and let him spray it around. We really missed him after January 21/22 season and the start of the season just gone.

If Murray wants a different game plan then it might not be too much of a miss. We have Brown, McGill and a returning Matthews who should provide a more all action presence in the middle. Stanton and Easton could both go in there as well. None of them has the same skill set as Spencer but all should give us a high energy, high press in midfield.

Sad to see Spencer go, he’s been an excellent midfielder for us but his form really did tail off in the second half of the season and again would imagine he would have been one of our higher earning players given his stock when he signed his contract last summer which his recent performances didn’t warrant. Albeit I think it was just a drop off in form rather than anything which would indicate it was a longer term decline in quality.

I would like another midfielder to replace him but agree it wouldn’t be a priority. I would actually like his replacement to be a different type of player and more in the Matthews/Brown mould. Kind of the style when we had our great run under MacKinnon of a solid back 4 with two combative midfielders in front giving the front 4 the freedom to be creative.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him and MacDonald join McGlynn at Falkirk and both would be standouts at that level. Wish him all the best. 

30 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Interesting to see if we replace him with another central midfielder. We've a tonne of number 10s but very few who can act in a more deep lying role. Do agree that he wasn't nearly as influential in his last few months.

For current players who can partner with Brown, we have Matthews (and McGill and Stanton), so I’d say it’s not the priority CB/CH is.

On the PATG prices breaching £20, DU made the statement that the costs of putting on a match were up 66% over the last year or so, which seems a bit hyperbolic, but give an idea that’s things are changing behind the scenes. £20 is just a very visible psychological barrier, with it being the largest common use bill, and that makes it a mental toll booth on costs. The barrier” increments above that will be £25 and, especially, £30…although DU are likely to break that one for us. I’d expect a £20 minimum across the league.

Just for fun, Dundee went from £375 this last year to £410 for next season…still £50 cheaper than their neighbours cheapest…but a bad sign for anyone other than DU if they get promoted, at least ticket price wise.

Edited by TxRover

Spencer's departure raises a question (and at this stage it is very much a question, it's far too early for it to be a concern) - how are we going to move the ball from back to front? 

In the early part of last season, we really struggled at times without Spencer to be the 'deep-lying playmaker' beside Scott Brown. There wasn't anyone else in the squad who could comfortably pick the ball up from the back four, and then pick forward passes. Stanton deputised most often, but he's clearly much more comfortable further forward, and doesn't drop into the back line anywhere near as often. 

It left us with a real disconnect. We had the back four and Scott Brown almost cut off from the rest of the side. 

There are loads of ways to remedy that, and it'll be interesting to see what Murray's plan is. Neither Dick nor Millen is particularly comfortable running from deep with the ball, but a new left back could potentially bring that dimension.

I can't think of anyone available who'd fit the mould, but a really comfortable passing centre half could certainly bridge that gap and get the ball right into the feet of our roving cadre of attacking midfielders.

There's also obviously plenty of time to bring in a more like-for-like Spencer replacement, another creative midfielder who's content to sit deeper and pick passes. Again, I don't have anyone in mind, but I do think the rest of our midfield is well suited to cover for a really technically able player who's legs are perhaps going. Brown/Matthews/McGill/Stanton are all more than happy to do the running and jumping that someone in the latter-day Charlie Adam mould needs to thrive. 

And, of course, he could be thinking about going more direct. Using Hamilton as a focal point for the aforementioned squadron of attacking players he's assembled to feed off. 

Spencer was the one midfielder we didn't really have a back up for last season (albeit Brown's was Matthews and he was injured for more or less the entire year). It's really intriguing to see how Murray chooses to address the hole he leaves behind.