The New Raith Rovers Thread

Glad the Mullin is now confirmed. 3 year deal is a lot for someone of his age but ticks a few boxes on areas we needed to improve, particularly delivery from open play and set pieces.

With regards to Houston, it wouldn’t really make any sense. We have a pretty good right back for this level in Millen and even as back up we have McGill that has covered adequately. 

10 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Glad the Mullin is now confirmed. 3 year deal is a lot for someone of his age but ticks a few boxes on areas we needed to improve, particularly delivery from open play and set pieces.

With regards to Houston, it wouldn’t really make any sense. We have a pretty good right back for this level in Millen and even as back up we have McGill that has covered adequately. 

I'm not too worried about the length of the deal. With nutrition and sports science players can pretty much keep going at a decent level until their late 30s if they want. For me it's a sign we're positioning ourselves with players to take a crack at the league in the next few seasons. Arbroath have shown them rewards for continuity in a squad up until last season. United will likely win the league next season, but after that it could be an open Championship or a year or two.

That's these 2 on three years deals, connolly has 2 years with a third built in and brown getting a new deal after last season shows a little bit of forward planning as opposed to the annual scramble to sign folk on 12 month contracts.

Looks like they are going for a full squad for the start of pre season with I would say 4 more needed, a gk, lb and 2 cb's needed. 

That said there will still be the loan market to come as well.  

Edited by pub car king

20 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Houston would be another statement of intent, in as much as it would likely mean we're actually trying to get two senior options for every squad place. Christ knows the last time we could say that. 

Was going to say the same. 24 player squad should mean competition in every position.

Anyway another good bit of business a proven Championship player who can  create and score goals. Also provides good competition for Connolly and on the left as a starting option.

Now we need a quality keeper and 2 commanding centre halfs.

Not quite sure that's a signing we actually needed, but it's a bloody good one. 

A goalkeeper, two CBs and an LB ideally to come. Spencer the only real unknown now, although if he goes I wouldn't bother putting the money into midfield I don't think. GK and a couple of decent CBs the main areas of focus. 

I noticed Tom Lang is leaving you - not sure if it's been mentioned here but did you rate him? Is he leaving because he turned down an offer?

I was really interested in seeing how his career went after he left Clyde. He was great for us but it's obviously difficult to gauge how that translates to teams higher up the ladder.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I noticed Tom Lang is leaving you - not sure if it's been mentioned here but did you rate him? Is he leaving because he turned down an offer?

I was really interested in seeing how his career went after he left Clyde. He was great for us but it's obviously difficult to gauge how that translates to teams higher up the ladder.

It seems he wasn't offered a deal. Whether that's because we decided not to keep him or if he has something else lined up, no-one knows. 

I thought he was decent and would've kept him. He is a bit rash sometimes however, although he definitely has enough in his game that he'd have done well alongside an experienced CB. As it was, he was the senior CB in the team having returned from a year out with an ACL.