The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Beachbum said:

Now that that's sorted get Spencer re-signed.

Surely we want to change a few players? Or do we want to continue the downward spiral to the seaside league?

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Surely we want to change a few players? Or do we want to continue the downward spiral to the seaside league?

We had problems last season because we were very late to the table when signing new players, not because Spencer was part of the squad.

Admittedly he wasn't at his best but he's still worth his place.

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Bit harsh on Spencer surely? Didn’t have the best season last year but normally one of our better players. Not sure I’d put him in the spiral to the seaside league squad if he re-signs. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

Ah well. It's the hope that kills you...

I hope the board have noted that Murray will clearly be off the first chance he gets, and we show similar loyalty to him if we start the season the same way we've just ended this one. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

29 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

We had problems last season because we were very late to the table when signing new players, not because Spencer was part of the squad.

Admittedly he wasn't at his best but he's still worth his place.

27 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Bit harsh on Spencer surely? Didn’t have the best season last year but normally one of our better players. Not sure I’d put him in the spiral to the seaside league squad if he re-signs. 

He was great for us…two season ago. Unkind either way. Since 2021, we’ve went 3rd, 5th, 7th. It’s not going well.

16 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Ah well. It's the hope that kills you...

I hope the board have noted that Murray will clearly be off the first chance he gets, and we show similar loyalty to him if we start the season the same way we've just ended this one. 

I’m of a slightly similar opinion myself. On one hand he’s in the press telling us all how wonderful it is having the new owners and the new management structure while he’s applying for other jobs on the sly. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to build a better squad than he managed last season. If it doesn’t start well though then yeah… f**k him!

Edited by Dalziel8

5 minutes ago, Dalziel8 said:

I’m of a slightly similar opinion myself. On one hand he’s in the press telling us all how wonderful it is having the new owners and the new management structure while he’s applying for other jobs on the sly. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to build a better squad than he managed last season. If it doesn’t start well though then yeah… f**k him!

I'm not convinced IM applied for the job more like Dundee came asking if they could talk to him which he and the club agreed too. He'd be stupid not to speak to a club that could offer him more money albeit no job security. 

Just now, Dalziel8 said:

I’m of a slightly similar opinion myself. One one hand he’s in the press telling us all how wonderful it is having the new owners and the new management structure while he’s applying for other jobs on the sly. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to build a better squad than he managed last season. If it doesn’t start well though then yeah… f**k him!

Did he apply or was he asked to interview? There is a massive difference. Also unsure how you think it's "on the sly" when the club was approached for permission to speak to Murray by Dundee.

Feel like you're just building this narrative in your mind so that if things don't start well you have a ready made excuse of "well his head was turned and didn't care anyway so let's get rid".

Yeah, I don't think Murray has been sleekit in this. Folk will use it as a rod to beat him with if we don't start well. The intrinsic benefit to the new set up is that even had he gone we still had others looking at signings. 

Looking forward to how things progress in the next couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It's actually incredible that some fans expect the manager of a middling Championship club to turn down the chance of a Premiership job in a show of blind loyalty.

But...but... we're massive, definitely not a wee provincial club that barely scrapes together enough of a crowd to balance the books. How could anyone think that grass is greener elsewhere? 

7 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'm not convinced IM applied for the job more like Dundee came asking if they could talk to him which he and the club agreed too. He'd be stupid not to speak to a club that could offer him more money albeit no job security. 

Does that matter? Whether he applied or was headhunted he wanted to be offski.

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It's actually incredible that some fans expect the manager of a middling Championship club to turn down the chance of a Premiership job in a show of blind loyalty.

Either way, this is what happens. “Ah well, he’s away. Good luck to him.” Then he’s not chosen. Then it’s all good? In reality we’re then thinking, he wants away.

The board of directors will know how it played out. Whether he was keen to jump ship or whether he only listened to what they had to say. That same board will be the ones who then make a de idiom on his future if it doesn’t do according to plan.

4 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

But...but... we're massive, definitely not a wee provincial club that barely scrapes together enough of a crowd to balance the books. How could anyone think that grass is greener elsewhere? 

Not so sure the grass being greener is Dundee

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Does that matter? Whether he applied or was headhunted he wanted to be offski.

Of course he does, as will every manager who passes through Starks. I mean, that's how we got Murray in the first place. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

Of course he does, as will every manager who passes through Starks. I mean, that's how we got Murray in the first place. 

When you boil that down, why bother with lower league Scottish football? No one wants to be there.

it’s unfortunate. When this happens, the best for everyone is that they move on. Now I’m just waiting for him to either be sacked (more likely) or move on. I no longer believe he’s in with us for the journey.

In a way I'm happy that at least we now have some continuity and he now has the chance to prove he is worthy of a shot at a higher level, who knows that could be with us IF he gets it right.

But, I'm sure if there was something not quite right with the Dundee approach his card will have been marked