The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

Wonder if we will maybe offer terms to any of the three players leaving Hearts. Think Gary Mackay Steven could be the winger we need, and Ross Stewart could fill the goalkeeping position maybe and having Michael Smith could give us full-back cover.

Is Ross Stewart not notoriously bad?

Mackay Steven will be out of our price range as well and I doubt Smith would be interested in signing as a back up. 

As for Murray, no doubt we could do worse but he's not someone I've ever wished we'd kept hold of really. 

35 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, Euan Murray strikes me as being one of those players that suffers a bit from own player bias, where we tend to overrate our own. Can't say I really had an issue with him when he was here, but I've not been impressed watching him play against us. Perhaps I overlooked the shortcomings. 

Yeah probably remembering him through rose tinted glasses 🤓, don’t think he would comeback tbh

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, Euan Murray strikes me as being one of those players that suffers a bit from own player bias, where we tend to overrate our own. Can't say I really had an issue with him when he was here, but I've not been impressed watching him play against us. Perhaps I overlooked the shortcomings. 

Probably about right, Murray is decent enough for this level but can’t say I’d be overly fussed if we signed him or if we didn’t wouldn’t surprise me if we’re talking to him though with us needing CBs while the Pars are probably looking at other areas of their squad first. 

Cant see any of these players being wanted by us, or perhaps me wanting to see any of them with us.

Murray runs as quickly backwards as he does forwards, he gets plenty practice doing that as Hank said.

Stewart isn't an upgrade on what we already have, GMS would be an upgrade but at a cost and is getting on a bit, same for Smith who will be 35 in September and although a decent defender his days of bombing forward for 90 mins are behind him.

None of these guys fit the "young & hungry" mold  the manager and board say they are looking for.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

None of these guys fit the "young & hungry" mold  the manager and board say they are looking for.

That line is still making me wonder about Nolan. He certainly meets those requirements, so I’d just love to know what happened…he told us he was leaving and we didn’t offer anything…we made a preliminary offer and he told us he wasn’t interests in it…he’s got a deal elsewhere already…we just didn’t offer him anything?

Current rough starting lineup:

Thomson (McNeil)

Millen/Masson/Corr/Dick

Brown/Stanton or McGill (Spencer if he re-signs)

Connolly (Matthews???)/Stanton or Matthews or Vaughan/Easton (Ross, Arnott)

Gullan (Mitchell)

The problem is Matthews is out of position there, but Stanton is anonymous at DM…Vaughan is a tossup, but needs to be at AM if Gullan is the forward, simply to get him playing. The reality of that rough layout is with 18 signed, I see us signing a keeper, at least three more defenders and a DM…that’s 23 of the 24-26 players, and I don’t see space in the AM/Winger realm for any more.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That line is still making me wonder about Nolan. He certainly meets those requirements, so I’d just love to know what happened…he told us he was leaving and we didn’t offer anything…we made a preliminary offer and he told us he wasn’t interests in it…he’s got a deal elsewhere already…we just didn’t offer him anything?

Current rough starting lineup:

Thomson (McNeil)

Millen/Masson/Corr/Dick

Brown/Stanton or McGill (Spencer if he re-signs)

Connolly (Matthews???)/Stanton or Matthews or Vaughan/Easton (Ross, Arnott)

Gullan (Mitchell)

The problem is Matthews is out of position there, but Stanton is anonymous at DM…Vaughan is a tossup, but needs to be at AM if Gullan is the forward, simply to get him playing. The reality of that rough layout is with 18 signed, I see us signing a keeper, at least three more defenders and a DM…that’s 23 of the 24-26 players, and I don’t see space in the AM/Winger realm for any more.

We still need Experience in at CH we can’t run the risk of the what happened last season… Nolan’s first full season in first team football and Lang coming back from injury was our 2 main CHs and Corr needs an experienced head to learn off same with Masson 

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

We still need Experience in at CH we can’t run the risk of the what happened last season… Nolan’s first full season in first team football and Lang coming back from injury was our 2 main CHs and Corr needs an experienced head to learn off same with Masson 

I agree, but I’d like to know what happened…did IM want Nolan, and he said he was leaving…demands more than willing to pay, etc…if we kept Nolan, I’d still expect a pair of more experienced CH’s and perhaps not signing Corr.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I agree, but I’d like to know what happened…did IM want Nolan, and he said he was leaving…demands more than willing to pay, etc…if we kept Nolan, I’d still expect a pair of more experienced CH’s and perhaps not signing Corr.

Rumours are saying Nolan wanted to go back home or down south as he was missing friends and family but as said that a rumour no one actually knows or if any of the ITKs know then maybe they can say different but all the best to him anyway 

15 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Next season will be like shooting fish in a barrel if you bite this easily over the name of your ground mate. 

Just correcting an obvious error. Apologies for any upset I've obviously caused

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Now you’re just trying too hard.  It’s going to be a long season for you. 

I think you'll find it's going to pretty much the same as most seasons chap

https://twitter.com/mattelder_/status/1662909835891949568?s=20

Understand Dundee have made a decision on who their next manager will be … and it’s not Ian Murray. The Raith Rovers boss was interviewed last week but is out of the running and will remain at Stark’s Park.