The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lang was a decent defender for us but lunged in too readily and gave away free kicks which we inevitably conceded from. And as good as he was in the air, the amount of goals we conceded from set pieces suggest he wasn’t the greatest. If he’s earned a move up them good luck to him, but based on how he played for us, I think he’ll struggle.

4 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Lang was a decent defender for us but lunged in too readily and gave away free kicks which we inevitably conceded from. And as good as he was in the air, the amount of goals we conceded from set pieces suggest he wasn’t the greatest. If he’s earned a move up them good luck to him, but based on how he played for us, I think he’ll struggle.

Its not just down to him to defend dead balls. The whole team defends them. 

6 minutes ago, Hadji said:

Its not just down to him to defend dead balls. The whole team defends them. 

Absolutely. And he was probably the best of a bad bunch, but the defence as a whole was poor. The Hamilton game that killed off our play off hopes summed it up. Two set pieces which killed us.  And Lang gave away his fair share of unnecessary free kicks which led to goals. If there’s any part of the team that needs fixed, it was the defence and Lang was part of that.

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Bear in mind that Lang's 25. He should be the junior partner in a defensive duo, rather than basically carrying that responsibility by himself. I really liked Nolan, but he was doing absolutely zero organising or proactive defending last season. 

Genuinely hope that Lang goes on to have a great career. His ACL was probably a factor this season. On balance I’d have kept him, but we’ve also not lost a top class defender (yet)

Maybe a case of “what might have been” if there had been another season (as was probably planned) of a Berra-Lang partnership?

A better defensive record and higher league finish for us?

Less pressure on Lang and better self discipline? 

Lang signing a contract extension?

Lang still leaving and securing a decent move down south or a mid-table Premier League side here?

It is what it is though. 

Still believe our season was defined by Berra leaving so late. An increased offer to Bene would have maybe let us see the new Bene/Lang combo. 

Heard Lang was saying at the PotY a desire to play with Bene will take him to the Pars if they offer a deal. 

Confused fan logic has me thinking that's a decent pairing but not one that would give me the fear on derby day. 

The key post is that who we sign will define if this was a good decision. 

Could really do with Dundee sorting their manager out so we can have some certainty.

Wonder if Bullen has plummeted after last night, that's if he was in the frame. 

7 hours ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Still believe our season was defined by Berra leaving so late. An increased offer to Bene would have maybe let us see the new Bene/Lang combo. 

Heard Lang was saying at the PotY a desire to play with Bene will take him to the Pars if they offer a deal. 

Confused fan logic has me thinking that's a decent pairing but not one that would give me the fear on derby day. 

The key post is that who we sign will define if this was a good decision. 

Could really do with Dundee sorting their manager out so we can have some certainty.

Wonder if Bullen has plummeted after last night, that's if he was in the frame. 

Bene moved on, as I understood it, for length of contract as much as amount.

Bullen’s team ended the season much higher, with more points. Any team thinking of him would balance that against the failure in the playoffs against a hot team. IM’s team almost jogged in place after the halfway point, a comparison still favors Bullen.

28 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Bene moved on, as I understood it, for length of contract as much as amount.

Bullen’s team ended the season much higher, with more points. Any team thinking of him would balance that against the failure in the playoffs against a hot team. IM’s team almost jogged in place after the halfway point, a comparison still favors Bullen.

Bullen has claimed that he’s heard nothing from Dundee so make of that what you will. 

21 minutes ago, philpy said:

Genuinely can't believe someone compared lang to mark Campbell. Sparky's decision makings were 10 times better.

That was me.

The comparison was only based of my early impression of Lang. I thought he might have potential to develop into a similar kind of commanding player to Campbell.

He didn’t.

You would like to think that, if the current manager does stay and given his playing career, he might be well placed to bring in defenders who have something about them and who the club can improve. You would think that, wouldn't you?

3 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

You would like to think that, if the current manager does stay and given his playing career, he might be well placed to bring in defenders who have something about them and who the club can improve. You would think that, wouldn't you?

A don't think any manager ever signs a player thinking "well he's fucken shite, that will do for me"

21 minutes ago, Hadji said:

A don't think any manager ever signs a player thinking "well he's fucken shite, that will do for me"

No, but a few times this season it's felt like some of our signings have been "it'll just have to do" with Frederiksen and Akio anyway. 

2 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No, but a few times this season it's felt like some of our signings have been "it'll just have to do" with Frederiksen and Akio anyway. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

McBride was the embodiment of it. 

I suspect McBride was a “gamble”…low cost and potentially high reward. The theory would be give a player a chance and see if they rise to the challenge. The problem was we seemingly only had a budget for gambles.