The New Raith Rovers Thread

Do other clubs pay full compensation for managers? I know their employer  typically has to if they sack them but if it’s a case of a manager wanted by another club then I would suspect it’s more likely the two clubs will agree a nominal payment for the manager to move on without too much of a fuss. I don’t think Dundee would have to pay Rovers all of what’s left on Murray’s contract? Could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Do other clubs pay full compensation for managers? I know their employer  typically has to if they sack them but if it’s a case of a manager wanted by another club then I would suspect it’s more likely the two clubs will agree a nominal payment for the manager to move on without too much of a fuss. I don’t think Dundee would have to pay Rovers all of what’s left on Murray’s contract? Could be wrong. 

My understanding is that would be up to manager's current club, so if they couldn't agree a fee, they'd have to then buy out the contract.  Or I could be entirely wrong and it's decided via tribunal 

10 hours ago, pub car king said:

It strikes me Dundee's owners want to do the Premier league on a tiny budget. That's why their manger left and another unemployed manager who nearly relegated his own club has given it a wide swerve. 

Murray has just had a difficult season with no cash and a lack of a squad so I see the interest  from them. But he'd be mad to go there and it when it inevitably goes tits up he'll be back down the leagues again. 

I really don't see the interest they have I him. A manager with no plan B and in the last quarter of a game chases it and more often than not loses more goals. If I was a Dundee fan I'd be very disappointed in him as a manager for the Premier league. 

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

Fast forward a year and it's Dundee against Rovers in the play offs. 

Given the erratic nature of the manager search at Dundee, I would suspect a majority of Dundee fans would bit your hand off for a promise of the playoff next year.

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Not really. You’ve still got loads of the same players there. Plus Vaughan returning and signing Easton, the best player in league one by a mile. Yet you were laughably shite under Murray. 

Apart from all the ones listed. Including Benedictus, who was the best player in league one by a mile this season, funny old game. 

I'm not sure that Raith were laughably shite, they were comfortable from relegation without threatening the playoffs all that much, probably about where there budget would place them. They were laughably shite in the second half of the previous season under McGlynn, last season? Meh. 

Surprised at Dundee’s interest in Murray especially if they have to pay a fee, quite like Murray so far but he’s hardly the stand out manager of the division that a Premier Division club normally are desperate to bring in.  He was solid enough at Airdrie improving them and just missing out on promotion but pretty unproven at Championship level. I think many would say 7th for Raith while not a disaster is underwhelming, yes we had a cutback budget and quite bad luck with injuries and while I’m happy to give Murray another season as I think he showed some potential I’m amazed he’s even on  Dundee’s Radar as the man to get in.  

You’d like to think the club would have put out some sort of communication if Dundee had asked for permission to speak to Murray. 

Silence a bit deafening really. 

I’m in the Murray stay camp, I know things can change very quickly in football, but we really needed this pre-season to be as settled as possible now that the takeover has concluded and progress made already. 

49 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

They were laughably shite in the second half of the previous season under McGlynn, last season? Meh. 

Well, this is it exactly. Before Christmas we were in a title fight and ended it outside of the playoffs, having totally imploded. Laughably shite is a perfectly apt description of McGlynn's last six months with the club. 

Looking at the league table, there is no doubt we have gone backwards. It's true - we have gone backwards. However, this is entirely on McGlynn*, who was well backed by the board and who saw to it that future budgets were decimated by giving players contracts with automatic increases built into them. 

Meanwhile, McGlynn lost League One by a fair distance and oversaw an utter humiliation in the playoffs, consigning Falkirk to a 5th season in League One. All hail the bald messiah! 

*This is also the board's fault for allowing it tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Meanwhile, McGlynn lost League One by a fair distance and oversaw an utter humiliation in the playoffs, consigning Falkirk to a 5th season in League One. All hail the bald messiah!

..............but think of the corners.............

20 minutes ago, Wardy said:

You’d like to think the club would have put out some sort of communication if Dundee had asked for permission to speak to Murray. 

Silence a bit deafening really. 

I’m in the Murray stay camp, I know things can change very quickly in football, but we really needed this pre-season to be as settled as possible now that the takeover has concluded and progress made already. 

I don't think so. I don't think it's really the done thing, and it's just adding fuel to a fire that doesn't benefit the Rovers either way. 

Kelty did it with Thomson, but it was quite clearly a prelude to them getting shot of him. That was a signal to their fans that the club weren't happy that he was flashing his knickers to every club that needed a manager. 

McGlynn mk.2's style of play is hyper reliant on having a properly good central playmaker. It's a single point of failure.

Worth noting that having inherited Barry Smith's 2nd attempt at a team, McGlynn did not exactly set the Heather alight, and a lot of Falkirk complaints about meaningless possession and sideways passing with no penetration is surely familiar to those of us who watched Wedderburn and Gillespie after he took over.

We may even have finished closer to the top had McGlynn mk.1 been there instead, who would have played a straight back to front percentages game based on getting the ball into the vicinity of Nisbet, Gullan and Vaughan.

He then got Hendry and Spencer in. Suddenly McGlynn ball works, with midfielders who have the energy and skill to take a ball from defence, and find clever balls into space all the while creating overloads all over the pitch and even covering the full backs creating the width.

A secondary element here is in having the "forward thinking" players: the inside forwards in his 4-2-3-1 being properly involved and energetic. You can't afford guys who won't run all day. Zanatta covered the worst of his sins by his early goal scoring adventures, but it simply isn't enough when you look at the workrate of guys like Dan Armstrong and Aidan Connolly.

Hendry leaves and then Spencer is injured and we are back to keeping the ball tidily enough but with no penetration and the added defensive frailty of high pushing full backs and no willing cover.

If McGlynn can get a midfielder who can run the team and build it around that guy, Falkirk will be fine. We kinda lucked out with Hendry in League 1 in that respect. Otherwise his 4-2-3-1 will continue to dominate possession without ever actually looking dangerous.

Edited by renton

11 hours ago, Enigma said:

Yeah, that’s why clubs aren’t scrambling around hiring data analysts and the bookies never use these stats in their algorithms etc. but please tell me again how the team I’ve watched for the majority of last season home and away is “miles worse” than the one I watched home and away the season before and don’t really deem much better or worse…

Ian Cathro was a hoot tbf

8 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I don't think so. I don't think it's really the done thing, and it's just adding fuel to a fire that doesn't benefit the Rovers either way. 

Kelty did it with Thomson, but it was quite clearly a prelude to them getting shot of him. That was a signal to their fans that the club weren't happy that he was flashing his knickers to every club that needed a manager. 

Yeah that’s fair. Just would be nice to actually have some actual facts rather than just some paper talk. But that’s not for average punters like us I suppose…

If Murray goes, and I hope he doesn’t. I want him to finish the job. Do you think Berra is ready for management. A young hungry go getter at the helm is what’s needed. Murray is a nice guy. But he’s a slow worker. If he goes to Dundee he’ll have to drastically change his work ethos.

22 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

If Murray goes, and I hope he doesn’t. I want him to finish the job. Do you think Berra is ready for management. A young hungry go getter at the helm is what’s needed. Murray is a nice guy. But he’s a slow worker. If he goes to Dundee he’ll have to drastically change his work ethos.

Slow worker, in what way?

25 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

😂 Honestly man, you just open your mouth and let your belly rumble. None of what you said there means anything.