The New Raith Rovers Thread

43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He'd absolutely be daft not to take it, regardless of the state Dundee might be in. There's no guarantee he'll get an offer like this again in his career. 

Yeah, been a manger for over 10 years and never had a chance to manage in the Premier League, he’d have to take it, if offered.

I would much prefer he stayed, I think we have the basis of a good squad, planning is well underway for the season ahead and I think he had a solid, if unspectacular, first season which gives us something to build on.

However, it needn’t be a disaster if he goes, as long as act quickly and appoint someone competent (a big IF with the Rovers granted!). We’re pretty much done in terms of who we will retain from the current squad and whilst most players will still want to know the manager before they sign, the new structure with Barrowman and Potter leave us much less exposed than previous years and can still be working on recruitment in the background ready for the new man to sign off (or add his own names) when he joins.

Also the names out there don’t seem quite as bleak as last season and I think we’re in a much more attractive position. One thing I learned from last year is to only judge any new manager on how they do with us. I would have been varying degrees of underwhelmed if we’d appointed any of Kettlewell, McPake or Scott Brown who we were linked with last summer but all have done good to excellent jobs for their respective sides.

Edited by R.R.FC

You’re definitely worse under Murray than you were under McGlynn. The league table says you were 2 league places worse.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You’re definitely worse under Murray than you were under McGlynn. The league table says you were 2 league places worse.

McGlynn had a far bigger budget than Murray did.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He’s not wrong but we were right to get rid of Mcglynn when we did his tactics were outdated and no longer worked.

5 minutes ago, Enigma said:

McGlynn had a far bigger budget than Murray did.

Was the squad that different to last season? Your starting 11 seemed to have a lot of the same players as 21-22.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was the squad that different to last season? Your starting 11 seemed to have a lot of the same players as 21-22.

The defence was almost completely new only Dick started this season from last season back four, in the midfield 2 of our 4-2-3-1 most of the time it was Spencer and Brown(who want here last season) Easton played most games this season, wasn’t here last season and Gullan in the 1 didn’t play much at all this season. Basically on any given Saturday about half the team was different.

He also, you know, didn’t sign a rapist and do untold damage to the clubs reputation, sponsorship, budget etc etc.

Edited by Enigma

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Raith Rovers had the worst form in the league in the 2nd half of 21-22 season.  Worse than those awful Dunfermline and Queens sides.  After teams sussed out Zanatta, it was a shambles.

Plus, Murray didn't cost the club £30k by signing James Keatings and then breaking him.

I don't think Murray did enough to come under serious consideration for a Premiership job though.  There's some solid foundations for next season, but I wouldn't say much more than that - the real proof is (or possibly was) going to come this season.

Edited by CALDERON

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Aside from Berra, Benedictus, Musonda, Tumilty, Matthews, Poplatnik and Williamson? And that’s just the decent ones. You can add in the likes of Mackie, Varian, McKay and Zanatta that all played a decent number of games for us under McGlynn too. There was also the pay offs for Goodwillie and Keatings.

If you compare the starting 11 from our last game of 21/22 with our last starting 11 of 22/23, we had one outfield player the same. With respect, you’re talking nonsense.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Lads I’m agreeing with you. I don’t want him to leave either. 

I don’t really mind if he goes but to come in and say “MuRrAy MaDe YoU WoRsE!” is missing the point completely. McGlynn left us in a terrible state and the budget given to Murray that he could actually use was minimal, we were not a great prospect for anybody last summer. It would have been a bit of a task to have us better our points total from the season before. Murray’s done fine.

Edited by Enigma

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

I don’t really mind if he goes but to come in and say “MuRrAy CaMe in AnD MaDe YoU WoRsE!” is missing the point completely. McGlynn left us in a terrible state and the budget given to Murray that he could actually use was minimal, we were not a great prospect for anybody last summer. It would have been a bit of a task to have us better our points total from the season before. Murray’s done fine.

Would you go for McCabe if Murray leaves? You signed Airdrie’s best player and McCabe still managed what Murray couldn’t. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Would you go for McCabe if Murray leaves?

Have no idea who we’d go for. McCabe would probably be one of the better names linked if Murray left.

13 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Aside from Berra, Benedictus, Musonda, Tumilty, Matthews, Poplatnik and Williamson? And that’s just the decent ones. You can add in the likes of Mackie, Varian, McKay and Zanatta that all played a decent number of games for us under McGlynn too. There was also the pay offs for Goodwillie and Keatings.

If you compare the starting 11 from our last game of 21/22 with our last starting 11 of 22/23, we had one outfield player the same. With respect, you’re talking nonsense.

He’s made you look a right c**t @TheScarf

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He’s made you look a right c**t @TheScarf

Not really. You’ve still got loads of the same players there. Plus Vaughan returning and signing Easton, the best player in league one by a mile. Yet you were laughably shite under Murray. 

Edited by TheScarf