The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Why bother with stewards when you can leave it up to individual supporters, some of who are at games with their kids, to police the fuckwits? 

I mean, if we leave it to the police, who will police the police?! 

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see that's the matchday app being withdrawn. I suppose it was never going to be renewed after Tag withdrew their support last season.

Hopefully we can get something a bit more reflective of feeling to vote for man of the match. I always thought that they must’ve been deciding it based on about 20 votes. 

51 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hopefully we can get something a bit more reflective of feeling to vote for man of the match. I always thought that they must’ve been deciding it based on about 20 votes. 

20 votes and always for someone who scored a goal, never based on an overall performance. Scott Brown should be head and shoulders above most every week but never gets the vote.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see that's the matchday app being withdrawn. I suppose it was never going to be renewed after Tag withdrew their support last season.

It absolutely guzzled my battery and data allowance.

I binned it a couple of years ago.

6 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

I’d be all for giving Arnott the chance next season properly.  If matthews stays fit we will still have a great midfield for this level.

It’s about time to decide on Arnott, and Mitchell for that matter (if we sign him, can’t believe we wouldn’t). However, we’re at a level of expectation and such now that it’s hard to feed people without serious experience in. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised, if IM rates them, to see an early season loan to League One for both and then some experience in the second half.

On 30/03/2023 at 11:03, JaketheSnake said:

The pyro looks quality and adds atmosphere. Folk on here just like to moan about everything. You'll all be wanting the bags of sweets at the pie stalls banned next because they aren't traditional and contain too much sugar. 

^^^

Selfish arsehole found.

Still, as long as you don't suffer from asthma or other breathing conditions eh.

On 30/03/2023 at 12:39, TxRover said:

If done with consideration, I’m not hardline against pyro/smoke…but:

1) It needs to be done in an open area

2) It needs to be kept by the individual setting it off or safely within a designated area.

3) It needs to be with the agreement of the club.

4) It needs to be agreed to by the club after ensuring that no non-participating fan might be adversely impacted by such behavior (fans with respiratory issues are at risk from these devices, particularly if set off within somewhat enclosed areas). This can be done by establishing an area for these antics with consideration of wind and openness of the area.

And finally, Scottish football should admit that the alcohol ban within stadia has backfired and fight to reinstate alcohol sales under at least the English rules, if not similar to the rugby rules. It would be easier, safer, and more profitable, to allow alcohol sales at stadia. Refusal to serve a visibly intoxicated individual is standard worldwide at venues, and works. It you stop the need to “prepare” for a match, you likely reduce the overall level of intoxication at matches.

Neither pyro, nor alcohol should be anywhere near Scottish football terraces / stands.

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^

Selfish arsehole found.

Still, as long as you don't suffer from asthma or other breathing conditions eh.

Neither pyro, nor alcohol should be anywhere near Scottish football terraces / stands.

Totally agree with the bold.

Beer sales (consumed in the concourse, not on the terraces or stands) I agree with in plastic / paper cups. Never EVER would I like to see the days pre the 1980 Cup final when you could take a massive carry out through the turnstiles.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^

Selfish arsehole found.

How about in the concourse in paper/plastic cups, as suggested above?

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

How about in the concourse in paper/plastic cups, as suggested above?

Ach I just dont see any need for it. If you cant get through 90 mins without alcohol you have a problem and if its for 'social' reasons I cant see what pleasure there is in standing in a drafty concrete stand concourse drinking beer out of a plastic cup. When I drink I do so to sit and chat with friends about the world / the football.

I guess if it was in plastic cups in a concourse only I could live with it, its just not something I feel in any way helps the match experience. I've been to plenty games in England where you CAN do that and never felt the need. Personally, as one who can remember the 70s, I think banning alcohol in grounds was a big step forward in improving the matchday experience but I appreciate you're not advocating a full return to that. 

To be honest though, the majority of lower division grounds are not set up to provide such a facility anyway and equally the majority have perfectly decent pubs within a few hundred yards of the turnstiles which would be much better at it if you can only do it away from the pitch.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ach I just dont see any need for it. If you cant get through 90 mins without alcohol you have a problem and if its for 'social' reasons I cant see what pleasure there is in standing in a drafty concrete stand concourse drinking beer out of a plastic cup. When I drink I do so to sit and chat with friends about the world / the football.

I guess if it was in plastic cups in a concourse only I could live with it, it’s just not something I feel in any way helps the match experience. I've been to plenty games in England where you CAN do that and never felt the need. 

A few points here,   1.  The can’t go 90 minutes argument is nonsense and just makes you look silly,   There’s plenty things at the football that aren’t strictly needed but desired, by some at least  it’s really easy not to need something to eat during that time for example but it’s unheard of for grounds to not have catering.  

I like you have refused the option of warm carling in a concourse in england, but many do buy it, same as I can’t remember when I last purchased food at the ground, with the same arguments that ifs poorer quality, more expensive and a worse environment to enjoy than elsewhere.

I have also been in grounds where you can take alcohol to your seat, without issues.

As for clubs not being set up for it, they can set up for it really easily, they systems needed for it aren’t complicated and the facilities for sale are in place already.

39 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A few points here,   1.  The can’t go 90 minutes argument is nonsense and just makes you look silly,   There’s plenty things at the football that aren’t strictly needed but desired, by some at least  it’s really easy not to need something to eat during that time for example but it’s unheard of for grounds to not have catering.  

I like you have refused the option of warm carling in a concourse in england, but many do buy it, same as I can’t remember when I last purchased food at the ground, with the same arguments that ifs poorer quality, more expensive and a worse environment to enjoy than elsewhere.

I have also been in grounds where you can take alcohol to your seat, without issues.

As for clubs not being set up for it, they can set up for it really easily, they systems needed for it aren’t complicated and the facilities for sale are in place already.

I'm not particularly looking to die on this hill, I only mentioned it at all because @TxRover mentioned it at the foot of his pyro post. 

I just dont think there's any compelling argument for the return of alcohol to the main supporter areas of football grounds. I think those asking for it would likely find the reality of it not measuring up to what they actually want. The point was if you can get lager at a perfectly well heated pub within a few hundred yards of the door then you are better doing that than standing under a stand to drink it in a plastic cup. The only difference is not being able to get it at half time when queues are likely to be prohibitive anyway. 

And for what its worth if you are going to sell lager (and especially beer) properly it needs a good deal more maintenance than existing facilities for soft drinks. Granted though thats on the retailer to deal with or simply choose not to sell it. I also meant that a number of them dont necessarily have a place fans could buy and NOT see the pitch. The terrace at Palmerston for instance where the pie shop faces the pitch. 

And I rarely if ever buy food in a football ground either to be honest. Normally only if my son's with me as he insists on getting chips inside grounds for some reason. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Totally agree with the bold.

Beer sales (consumed in the concourse, not on the terraces or stands) I agree with in plastic / paper cups. Never EVER would I like to see the days pre the 1980 Cup final when you could take a massive carry out through the turnstiles.

‘Consuming’ beer in the concourse is a dreadful experience. Trying to guzzle down a jar in a few minutes. If you’re going to bring back drink, do it like the rugby. Pints in plastic tumblers that you can drink in your seat while watching the game. Make it a joyful experience.

Failing that, just make like the pyro boys and say f**k the rules and smuggle in a hip flask.