The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Kdawg said:

I can’t help but feel that before anything on the park gets sorted, we need the ownership situation to be confirmed one way or another. 

I don’t think we are a million miles away from having a squad capable of competing for promotion, adding that quality whilst retaining the majority of the squad might not be possible with the current financial situation at the club though. 

We aren't. A good striker is genuinely all that would've been needed. Over to next year's striker lottery it is. 

As ever at this level, retaining our best players is not easy. We will lose at least one or two that we would prefer to keep. I can't imagine the ownership situation and the doom broadcast about our finances everytime a press article is released on the subject will help. 

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been to a final with Rovers where I expected to win, rather than hoped to win. When you feel like that it’s difficult to get up for the game. I think the recent years of always getting to the final have made me blasé about it. I think that was 14 ties we had won in a row in that cup until we lost in the final yesterday. You never usually bother that much about this cup until your team make the semis, but I was hoping we would win for all the youngsters there yesterday.

Now we have the last 8 league games to go. The Queens Park and Accies home games will provide some indication whether we are up for a fight for the play offs or we’re settling down for a mid-table no dramas end to the season.

Edited by Scary Bear

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

I’d class myself as a bit of a happy clapper and I get we all want to cling on to something rather than end the season now but there is no chance we are making the play offs. We would need to win 5/6 of our last 8 games. We haven’t beaten a team above us in the league since Partick Thistle on 29th October. That was a Thistle side that had lost their 3 games previously, conceding 4 in each.

We’re just not good enough to string 4/5 wins together in a row at the moment. That’s not a criticism of the manager, I like him and think he has done a good job in a transitional season. I feared given how the second half of last season went, we could be in the fight at the bottom of the league this season but that’s never really been close. If the League table wasn’t enough proof in of itself, our individual results show we are clearly better than the teams below but lacking against the sides above us.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing, knowing what league we are going to be in at this stage gives us plenty time to plan ahead, it was all a bit rushed last season, given when Murray came in. We need the ownership situation resolved as soon as possible to set Murray a competitive budget for what looks a tough league next season.

A number 9 is clearly top priority but we also need a bit of variety in the 3 behind the striker, it all feels a bit samey and when we get sussed out, we don’t really pose any different questions for teams. Murray himself commented on our lack of pace after the Rangers game so I think that is something he will be looking to address. Having Ethan Ross fit after a full pre season should also help.

I like Spencer but can’t argue that he’s not been anywhere near the level of quality and influence he showed last season. It’s a cliche but having Matthews back will be like a new signing and gives us an option to mix it up in the middle of the park.

Defensively, individually none of them are bad players but I can’t join the calls of keeping them all as our first choice back for next season. We have kept 2 clean sheets in our last 15 league games, whilst that isn’t all on the back 4, it’s not nearly good enough. I like Nolan and Dick and I’d keep them but not as automatic starters at this stage. An experienced centre back to challenge and help Lang/Nolan would really bring them on and a real attacking full back would offer a different dimension down the left in some games. Someone in the mould of Ngwenya but maybe a bit further ahead in their development.

I would keep all 3 keepers, MacDonald had slightly shaky spell after his injury but is generally a good, reliable goalkeeper and the other 2 capable back ups and I can’t imagine McNeil is on much. Rolling the dice to improve this area is too risky given MacDonald is still solid, only have to look at Dundee United to see what happens when you get that position wrong.

We aren’t very far away from being a good side at this level but it’s important to acknowledge our flaws and that we are 7th in this league (albeit with games in hand) for a reason. We have a decent base to build on but we have to be ruthless to improve for next season and Murray will have to make some tough decisions. It may mean losing a few players that will divide the support but retaining the majority of the squad and pinning our hopes on finally getting the right striker in to make the difference is too big a gamble for me. It may even be about changing some of the types of players we have rather than massively improving the individual quality just to give us a different dimension. 

Whether Murray is given the budget to make the moves required is obviously up for debate though.

Tl;dr version - Seasons over, sort out the budget/ownership and back Murray to start planning for next season now to make the changes required to progress.

Absolutely spot on, we’ll do well to finish in 7th. Murray has to be backed next season as it’ll be much tougher to get the players necessary to make a right go of it. As is, the players we have just now simply won’t cut it in a tougher league. We need to strengthen that defence and the forward positions, I’d definitely take Frizell, Smith and Gallagher from Airdrie. That’s assuming they don’t get past the play offs. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We'll do well to finish above a team we are 10 points ahead, with a game in hand over.  

That’s assuming the team actually turn up. Arbroath, Cove and Hamilton will be fighting for their place in this league. Hamilton proved yesterday that they can dig in. That was a struggle and we had nothing up front to put away the chances we made. That was crap yesterday. 

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

That’s assuming the team actually turn up. Arbroath, Cove and Hamilton will be fighting for their place in this league. Hamilton proved yesterday that they can dig in. That was a struggle and we had nothing up front to put away the chances we made. That was crap yesterday. 

Arbroath, Hamilton and Cove are where they are for a reason.  One of those sides were beaten 6-1 by the very Rovers side you chastise do much.

Yesterday was not good, but that doesn't mean that these sides ate going to overturn a 10 point plus gap ffs.

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Nolan, Lang, Stanton, Easton, Brown, Connolly, McDonald are the only ones I’d be disappointed to see go. Would be fine with Millen and Dick staying. 

Stanton, Easton, Brown and Millen are all under contract next year already.

5 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

I’d class myself as a bit of a happy clapper and I get we all want to cling on to something rather than end the season now but there is no chance we are making the play offs. We would need to win 5/6 of our last 8 games. We haven’t beaten a team above us in the league since Partick Thistle on 29th October. That was a Thistle side that had lost their 3 games previously, conceding 4 in each.

The reality is you are 100% correct. The estimated points needed for fourth is 54, and we’re on 38 with 24 to play for. We need 16 of 24 to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs, and in 8 games there’s three ways to get that; 4 wins and 4 draws, 5 wins and 1 or more draws, or 6 or more wins…that’s it. Our run in is Queens, Accies, ICT (a), Dundee (a), Arbroath, Morton (a), Ayr (a), Partick…please someone tell me if you honestly believe was can even win four of those, without illegal substances involved.

Saturday and Tuesday night will go a long way to determine our final position, followed by our bogie team which we are capable of beating but somehow can't, Dundee you can right off, Arbroath we should be beating at home..... but, and Morton, Ayr and Partick we'll be pushed to get 2 points from

8 to 9 points is about the max we can expect anything else is a bonus

49 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

There's absolutely no chance any of those teams will catch us. They've all still got to play each other and therefore will take points off each other.

For all that Hamilton deserved that win yesterday, they still only had one clear sight of goal,  and even that came about through a fortunate break of the ball from a corner. They look well organised but I'm not seeing a team that is suddenly going to win 5 or 6 games between now and the end of the season. The same goes for Arbroath, while Cove are clearly hopeless. 

I think we'll probably end up 7th, but that's at bad as it will get. And we'll be closer to 6th than 8th.

13 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Saturday and Tuesday night will go a long way to determine our final position, followed by our bogie team which we are capable of beating but somehow can't, Dundee you can right off, Arbroath we should be beating at home..... but, and Morton, Ayr and Partick we'll be pushed to get 2 points from

8 to 9 points is about the max we can expect anything else is a bonus

I think we need to win the 4 home games we have left and then pick up 3 or 4 points on the road. I just can't see that happening. 

If we have any chance we have to at least draw with the teams around us so as to not fall further behind. 

The dream scenario is to beat Morton, Ayr, Partick and erm ICT and try to scavenge points from the rest. 

Ultimately we are playing for prize money now as a couple of league places are worth thousands. 

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

I read somewhere that murray allegedly swore at some of our fans yesterday.  Any truth in this??

I couldn't blame him, if true. Whilst he needs to be professional at all times, we do have some absolute titrifles "supporting" us. I couldn't maintain my composure in the face of some of the diatribe that ensues. 

9 minutes ago, philpy said:

I read somewhere that murray allegedly swore at some of our fans yesterday.  Any truth in this??

I seen that on Twitter, not surprisingly the original posts about it on Twitter just happened to miss out the bit about abuse being hurled at Murray first.  Then the posts that do mention the abuse Murray got are going into this stupid "but he shouldn't react" rubbish.

Really don't get this idea that it's fine for fans to shout abuse at players/managers but somehow a disgrace if the player/manager reacts back.  If you want to dish it out then you can't get all upset because somebody gives it back to you.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There's absolutely no chance any of those teams will catch us. They've all still got to play each other and therefore will take points off each other.

For all that Hamilton deserved that win yesterday, they still only had one clear sight of goal,  and even that came about through a fortunate break of the ball from a corner. They look well organised but I'm not seeing a team that is suddenly going to win 5 or 6 games between now and the end of the season. The same goes for Arbroath, while Cove are clearly hopeless. 

I think we'll probably end up 7th, but that's at bad as it will get. And we'll be closer to 6th than 8th.

Cant believe folk are saying hamilton deserved to win.10 man defence for the second half.if we had scored one there was only going to be one winner. I’m sick but congratulations to Hamilton on winning the cup.

Some folk utterly unable to separate result with performance. First half was really bad. Then we attacked pretty much constantly for the second half, several chances and their goalie has made 3 outstanding saves. If Vaughan scores that chance where Fulton somehow gets a hand to it we probably go on to win the game and everyone would be on here talking about a great fight back. It is possible to play well and lose. That’s what happened in the second half yesterday.