The New Raith Rovers Thread

All teams now on 27 games played. Heading into the last quarter 8 points away from a play off up the way and 10 points clear of the relegation play off place. Looks like a mid-table finish unless we either implode or go on a winning run. After the start we had then would have been happy with mid-table safety, a Scottish Cup QF and a Challenge Cup final (hopefully win) 

7 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

All teams now on 27 games played. Heading into the last quarter 8 points away from a play off up the way and 10 points clear of the relegation play off place. Looks like a mid-table finish unless we either implode or go on a winning run. After the start we had then would have been happy with mid-table safety, a Scottish Cup QF and a Challenge Cup final (hopefully win) 

It looks like a solid foundation for next season.  Absolutely need to address the striking situation properly,  particularly with a bit of extra money from the Rangers game now in play.

32 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It looks like a solid foundation for next season.  Absolutely need to address the striking situation properly,  particularly with a bit of extra money from the Rangers game now in play.

How solid a foundation will largely depend on how many of our better out of contract players are offered more lucrative deals elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I’m convinced it doesn’t matter who we play up front when the supporting players remain the same. They’re all small, cut inside, slow the game down, look for angled pass types rather than hit the byline and thump it across the six yard line, or play an early through ball past the offside trap. It’s not like our strikers miss chance after chance, they’re rarely in the box because they have to play one twos with Connolly/Ross/Stanton/Vaughan/Easton.

We need to get out of the 4-2-3-1 rut for me, and if it means a remodelling of the squad and losing some that we’d consider our better players, then so be it.  

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm very petty about these things, and I'm taking more pleasure out of this than I really should. To the extent that I actively wanted Dunfermline to win tonight 🤮

Same. 

Never thought I'd see the day a McGlynn side losing at EEP would have me smirking, but here we are. 

12 hours ago, Raithie said:

The fixture in question plays a part, they should be questioning where these fans are every week

Well nearly 4000 of them are normally at EEP every 2nd Saturday. The rest are fair weather fans turning out for a big game when their team really needs their support. And it worked, which was nice

Thanks for your concern though.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Same. 

Never thought I'd see the day a McGlynn side losing at EEP would have me smirking, but here we are. 

He's not exactly got a good record in the playoffs either if Falkirk fans are pinning their hopes on going up that way. Wouldn't surprise me if Falkirk start to toil between now and the end of the season after last nights result, can imagine it'll have knocked the stuffing out of them. Good, f**k them. 

The thing that last night reminded me of was Ayr celebrating at Stark’s Park when they beat us and ‘won’ the league.  Over the final fixtures we finally reeled them in and won the league at Hampden. Suspect that Dunfermline have more character than that Ayr side to let their lead slip, and Falkirk much less character than the side we had at the time to go on a run but you just never know…

47 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

The thing that last night reminded me of was Ayr celebrating at Stark’s Park when they beat us and ‘won’ the league.  Over the final fixtures we finally reeled them in and won the league at Hampden. Suspect that Dunfermline have more character than that Ayr side to let their lead slip, and Falkirk much less character than the side we had at the time to go on a run but you just never know…

Ayr only went 3 points clear though, I think.  

The Stevie Hislop masterclass at Stirling away when we overtook Ayr with a few games left was sensational. It felt like an age for it to hit the net.  He was right in the crowd to celebrate with his dad. That, the Sloan free kick versus Brechin, and beating Alloa after going down to 10 men were all tremendous.

16 hours ago, Raithie said:

The fixture in question plays a part, they should be questioning where these fans are every week. On another note see McGlynn has shat the bed again at East End Park. 

I said similar on the The Caley thread yesterday.  It's a local derby and a top of the table clash, of course there's going to be a massive crowd.  They aren't pulling that on a Tuesday night at home to Peterhead or Montrose.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

He's not exactly got a good record in the playoffs either if Falkirk fans are pinning their hopes on going up that way. Wouldn't surprise me if Falkirk start to toil between now and the end of the season after last nights result, can imagine it'll have knocked the stuffing out of them. Good, f**k them. 

When they see that the first Pars goal didn't even cross the line, it'll break them

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Ayr only went 3 points clear though, I think.  

Ah false memory. I’d built it up in my head to us clawing back a massive gap. Even more weird the Ayr reaction from only going 3 points ahead.  Was a hugely enjoyable run in though. 

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I said similar on the The Caley thread yesterday.  It's a local derby and a top of the table clash, of course there's going to be a massive crowd.  They aren't pulling that on a Tuesday night at home to Peterhead or Montrose.

True enough, but they do draw well, as do Falkirk. Next years Championship could be a significantly higher average attendance with the possibility of losing Queens, Cove and Accies/Arbroath and replacing them with DU, the Pars and Falkirk. And that would be a win for all of us, income wise…it may not sound like much, but add even 500 to average, and over 18 games, with a £15 average, you’re looking at £135,000.

19 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

I'd agree it's not over, but it be a wild implosion. Since the merger of the SPL/SPFL there's only been three occurances in the lower leagues where a side ahead after 26 games, loses the title. 

Raith had a three point gap over Ayr, Forfar had a six point gap over Arbroath and Elgin City had a two point gap. To blow an 8 point gap would be some going.

16 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

A handy app for information on the Play Store is The Scottish Football League Info app.

Icon image

You can select a season and track league positions week by week amongst other features.

Sounds fantastic, the website statto? Used to be great for that. 

35 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'd agree it's not over, but it be a wild implosion. Since the merger of the SPL/SPFL there's only been three occurances in the lower leagues where a side ahead after 26 games, loses the title. 

Raith had a three point gap over Ayr, Forfar had a six point gap over Arbroath and Elgin City had a two point gap. To blow an 8 point gap would be some going.

I think Tuesdays win has got you over the line, can’t see any of Dunfermline or falkirk dropping points to to the bottom two. And even if Falkirk win the next game between you, it still only pulls them to within 5 points and they would need to 6/6 and hope that you lost at least 2. 

Edited by buchan30