The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Its consolidate 6th or 7th from here on in 9 more points should see us do that, hell I'll even settle for 9 draws we're good at them, get the takeover done and dusted before the season ends and plan the players for next year

Honestly, with the eight place team nine behind with nine games to go…and averaging a point a match, even three or four points should lock up at least seventh, especially if we get a point or more from each of Arbroath, Accies and Cove.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, with the eight place team nine behind with nine games to go…and averaging a point a match, even three or four points should lock up at least seventh, especially if we get a point or more from each of Arbroath, Accies and Cove.

And all three of those are at home, thank gawd

As far as the league goes, it's been clear for sometime we wouldn't make the playoffs. We've had our run of unbeaten form and it yielded wins against only the two worst teams in the league and a high number of draws. Essentially, the lack of a form team immediately above us kept us somewhat in the running. 

We are currently not in danger of going down, but we can't afford to be complacent. Just try and round the season off nicely, if for no other reason than playing for a contract/looking for a move up. 

I would have bitten your arm off to have been 6 points off top 4, Quarter final of Scottish Cup and final of challenge Cup,after that game at Cove in July.

However, a fair few opportunities missed this season.

28 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Impressed by that Ian Murray interview. Absolutely honest assessment of the performance and didn’t try to sugar coat it at all. Bad day all round and move on to next week.

Thank god, we have honesty at last.,if we somehow manage to escape the relegation playoffs we need to see what’s available next season. We need to tie down MacDonald, Connolly at all costs. Defenders and  strikers are a frickin must. 

47 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Craig Cairns writing that there's an "outside chance" he'll play at Ibrox. 

On the one hand, I wouldn't be inclined to risk him, but on the other, we'll be absolutely overrun without him. 

Is that the same Craig cairns who was championing isma to be subbed on at half time today? 

39 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Thank god, we have honesty at last.,if we somehow manage to escape the relegation playoffs we need to see what’s available next season. We need to tie down MacDonald, Connolly at all costs. Defenders and  strikers are a frickin must. 

Grumswall what was wrong with my statement? 

40 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

MacDonald would be nice, for most fans, but isn’t as essential as a real striker, in my opinion (but you lot knew that).

Defender is more nuanced…the showing today was that out back four is vulnerable without a pair of solid DM’s (let’s face it, Stanton is no DM). So the team IM has built can basically play 4-2-3-1 and that’s it…and we only have two real DM’s.

I think with Brown out, consideration should have been given to a 3-3-3-1 or 3-3-4. Move Dick to LCB, Nolan RCB, Lang at CB…Millen (or Masson, if Millen is having an issue) at a RWB, Spencer DM and Ngwenya (or Young) at LWB…then mix and match the rest…probably Easton/Stanton/Connolly and then McBride. Bring on Akio after the half to pressure the tiring defenders, he shouldn’t start.

By tossing an extra body into the midfield mix, it might have clogged the mixer up and slowed PT today.

47 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Murray has been fairly honest in comparison to previous managers. We're sitting clear of the relegation playoffs so saying if we somehow escape them is a bit daft at this stage. 

7 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Grumswall what was wrong with my statement? 

See above and stop being so needy, trolly or whatever. 

Glad that Murray is finally talking about our post half-time glass jaw. Goals conceded in the first 10 minutes after the re-start.

48 - Queens Park, Morton

49 - Inverness, Dundee

50 - Cove

51 - Queens Park, Ayr, Motherwell, Ayr penalty conceded (but saved) 

52 - Cove

53- Partick

54 - Dundee 

So only the bottom two sides haven’t taken advantage of our slow starts to the second half. Too often letting in a sloppy goal right away in the second half has undone a lot of our good work in the first half and sucked the belief out of the team and crowd.

Edited by roverthemoon

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

Murray has been fairly honest in comparison to previous managers. We're sitting clear of the relegation playoffs so saying if we somehow escape them is a bit daft at this stage. 

Just to confirm, we’re sitting ten points and 17 goals above ninth. Even if the Accies and one of Cove and Arbroath could hit the jets, they would have to nearly win out to pass us. We’re getting an average of 1.3 points per match, let’s say we drop to 1, we end up with 44 points. To get to 45 points, because they aren’t making up somewhere between a 13 and 19 GD, then Cove have to get 19 points (2.1+ per game), Accies need 20 points (2.2+ per game) and Arbroath need 21 (2.3+ per game). To average 2.4 points per game, a team has to win four of five…even Cove would have to win at least five, draw four and could lose one to pass us IF we stumble to just 44 points. Arbroath’s job would be win six and draw three.

Even if we collapse and don’t get another point, it would take a miracle for two of the three to pass us, as each is averaging less than a point a game. If we beat any of the three below us, that team(s) the has literally no hope of catching us bar an absolute unprecedented failure on our part.

5 hours ago, JaketheSnake said:

3-3-4 aye? Play Murray ball from kick off 

Not as wild as you think…some might call it a 3-3-1-3

Nolan/Lang/Dick

Millen/Spencer/Ngwenya

Connolly/Stanton/McBride/Easton (effectively a shallow diamond with Stanton shading back)

Formation changes aren’t going to be the key to going on a run. Teams have dynamic formations depending on certain circumstances anyway.

I was at the game, but when watching the highlights again this morning I was struck by how some players just utterly switch off. In particular, Connolly then Spencer for the first and second goals. This has been an issue for us all season, with the most obvious being the goal ICT scored recently. 

The individual players themselves are culpable, but is there the experience in there to spot the danger from afar too? Judging by the mess Lang made by nearly giving away a penalty through lack of awareness, maybe it is our biggest defensive weakness across the team.

My one takeaway from yesterday was Scott Brown is simply the first name on the teamsheet when fit (without Matthews challenging him for his position).

And on the striker front, Akio was extremely poor yesterday. Can’t think of one thing he did decent all afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Raithfan2711 said:

Formation changes aren’t going to be the key to going on a run. Teams have dynamic formations depending on certain circumstances anyway.

That’s my one nit to pick with IM. We don’t seem to see any adjustment in initial formation to account for opponents. His adjustments are all second half in response to leading/trailing. Now, granted, a lot of that is to do with a small,squad and limited options, but still.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s my one nit to pick with IM. We don’t seem to see any adjustment in initial formation to account for opponents. His adjustments are all second half in response to leading/trailing. Now, granted, a lot of that is to do with a small,squad and limited options, but still.

Not as wild as you think…some might call it a 3-3-1-3

Nolan/Lang/Dick

Millen/Spencer/Ngwenya

Connolly/Stanton/McBride/Easton (effectively a shallow diamond with Stanton shading back)

‐‐----------------------------------

Each to their own but IMO this is as mystifying as it is nieve. I thought the suggestion that Masson and Mcneil should play more was ambitious but this is next level. 

You did see us getting completely over run in the midfield yesterday? Is Mcbride who offered nothing our striker? 

Edited by Always next quarter

We need another formation for when we don't have our first 11 or something we can easily change in a game. 

I think the Dundee semi final scared the shite out of Murray but we need to find something.