The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, renton said:

Beyond whatever is going on with the takeover it's actually kinda nice. We aren't shooting ourselves in the foot daily with abysmal business governance decisions, we don't look like we are in too much deadly danger from the bottom. The team's doing awrite, not great but not badly enough to encourage daily gnashing of teeth as to whether the manager should go.

Just for a wee change, it's not too bad.

Considering the position Dundee United are in,  I'm glad our board waited until the playoffs were over. Anyone with a basic knowledge knew that Liam Fox would've been a horrendous choice. I'm interested to see who Murray brings in this summer - it might be there are players he was aware of last summer but who were under contract. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Beyond whatever is going on with the takeover it's actually kinda nice. We aren't shooting ourselves in the foot daily with abysmal business governance decisions, we don't look like we are in too much deadly danger from the bottom. The team's doing awrite, not great but not badly enough to encourage daily gnashing of teeth as to whether the manager should go.

Calm and stability is highly underrated. We are looking quite solidly mid-pack right now, and I wouldn’t exactly be unhappy with the same next year. If we do indeed get a change of ownership, I’d love to see a nice, calm year, with IM working out what works in the Championship, tinkers with his team more, and gets to better understand the new ownership goals and expectations. Yes, it’s not what you want as a fan, but a couple of steady years , especially if combined with  another wee pair of Cup runs, would improve Raith’s position going forward for years.

We've seen in Arbroath what can happen from year to year in this league, but factors for next year could really play in the Rovers favor. Improved finances (we hope) if Sim sells out, this years Cup money, next year looking very possibly like featuring some nice home games with larger draws like DU, the Pars and Falkirk replacing Dundee, Arbroath and Cove, and even a chance of Queen’s being replaced with a bigger draw too.

Of course, this is Raith…

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm interested to see who Murray brings in this summer - it might be there are players he was aware of last summer but who were under contract. 

Also the possibility of losing one or two key players, you can guarantee a few other teams will be looking at Connelly and a couple of others. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Exactly 1 year ago this place was hell on earth the internet. I welcome the boredom. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Agree 100% it's great having no drama for now!! Could actually just do with something to give me a Rovers fix.

Rangers tickets picked up this morning and happy enough with my lot. Come Saturday its must win or we're doomed. For now I'm happy enough. 

9 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

And that is indeed the ex-Rover Quinn Coulson for Alloa.

Not sure that they should allow anyone over 35 on that team…😳😜🤦🏻‍♂️

Edit: Watched some Alloa video, and Coulson looks to be flourishing there. Still needs more experience, and doesn’t have his shooting touch yet, but looks like playing time was exactly what he needed. Good for IM to let him go and find some, even if it hurts a little.

Edited by TxRover

46 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I just hope the new owners, if/when they come in, don’t have their own man they want to bring in and they decide stick with Murray

That's something I'd been thinking about as well. I don't think he's been perfect so far, but I do think he's shown signs of improvement since the start of the season which weirdly coincided with getting players in or back to fitness. 

Is it too early to discuss who we'd like to see signed up beyond this season? Probably, but with little else to really discuss at the moment... 

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:

That's something I'd been thinking about as well. I don't think he's been perfect so far, but I do think he's shown signs of improvement since the start of the season which weirdly coincided with getting players in or back to fitness. 

Is it too early to discuss who we'd like to see signed up beyond this season? Probably, but with little else to really discuss at the moment... 

Clarifying current signing status: 

MacDonald (May 2023), McNeil (ma) (May 2024), Thomson (player/keeper coach) (June 2023) 

Backs: 
Dick (May 2023), Lang (June 2023) Masson (ma) (June 2023), Millen (June 2024), Nolan (May 2023), Young (ma) (May 2023) 

Mids: 
Arnott (May 2024), Brown (June 2024), Easton (June 2024), Matthews (June 2024), Ross (May 2024), Spencer (June 2023*), Stanton (June 2024) 

Forwards: 
Connolly (May 2023), Gullan (June 2024), Mahady (June 2023), McBride (thru May 2023), Mitchell (ma) (May 2023), Vaughan (June 2024)

*Has player option for another year

Sign:

Thomson and McNeil (and almost all would say MacDonald too).

Lang, Masson, Nolan, Young (on the fence on Dick, but could use him another year until Young develops)

Spencer can opt-in for another year, otherwise re-sign him

Connolly, Mitchell (on the fence on McBride)

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

Also the possibility of losing one or two key players, you can guarantee a few other teams will be looking at Connelly and a couple of others. 

Watching your match v Ayr on Friday I don’t think you need to worry  about losing any players. Albeit you played much better in other matches I’ve seen. One fact that seems to be papered over though is the amount of long diagonal balls your team play. There seems to be a consensus that Raith play football the right way, always passing it on the deck. When the long diagonals are launched the commentators just go silent as it doesn’t fit the theory of Raith’s Barca-esque philosophy.

1 minute ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Watching your match v Ayr on Friday I don’t think you need to worry  about losing any players. Albeit you played much better in other matches I’ve seen. One fact that seems to be papered over though is the amount of long diagonal balls your team play. There seems to be a consensus that Raith play football the right way, always passing it on the deck. When the long diagonals are launched the commentators just go silent as it doesn’t fit the theory of Raith’s Barca-esque philosophy.

Under JMcG that was very true, but with Brown and Spencer at DM in a 4-2-3-1 under IM, there is a liking for the occasional diagonal to change up play and open the match up. Both those two are excellent passers in that particular scenario, so I’m not sure it’s quite as out of the blue as you feel it is, especially when the opposite side FB is haring up the pitch after the ball and the mid/winger.

From that list, if we could re-sign MacDonald, Lang, Nolan, Spencer and Connolly then we’d have the bones of a reasonable squad with just an upgrade on Dick needed and the strikers to sort out to make us decent. Just the strikers….

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Under JMcG that was very true, but with Brown and Spencer at DM in a 4-2-3-1 under IM, there is a liking for the occasional diagonal to change up play and open the match up. Both those two are excellent passers in that particular scenario, so I’m not sure it’s quite as out of the blue as you feel it is, especially when the opposite side FB is haring up the pitch after the ball and the mid/winger.

I don't mind a long diagonal at all, I like my team to mix things up and not be too predictable. It's just that some teams seem to get labelled as having a certain style and the punters don't want to mention the times they vary it a bit. I think it's Ayr, Raith and Queens Park who are now being classed as pure footballing sides, and their managers often refer to the likes of Morton as "bullying them all over the pitch". I really find that strange as most of our players are barely over 5ft 6. Do they really mean that they can't cope with our high press rather than call it bullying?

5 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I don't mind a long diagonal at all, I like my team to mix things up and not be too predictable. It's just that some teams seem to get labelled as having a certain style and the punters don't want to mention the times they vary it a bit. I think it's Ayr, Raith and Queens Park who are now being classed as pure footballing sides, and their managers often refer to the likes of Morton as "bullying them all over the pitch". I really find that strange as most of our players are barely over 5ft 6. Do they really mean that they can't cope with our high press rather than call it bullying?

I suspect it's the usual lazy journalists. We got that label under McGlynn but in the end it was often fairly easily stifled by teams that pressed us high up the pitch and it was one of McGlynn's failings that he never came up with a plan to counter that. Under Murray we are still capable of some excellent football but we're not quite so rooted in the play it out from the back at all costs mantra McGlynn had, and we're the better for it I would say. 

Maybe it's just fresh in the memory because we played them just last weekend but Ayr were probably the most direct side I can recall us playing this season. A lot of balls up to Akinyemi in the hope he made it stick.

29 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Well, most of our forwards/wingers may as well be Oompa Loompas for our season long effectiveness with high crosses, which may be part of the genesis of the suggestion of bullying…our players simply don’t do it as well as yours, so we trot out an excuse.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Well, most of our forwards/wingers may as well be Oompa Loompas for our season long effectiveness with high crosses, which may be part of the genesis of the suggestion of bullying…our players simply don’t do it as well as yours, so we trot out an excuse.

It isn't an excuse though. We're not an overly physical team in how we try to play. That's not to say we can't play that way or don't at times, but our general game plan is based around getting the ball down and playing passes. Our best attacking players are arguably Connolly, Vaughan, Easton and stanton. Stanton is the only one with any sort of height about him. It's only natural we don't just lump high balls at them. The likes of lang, brown etc provide a bit more battle when and where needed. 

Such a strange argument to come on to the thread with in the first place though. Breaking news, football team tries to play to its strengths where possible. 

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

257C193F-5CE3-49E4-953B-43A914405B93.thumb.jpeg.093dafbbc51d81dbdc367602a2a8b7fe.jpeg

1368BB2C-8088-4FA0-8290-FC2CE5687FDF.thumb.jpeg.138f6b9a091498ee2dbcb54d792fe856.jpeg

DE422130-F9B1-4C3E-982B-FA820CCEE6DE.thumb.jpeg.a585b70dc5e32f60c650505365f4b67f.jpeg

🤫