The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

Calm down, the boy was hopeless 99% of that.

Fair play to him popping up with the poachers goal but was miles off it for the most part.

Anyway... Another challenge cup final to look forward to. Would 3 in a row be a record? Must be what it's like to follow the old firm...

Completely agree but it's good he scored and did play better towards the end of the 90 minutes. Anyway great result on a difficult night with several players out.

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

f**k knows how we're in the final given the squads available in the last two rounds. Interested to see where it gets played this time. I suspect it'll be either Livingston or Falkirk. 

Hopefully it is at a non spl ground, don’t see why a SPL team should benefit from a non SPL competition

Superb entertainment. We were fucking woeful for the first half hour, the 3 at the back was a disaster and we should have been finished. 

The change made the difference, shame on Masson but there were signs of improvement almost straight away. 

Great strikers finish from Akio and absolutely fantastic effort from Stanton for the equaliser. 

Then for them to see out extra time there was only ever one winner. 

17 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Superb entertainment. We were fucking woeful for the first half hour, the 3 at the back was a disaster and we should have been finished. 

The change made the difference, shame on Masson but there were signs of improvement almost straight away. 

Great strikers finish from Akio and absolutely fantastic effort from Stanton for the equaliser. 

Then for them to see out extra time there was only ever one winner. 

Yeah can't argue with that at all. That first half an hour was the worst we've been all season by a country mile. Absolutely shambolic. 

The tactical shift worked, although we didn't really look like getting back into the match until we scored but somehow we got into a position where we really should've won it in the 90.

The effort put in in extra time was phenomenal. Half the team dead on their feet and McBride basically a man down because he couldn't even run. 

The challenge cup gets a lot of stick, and some of it deservedly, but that was one of the better nights I've had following Rovers in recent years. Absolutely superb scenes in the away end. 

That fookin sensational. My laddie went on and on about wanting to go tonight and if he hadn't twisted my arm I probably would have just watched it in the house. So glad we went. Some atmosphere in our end and the scenes at the end were tremendous, just folk bombing down the stairs to celebrate. Absolute limbs at the equaliser. My voice is gone. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah can't argue with that at all. That first half an hour was the worst we've been all season by a country mile. Absolutely shambolic. 

The tactical shift worked, although we didn't really look like getting back into the match until we scored but somehow we got into a position where we really should've won it in the 90.

The effort put in in extra time was phenomenal. Half the team dead on their feet and McBride basically a man down because he couldn't even run. 

The challenge cup gets a lot of stick, and some of it deservedly, but that was one of the better nights I've had following Rovers in recent years. Absolutely superb scenes in the away end. 

I actually enjoy it as a competition (B teams aside). With the exception of the final if you lose you shrug your shoulders and say “it’s only the Diddy Cup”. If you make the final it’s a day out and the chance to win a bit of silverware most clubs at our level rarely manage in the other cups. You’ve also got the possibility of a wee away day to Ireland, Wales or England. Get the B Teams to f**k and it’s not a bad distraction.  

The final surely won’t be Airdrie with it just being along the road from Hamilton? Livingston and Falkirk seem the most likely to me. Falkirk ideally, as Livi would almost be as bad a venue for a day out as Airdrie is. 

I was planning on heading along to the semi before realising the the rules had changed and it could go to extra time, and the last train back was half ten, although after half an hour I was delighted I hadn’t bothered. 

Fair play to everyone involved though. To Ian Murray for making the change that seemed pretty obvious, as early as he did. To the players for digging so deep and the fans for creating what sounded like a brilliant atmosphere to be in. 

Special praise to Robbie Thompson too, a goalkeeper that was absolutely hopeless according to some earlier in the game. His psyching out routine to every player was brilliant  “ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX. OH, THATS TOO LONG A RUN UP!” 

Outstanding. 

Goodness knows how much they’ve got left on the tank for this Motherwell game, not much you’d imagine, but I genuinely can’t wait for Saturday. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

18 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

The final surely won’t be Airdrie with it just being along the road from Hamilton? Livingston and Falkirk seem the most likely to me. Falkirk ideally, as Livi would almost be as bad a venue for a day out as Airdrie is. 

I was planning on heading along to the semi before realising the the rules had changed and it could go to extra time, and the last train back was half ten, although after half an hour I was delighted I hadn’t bothered. 

Fair play to everyone involved though. To Ian Murray for making the change that seemed pretty obvious, as early as he did. To the players for digging so deep and the fans for creating what sounded like a brilliant atmosphere to be in. 

Special praise to Robbie Thompson too, a goalkeeper that was absolutely hopeless according to some earlier in the game. His psyching out routine to every player was brilliant  “ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX. OH, THATS TOO LONG A RUN UP!” 

Outstanding. 

Goodness knows how much they’ve got left on the tank for this Motherwell game, not much you’d imagine, but I genuinely can’t wait for Saturday. 

Thomson was superb as you say. I particularly liked with Williamson when he was shouting to him about "remember under McGlynn?".