The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He brought on McBride for Millen but it was as part of a change of shape to 3 at the back whilst we were 1-0 down. Evidently it paid off as we equalised within 2 minutes and then scored the winner after another 7 minutes - with McBride actually getting the winner. Soon after we went 2-1 up we changed the shape again with another sub and went back to a back 4. Murray has calmed right down from the early part of the season where we regularly saw centre halves being pulled off for strikers whilst chasing the game which without fail ended up in us completely losing our shape and any momentum in favour of launching the ball up the park. Think we’ve seen an evolution of Murray’s tactics since then and whilst he is still definitely not scared to make subs when needing a goal, it’s in a far more measured manner and obviously today, it really worked. 

Has to be done

D5D34658-00AD-468D-8949-84EBCE413F1F.jpeg

There was some chat about St Johnstone having about 7 strikers and whether or not we could get one of them on loan. Theo Bair was a name that was mentioned, as was Chris Kane. Bair’s just come on v Celtic. Kane not in the squad… 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

6 hours ago, pub car king said:

Stanton is the obvious replacement for Vaughan but we are losing Brown for the Scottish cup so it might be a bit makeshift up front.

Spot on with Stanton, the Brown replacement depends on IM’s mindset. If he wants to keep his formation, it would seem you could put Millen into Browns role with Masson at RB, or Dick in for Brown with Ngwenya at LB. Perhaps more likely is Nolan/Lang/Dick as CB, Millen and Ngwenya wide, slightly flattening the middle of the defence in Brown’s absence. You compensate with Spencer at the base of the midfield diamond, Stanton at the point, Easton left and Connolly right. Then we’re looking at McBride up top.

Edited by TxRover

40 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If Vaughan and Gullan are going to be out for more than a week or two we'll surely enter the loan market again. If Ross was likely to be fit and available then we could perhaps muddle through but that is looking unlikely. 

Ross is likely fit, but not match fit. He’s still got some discomfort from a shot, but that’s likely to be cleared up by Wednesday, let alone Saturday. Givens IM’s like of a thin squad…

9 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Murray mentioned at the end of his post match interview that we may need to recall Mitchell from his loan. That suggests we won’t be bringing anyone else in.

…I don’t think we’ll bring in another striker because we brought in Akio. Yes, he’s cup tied, but that’s not IM’s primary concern here and he won’t get a player for a match or two that may not even occur as we can’t likely get a striker in for those matches.

53 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Spot on with Stanton, the Brown replacement depends on IM’s mindset. If he wants to keep his formation, it would seem you could put Millen into Browns role with Masson at RB, or Dick in for Brown with Ngwenya at LB. Perhaps more likely is Nolan/Lang/Dick as CB, Millen and Ngwenya wide, slightly flattening the middle of the defence in Brown’s absence. You compensate with Spencer at the base of the midfield diamond, Stanton at the point, Easton left and Connolly right. Then we’re looking at McBride up top.

Millen and Dick have been good this season. But there is no way that they can anchor a midfield.

Are we certain that McGill is unavailable for the Motherwell game? He's definitely not played for Hearts in the cup so he isn't cup tied, and I suspect he was possibly signed too late to be registered for the Linlithgow game.

The only way he wouldn't be is if Hearts have said no to cup games, which hasn't been said publicly (as far as I've seen) and wouldn't really be of benefit to Hearts.

4 minutes ago, true_rover said:

Are we certain that McGill is unavailable for the Motherwell game? He's definitely not played for Hearts in the cup so he isn't cup tied, and I suspect he was possibly signed too late to be registered for the Linlithgow game.

The only way he wouldn't be is if Hearts have said no to cup games, which hasn't been said publicly (as far as I've seen) and wouldn't really be of benefit to Hearts.

McGill did play in the cup, the Kelty variety.

Scott McGill | Football Stats | Hearts | Age 21 | Soccer Base

On 29/01/2023 at 19:58, Broken Algorithms said:

If we can start winning games like Saturday and the previous fixture against Cove, we're right in the mix for the playoffs and look like a team on a great run. Lose one game and all of a sudden that unbeaten run becomes 'not won in 8'. 

On 30/01/2023 at 09:32, Broken Algorithms said:

I particular, I like that he's not afraid to thump in shots breaking at the edge of the box. He's only got one goal so far but I feel like there's far too many players who'll look for a sideways pass out to the wing in those situations.

Quite happy to see both of these come to fruition at least in the short term. Next Saturday has huge 'Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup' vibes. I've seen a few Motherwell fans on twitter who have bought tickets who are now trying to palm them off given they've lost against their relegation rivals in their last two games. Interesting to see how Murray lines up on Wednesday night. 

Happy to see Scott Brown among the goals. He's been a very solid acquisition and does seem very opportunistic for when a second ball comes out at the edge of the box. We've picked up 6 points because of late runs in where it felt last season we had nobody in the middle who would do that. 

2 hours ago, true_rover said:

Yes…McGill is tied:

Challenge Cup 10/8/22 for Hearts, 39 minutes vs Buckie Thistle

FA Cup 26/11/22 for Kelty, 10 minutes vs Partick Thislte

Edited by TxRover