The New Raith Rovers Thread

This has to go down as an ultimately expensive fuckup by whoever scouted him, however I also get the impression Murray didn't like him much by the way he readily savaged him in public after Cove. If that is the case I hope it isn't just simply a case of that as if there is a player in there then it is Murray's duty to help him show it. Time will tell I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Dalgety Rover said:

This is madness.

Start of the season, we had Gullan and Connell.

By October it was Gullan, Connell and Frederiksen. 

By Christmas it was Gullan, Vaughan, Connell and Frederiksen.

Now, it's Gullan, Vaughan and Akio.

Even allowing for Akio being useless I'd argue we're still better off than at the start of the season!

If you asked me whether we needed a big Number 9 to hold the ball up or an actual honest to god hit the byline winger... I might actually go for the latter at this stage.

Barring Ross - who isn't fit, all our wide guys come inside. It might be nice to have someone who's first thought is to take on a full back. In some tactical situations it might allow us to get to the byline quick and maybe set up a decent cutback/tap in...

56 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

This has to go down as an ultimately expensive fuckup by whoever scouted him, however I also get the impression Murray didn't like him much by the way he readily savaged him in public after Cove. If that is the case I hope it isn't just simply a case of that as if there is a player in there then it is Murray's duty to help him show it. Time will tell I suppose.

This

Theres one thing,we know how to throw money down the drain.We waited long enough on securing a work permit,wages,no doubt accommodation and possibly a pay off even though hes left by mutual agreement

Dont get others that IM obviously doesn,t not fancy or rate him,pretty sure he,ll have had some involvement in signing him in the first place

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We went to the bother of signing him. You would think after going to that bother, we could have played him a bit more.

Anyway, we’ve still got a couple of obscure internationalists in the squad, so I’ll cope. If this is our new signing strategy, can we bring back Harry Panayiotou, star of St Kitts and Nevis.

22 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We went to the bother of signing him. You would think after going to that bother, we could have played him a bit more.

Anyway, we’ve still got a couple of obscure internationalists in the squad, so I’ll cope. If this is our new signing strategy, can we bring back Harry Panayiotou, star of St Kitts and Nevis.

If it wasn't already, the writing was definitely on the wall for Frederiksen when Akio was named in the squad and then brought on as a sub vs Inverness despite having been announced literally hours before. Still, by keeping Big John on the books until Monday, we at least managed to achieve some sort of bizarre milestone by naming three full internationals in our matchday squad for the Inverness game - Ngwenya (Malawi), Frederiksen (Faroe Islands) and Akio (South Sudan). When did that last happen for the Rovers?

3 hours ago, renton said:

I dont think he's as one footed as Scotty Dog says, but he is a bit handsy in the challenge. He mostly gets away with it.

Handsy, eh…that’ll be the Italian in him.

2 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

I've seen many a poorer centre half than Nolan don the Rovers jersey. He's still relatively young too, I think there's the makings of a decent centre half there.

Exactly my belief and why I hope we do re-sign him before someone else decides to offer him some assurance.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

That's the third striker in the last 9 months that we have punted before their contract is up. 

For the best. It is clear that his prospects here were very limited. I am a bit surprised we have managed to mutual consent him, as I can't imagine he will have many alternative offers in Scotland. 

But now he’s a free agent, before the window closed, so it keeps the most options open for him. Shame it didn’t work out, not sure what convinced IM he was worth the hassle, but at least it showed we were trying…and that sometimes it might be better to not try and reach too far.