The New Raith Rovers Thread

38 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Personally I want to see Stanton back in the team. He offers surging runs from midfield and he scores goals. Our great form before the clocks went back was when he was in the team and scoring.

I want him back in the team as well however that form was with him playing where Vaughan plays and barring injury, I think Vaughan starts every week. I don't think he's as effective on the left either and would actually prefer Easton or Vaughan takes up that role than have stanton out there. 

Millen and dick have their moments but I think they are solid enough for a mid table championship team. Millen does have a great delivery in to the box as well. Lang is again a decent enough player for a mid table championship team and Nolan is decent enough if the balls on the ground. I don't think our cbs are dominant enough in the air though and there is a lack of experience at this level with them. Our defensive issues are pretty much things that can be coached though so hopefully Murray and mickey can get that sorted ASAP. 

I thought we looked our usual self for the most part yesterday. We played neat tidy football, didn't make ridgers work too much but we are dangerous from the edge of the box and got two good goals from that. I didn't see anything from Akio to say if he will be a good or bad signing but he does have pace and will be useful against tiring legs. He also created some space for himself to get a shot off although the shot was fairly tame and straight at ridgers. 

We don't have a bad team. We have a lack of experience and quality of depth though and do have probably 2/3 players in our strongest lineup I'd like to see replaced for someone with more experience and/or quality. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I think Lang and Nolan generally play well together, but I wouldn’t be completely opposed to pairing Lang and Dick…especially as Dick and Nolan are both out of contract at years end (not to mention Lang is too). Of the two, Nolan would be a higher priority (for me) to sign, but if Dick stays solid at CB (and is willing to commit to CB), I’m willing to listen. I just think Nolan is a solid CB at this level already, with very little in the way of experience, and might well become very good.

This may be heretical, but I don’t think we can gain much with another Berra or Bene in the back. Lang and, surprisingly(?), Nolan are both pretty vocal CB’s, and I’m not sure we’d gain tons with an “organizer” back there. If we can get Lang signed, he continues to develop as our organizer and experienced hand going forward (unless Dick is converted?), add Nolan and/or Dick and we’re in decent position at CB for a while, especially if we keep and develop Masson, unless he’s going to be made into a RB.

I don’t know about you, but if we started next season with Millen, Lang, Nolan, Dick across the back, having Masson and Young behind them at LB and RB, I wouldn’t be terrified, and I would pick Dick as the weak link at LB.

I would like a stronger CB in there next year than Nolan, like you say he hasn’t got that much experience prior to this season and most of his development was on the continent, played decent but for some reason doesn’t fill me with confidence at times, I definitely want an organiser in there to ensure the second goal on Saturday doesn’t happen but maybe Murray is looking for a team of leaders . That wouldn’t be a disaster that back 4 to stay in the league but if we want to challenge then someone better needed imo , definitely need to sign Lang up 

A couple of things about the game not related to our set piece defending and inability to hold on to a lead, wasn't it great to see Vaughan celebrating a goal in front of the South Stand again? And full marks for the choice of music at full time. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Nolan needs to play another 50 games of football before he can really be properly assessed. With the injuries he's had, he just hasn't had the development that you'd expect. 

It's a real shame that we didn't get a chance to see Lang and O'Riordan as a settled partnership. Given a season to play together, I honestly think you could be looking at a standout Championship centre half pairing there. 

I'm unashamedly a huge Lang fanboy. He made a couple of mistakes yesterday, but by and large he's a dominant force, and he knows when to step out of the defence and push on (something which Nolan, for example, just has 0% ability or compunction to do). It's also worth remembering that, like Vaughan, Lang hasn't had a pre-season and has been thrown into a scenario where he's having to (literally?) play every minute. I'd have him right at the top end of the list for contract extensions. 

6 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Millen Lang and Dick were horrendous yesterday, that was merely in the first half. That set a precedent in a way. Losing the possession in defence gave Inverness impetus to push forward. 

5 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

I wasn’t at the game 

😂

7 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Our defence is the worst we’ve had in years. It’s not just a Rovers problem it’s an every club problem except the Bigot brothers ( league wise) There seems to be a real lack of talent in this country. Is it a mere Scottish problem or is it throughout the UK

I work with a lad who is a youth coach, he tells me there are more government funded 3G pitches in the greater Glasgow area than the rest of Scotland combined, this also goes for funding for age group teams. That may answer both points in your comment

I don't think there's a lack of defensive talent. I think it's just easier for bigger clubs to become aware of talent and hoover younger players into their academies. Liam Gordon was on our books as a youth, but then went on to Hearts and St Johnstone. Either way, both our centre halves have come from a far higher level of youth football based outside of Scotland. For all the individual errors, it's only been recent games and at set pieces where we've been caught out defensively. If you'd asked a month ago, we'd have all been screaming about our lack of goalscorers. In our last few matches, Vaughan and Gullan have started finding the back of the net on top of Connolly and Easton. 

People are desperate to find a hot take about the current situation. The truth is we're probably at the level we should be. If we can start winning games like Saturday and the previous fixture against Cove, we're right in the mix for the playoffs and look like a team on a great run. Lose one game and all of a sudden that unbeaten run becomes 'not won in 8'. It's very much a season in transition and a bit will hinge of what happens when our mysterious new investors come in. 

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

I would like a stronger CB in there next year than Nolan, like you say he hasn’t got that much experience prior to this season and most of his development was on the continent, played decent but for some reason doesn’t fill me with confidence at times, I definitely want an organiser in there to ensure the second goal on Saturday doesn’t happen but maybe Murray is looking for a team of leaders . That wouldn’t be a disaster that back 4 to stay in the league but if we want to challenge then someone better needed imo , definitely need to sign Lang up 

That’s reasonably fair, but what we’ve seen of Nolan makes me want to sign him because he’s (one would assume) relatively inexpensive and capable. Lang, no one will disagree we need to sign him, but will someone come knocking? He’s normally silky and assured, and even yesterday, while having a bad day, made a couple of beautiful outlets.

37 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Nolan needs to play another 50 games of football before he can really be properly assessed. With the injuries he's had, he just hasn't had the development that you'd expect. 

It's a real shame that we didn't get a chance to see Lang and O'Riordan as a settled partnership. Given a season to play together, I honestly think you could be looking at a standout Championship centre half pairing there. 

I'm unashamedly a huge Lang fanboy. He made a couple of mistakes yesterday, but by and large he's a dominant force, and he knows when to step out of the defence and push on (something which Nolan, for example, just has 0% ability or compunction to do). It's also worth remembering that, like Vaughan, Lang hasn't had a pre-season and has been thrown into a scenario where he's having to (literally?) play every minute. I'd have him right at the top end of the list for contract extensions. 

Even more fair on Nolan, but again I don’t think we should let him go…we’ve been willing to bring him in and play him, you would have to think he’d be happy to sign up again. The lad is only 23, and could we’ll develop into a sterling CB.

O’Riordan was one of those revelations. He’s a lot more than a English League Two CB, and would probably slot into a Scottish Premiership side without a sweat in a year or less…somI expect Crewe to get a nice payment for the lad soon enough. His composure and maturity certainly will have helped Masson and Nolan, even if it was only a few months.

Lang is our potential Berra of the future, but I doubt we’ll be able to hold onto him much longer if he keeps looking good. For an extension, offer him two years at least, and be content with the compensation when someone with cash comes calling.

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's very much a season in transition and a bit will hinge of what happens when our mysterious new investors come in. 

I’m deathly afraid that instead of when, if is more appropriate.

34 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

I’d start Stanton at Gayfield in the 10 role and drop Easton. Let Vaughan drift in from the left (© Barry Smith 2017). Expect Campbell’s hammer throwers to do their usual and boot Lewis off the park, though.

Good reason to start Easton for Vaughan?

Anyway...31 goals allowed in League play...

12 (39%) from open play

11 (35%) from set pieces

4 (13%) from penalties

3 (10%) from counter-attacks

1 (3%) from defensive cock-ups

Brown is now due a suspension, assuming Stanton come in for him it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if we won without Brown whether IM would bring him straight back in, Brown has many admirers for his combative qualities and is a fairly solid performer but I'm not convinced he has the ability of the likes of Stanton, Matthews or Spencer when on the ball.

I felt Lang was guilty of trying too hard at times yesterday, the backwards diving header was his biggest error along with not emptying it when he gave a way a foul for playing the ball on the deck. I'm not convinced he was anymore to blame for their second than Millen and Spencer were, it was a howler all round.

Dick had an ok game other than his calamatious positioning for their 1st and that silly careless foul that lead to their second, had they not scored from one of those errors then chances are he'd have been mentioned as one of yesterdays better players.

The young Irishman inspires no confidence at all, Nolan on the ball just gives me the fear, where O'Riordan oozed composure Nolan is the exact opposite.

19 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Brown is now due a suspension, assuming Stanton come in for him it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if we won without Brown whether IM would bring him straight back in, Brown has many admirers for his combative qualities and is a fairly solid performer but I'm not convinced he has the ability of the likes of Stanton, Matthews or Spencer when on the ball

I actually think Brown is quite underrated. He does have a good pass in him but he's the type of player who is an unsung hero for the work he does. Even simple things like marking the spare man to squeeze the play etc. He knows when to drop, when to press, when to fill in and he was actually unlucky with his effort late on yesterday that just didn't dip. 

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Brown is now due a suspension, assuming Stanton come in for him it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if we won without Brown whether IM would bring him straight back in, Brown has many admirers for his combative qualities and is a fairly solid performer but I'm not convinced he has the ability of the likes of Stanton, Matthews or Spencer when on the ball.

I felt Lang was guilty of trying too hard at times yesterday, the backwards diving header was his biggest error along with not emptying it when he gave a way a foul for playing the ball on the deck. I'm not convinced he was anymore to blame for their second than Millen and Spencer were, it was a howler all round.

Dick had an ok game other than his calamatious positioning for their 1st and that silly careless foul that lead to their second, had they not scored from one of those errors then chances are he'd have been mentioned as one of yesterdays better players.

The young Irishman inspires no confidence at all, Nolan on the ball just gives me the fear, where O'Riordan oozed composure Nolan is the exact opposite.

Brown is due in the Cup versus Motherwell…he’s only on 7 in League play, so has 4 more to give.

I don’t get the fear of Nolan. Certainly he’s not as composed as Lang or O’Riordan, but he’s solid enough and, despite comments to the contrary, seems to do fairly well heading the ball clear too.

12 hours ago, grumswall said:

I actually think Brown is quite underrated. He does have a good pass in him but he's the type of player who is an unsung hero for the work he does. Even simple things like marking the spare man to squeeze the play etc. He knows when to drop, when to press, when to fill in and he was actually unlucky with his effort late on yesterday that just didn't dip. 

I particular, I like that he's not afraid to thump in shots breaking at the edge of the box. He's only got one goal so far but I feel like there's far too many players who'll look for a sideways pass out to the wing in those situations.

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Brown is due in the Cup versus Motherwell…he’s only on 7 in League play, so has 4 more to give.

I don’t get the fear of Nolan. Certainly he’s not as composed as Lang or O’Riordan, but he’s solid enough and, despite comments to the contrary, seems to do fairly well heading the ball clear too.

Nail on head! Nolan has little to no composure, when he receives a pass I don't know who is the most worried, him or us in the stands. True he does win some headers but is generally too lightweight in the challenge and is easily manoeuvred off the ball, he lacks the physical attributes and often resorts to a one or two handed shove on an opponent. He's extremely one footed too, seems the left foot is only for standing on as he clearly doesn't trust it with the ball. At least twice on Saturday he ran around the ball rather than use his weaker foot.

If we aren't bringing in another CH I'd rather we deployed Dick alongside Lang and used Ngwenya at LB, not that I'm a huge fan of the Aberdeen loanee either.

36 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

If we aren't bringing in another CH I'd rather we deployed Dick alongside Lang and used Ngwenya at LB, not that I'm a huge fan of the Aberdeen loanee either.

We have Young back from a loan spell, let’s see what he learned at LB?

For anyone travelling by train to games, Scotrail are doing a half price sale on off peak tickets, you have to buy in advance by the 2nd February, offer finishes 28/02/23

Save 50% on Off-Peak tickets for travel on ScotRail services across Scotland.

You can travel, 7 days a week, right up to Tuesday, 28 February 2023.

The sale ends Thursday, 2 February 2023, so don't miss out.

Half Price Off-Peak Tickets | ScotRail