The New Raith Rovers Thread

54 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Your point about remembering it was the team who walked away is important. Aware that some folk on here clearly dislike Val McD and anything to do with her, but she had absolutely nothing to do with the team disassociating themselves from Raith Rovers. That was the squad and managements decision after we signed a convicted rapist. The name change and sponsorship came later

From the interview I took it that there’s been no contact. There certainly wasn’t any contact even after the Raith Rovers women’s team resigned. Anyway I think that ship has sailed. The Board could still re-establish a women’s first team regardless. From the Chairman’s comments it appears to be on the To Do list but not a priority. 

I feel like this is a point that gets conveniently overlooked too. Val didn't ask the team to change their name to add her surname. The team have said that it was their decision to ask Val to add her name. I'd be absolutely astonished if McDermid decided to get back involved with the club. She's had some rather brutal comments from some folk on Twitter and I can't see why she'd want to get back involved. Re the woman's team - I don't think it's something we should be pushing forward with at the moment. If people want to watch women's football in Kirkcaldy, there's an established team already. There's plenty of standalone teams (Glasgow City, Boroughmuir in Edinburgh) across Scotland and there's no reason why we need to open up the whole situation. 

The club have taken a stance on the transfer. It did come across as being a bit of an elephant in the room but pretty much everyone has moved on. If folk weren't coming back after his release, you'd imagine that they're not going to moving forwards. For most people (myself included), the commitment from the club after less than a week not to play him or use him was enough. 

I'd imagine there'll always be folk who'll use it as a rod to beat the club - likely fans of other clubs. What I would say is that our fans, by and large, were a united front in condemning the signing. The number of volunteers and supporters who took a stand was tremendous. As the chairman says, a line has been drawn under it and everyone involved in the club knows it. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Your point about remembering it was the team who walked away is important. Aware that some folk on here clearly dislike Val McD and anything to do with her, but she had absolutely nothing to do with the team disassociating themselves from Raith Rovers. That was the squad and managements decision after we signed a convicted rapist. The name change and sponsorship came later. 

From the interview I took it that there’s been no contact. There certainly wasn’t any contact even after the Raith Rovers women’s team resigned. Anyway I think that ship has sailed. The Board could still re-establish a women’s first team regardless. From the Chairman’s comments it appears to be on the To Do list but not a priority. 

Raith Ladies club captain resigned on the same day as McDermid withdrew her sponshorship and had hissy fit

We,ll just agree to disagree on McDermid influence in all this.

49 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Don’t think anyone can tell anyone else it’s simply time to move on. That’s up to each person to decide for them personally. Yes, most folk are back and a lot want to forget it ever happened but know a few people who won’t be back until Sim has gone. Personally I’m not going to let an old misogynist owner get in the way of me supporting the team but given his Courier interview then I’m counting the days until he has nothing to do with my club.  Hopefully this new ownership means I won’t have too long to wait. 

Dont see why Sim leaving  would suddenly make the very few who have stayed away come back.

He could leave and live peacefully in Thailand for the rest of his days but we will be seen for years to come as a club than signed DG

Just for the record I think Sim will have some form of interest/hold on the club for some time to come even with new investors

Thats me finished on this as just fuelling the subject that most of us trying to move on with 

Edited by Rovers_Lad

6 hours ago, Raithie said:

I don't know where people are reading/hearing folk still talking about DG saga other than on here. I never hear folk mentioning it at games or in the streets, I've got a lot of non Raith Rovers supporting pals who are all into football and they never mention it. A quick swatch at our Twitter and we don't really have people wading in to stick the boot in. Away fans aren't giving it to us tight during games. Vals clearly gotten bored of harping on about it. If there's folk still staying away because of it this must equate to a very small minority - it certainly doesn't feel like there's been a massive reduction/impact on our crowds anyway. I have no idea what the uptake is with hospitality these days but money is tight for a lot of people at the moment, whilst the DG situation probably had some effect (at the time) to assume that's the main factor at this present moment I don't think that's quite the case.

The DG issue still gets mentioned when it comes out that I’m a Rovers fan. It was mentioned today when I was at work - “is the club still split after the DG signing?” I said no, the Directors who were against it resigned and the ones who were for it are still in charge. 

I can’t say I’ve noticed any huge reduction in attendances. I know one female fan who was a diehard who hasn’t been back since. Not sure how many fans we lost but even a hundred to a club like Rovers is fairly serious. Hopefully the lesson not to sign sex offenders has been taken on board. 

23 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I think the lesson has been learned by the directors and owners of every club in the country, 

The lesson didn't need to be learned by other clubs, only ourselves and Clyde. 

No other club would touch him with a bargepole.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

. Re the woman's team - I don't think it's something we should be pushing forward with at the moment. If people want to watch women's football in Kirkcaldy, there's an established team already. There's plenty of standalone teams (Glasgow City, Boroughmuir in Edinburgh) across Scotland and there's no reason why we need to open up the whole situation. 

Slightly disagree on this, for long term reasons. I have a 9 year old who plays for Raith Rovers Community Club Girls and I think the current pathway for her is to end up playing for McDermid Ladies as there is no women’s team. My son has been at boys Community Club sessions where current Rovers youngsters have taken the training and really got him hooked on coming to games, but this isn’t the case for the girls by the look of it. Totally get the reasons for the break off at the time but it is difficult to explain to a kid who doesn’t really feel totally under the Rovers umbrella, and it doesn’t feel very ‘community’ to be a year down the road and no improvement. Another example is the boys train at Stark’s and the girls somewhere else. Still hopeful over time the wounds heal and they can both feel like they are part of the same thing.

Edited by Raithfan2711

32 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Only have anecdotal evidence, but I don't think that's strictly true. We just happened to be holding him when the music stopped.

30 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

I wasn't just referring to DG, it applys to anyone who has a mark against their name for any offences of a sexual nature against a female or even Male for that matter,  

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Only have anecdotal evidence, but I don't think that's strictly true. We just happened to be holding him when the music stopped.

Okay, I'll reword that - he had 5 years at Clyde when no one would touch him with a bargepole.

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Penman and Smart maybe but given how much they dislike each other I can’t see Sim selling to a group including Val McD or her wanting to give him a penny. 

I feel that if Smart wanted it, it would've already happened. He has the means to do so and he's already involved. I don't think it'll be him. 

21 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I feel that if Smart wanted it, it would've already happened. He has the means to do so and he's already involved. I don't think it'll be him. 

Yeah it sounds more like outside investment than a local consortium from how it’s been referred to in interviews. Guess we’ll find out at some point. 

1 hour ago, Raithfan2711 said:

Slightly disagree on this, for long term reasons. I have a 9 year old who plays for Raith Rovers Community Club Girls and I think the current pathway for her is to end up playing for McDermid Ladies as there is no women’s team. My son has been at boys Community Club sessions where current Rovers youngsters have taken the training and really got him hooked on coming to games, but this isn’t the case for the girls by the look of it. Totally get the reasons for the break off at the time but it is difficult to explain to a kid who doesn’t really feel totally under the Rovers umbrella, and it doesn’t feel very ‘community’ to be a year down the road and no improvement. Another example is the boys train at Stark’s and the girls somewhere else. Still hopeful over time the wounds heal and they can both feel like they are part of the same thing.

This x 100. We were developing a truly community club before last Jan. Would like to see the club working to get that back at some point. As I said before, might not be the old squad but that doesn’t stop us re-establishing a girls and women’s structure going forward. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I think the fact the chairman talks about younger folk rules out Penman and Smart, a pity. He would never sell to Val and she would never buy from Sim.

4 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Raith Ladies club captain resigned on the same day as McDermid withdrew her sponshorship and had hissy fit

We,ll just agree to disagree on McDermid influence in all this.

Dont see why Sim leaving  would suddenly make the very few who have stayed away come back.

He could leave and live peacefully in Thailand for the rest of his days but we will be seen for years to come as a club than signed DG

Just for the record I think Sim will have some form of interest/hold on the club for some time to come even with new investors

Thats me finished on this as just fuelling the subject that most of us trying to move on with 

I'm sorry but it's not just the DG situations. Some of you seem to forget the garbage that was told to fans at the start of the season re "club is Rosy" "sponsorship is up" no apparent effect this season re budget. That was clearly garbage and IMO each and every fan who bought into it was conned. 

Edited by foreverarover