The New Raith Rovers Thread

31 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's a good listen that if you get the chance. 

I'm glad that the club have had someone come out and acknowledge the disaster that was the Goodwillie transfer but also to draw a line and encourage everyone to move forwards together (while also appreciating that for some people that may be impossible).

The Scottish takeover sounds optimistic so far but there's obviously limited details. This might be a good thing given how Dellios tried to take control via press releases and leaks. 

On the signings front,  it sounds very much like a classic case of "we've been offered plenty, but very few players match what we need".

Think that’s a major issue at the moment people haven’t moved on and in my opinion the club is being held back slightly / dead weight around there neck with the GoodWillie saga does the club have to keep on get flogged for one huge mistake ? The chairman has alluded to the fact hospitality was going great guns until Jan / Feb of last year no surprises the reasons why numbers have dropped,  I would love to hear Val McDermids opinion on the club a year down the line will she return , I know someone who has been raped so I was enraged just as much as the majority of the fans ,Boycotted games at first , withdrew my player funds contributions however I returned , bought a season ticket , re instated my donations to the players fund etc . As a club we have to move on and contrary to some fans opinion we have got a good manager who has had one hand tied behind his back inregards to a reduced budget and a horrendous injury list 

11 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Think that’s a major issue at the moment people haven’t moved on and in my opinion the club is being held back slightly / dead weight around there neck with the GoodWillie saga does the club have to keep on get flogged for one huge mistake ? The chairman has alluded to the fact hospitality was going great guns until Jan / Feb of last year no surprises the reasons why numbers have dropped,  I would love to hear Val McDermids opinion on the club a year down the line will she return , I know someone who has been raped so I was enraged just as much as the majority of the fans ,Boycotted games at first , withdrew my player funds contributions however I returned , bought a season ticket , re instated my donations to the players fund etc . As a club we have to move on and contrary to some fans opinion we have got a good manager who has had one hand tied behind his back inregards to a reduced budget and a horrendous injury list 

I do feel the majority of fans have moved on and are willing to put the DG situation behind us, but the situation is still too close to completely ignore, which is what is still dragging it down. In another year or so it will slide from “they signed…” when Raith get mentioned to talking about something else, but it’s still close to top of mind for a lot of people outside fitba because it was such a monumental f**k-up.

There are different levels of screwing it up, and we made the gold medal level. There will likely always be a small few that will respond with “Aye, Raith, that’s the team that…” until they die or someone else does it “better”. Until then, incremental movement forward is the best we can expect because of the raw nature of the disagreement on this subject, all the big moves are over.

For me, it's done in the sense that he didn't play for the club and we eventually settled with him to leave. He's gone. He should never have been here in the first place, but he's gone. It will remain a thoroughly shameful episode, however. The damage that his signing caused is still apparent. That will take time to heal.  

The feeling of despair at such a spectacular, self-inflicted wound that damaged the club both financially and reputationally, and the message it sent? Well, that one has not certainly not healed for me and it will be forever held against those responsible for it. Particularly so for those that refuse to acknowledge what they did, or are blinded by their own ignorance. 

I don't know where people are reading/hearing folk still talking about DG saga other than on here. I never hear folk mentioning it at games or in the streets, I've got a lot of non Raith Rovers supporting pals who are all into football and they never mention it. A quick swatch at our Twitter and we don't really have people wading in to stick the boot in. Away fans aren't giving it to us tight during games. Vals clearly gotten bored of harping on about it. If there's folk still staying away because of it this must equate to a very small minority - it certainly doesn't feel like there's been a massive reduction/impact on our crowds anyway. I have no idea what the uptake is with hospitality these days but money is tight for a lot of people at the moment, whilst the DG situation probably had some effect (at the time) to assume that's the main factor at this present moment I don't think that's quite the case.

Good interview from the Raith TV guys again, very lucky to have them, service from Linlithgow on Tuesday was excellent and greatly appreciated too. Fair play to Sim and MacDonald getting in front of the camera, there does appear to have been an effort recently to improve communicate.

If I am being honest, I have been far from a fan of MacDonald as chairman just based on things in the press and odd bit here and there. However, the interview has definitely improved my opinion. Not because there was anything ground breaking in it, I don’t think there was. But the overall tone was positive and I felt he came across well, with passion for the club, acknowledged past mistakes and the impact they’ve had and genuinely seems honest and with the best interests of the club with a little insight into the challenges he’s faced.

Edited by R.R.FC

MacDonald comes across as a fairly likeable and honest guy but he doesn’t inspire much confidence on the more strategic stuff. On the wider ‘let’s all move on’ stuff, the main problem is Sim’s Courier article blew a hole in the idea that he truly regretted the decision and more or less blamed fans for overreacting. MacDonald strikes a much better tone than that but it’s still feels ‘Can we please just move on and forget about this please’ rather than actually doing anything concrete to build bridges. His answer on the women’s team is telling and a lot of the heavy lifting on the community engagement side he refers to seems to be being done by the Community Foundation which pretty much does its own thing independent of the club I think. 

Have no doubts he’s a Rovers fan and wants to do the best for the club, but I’d still rather both him and Sim (and Morgan) were gone from the club to allow us a proper fresh start and genuinely move on. Hopefully this new investment group can make that happen sooner rather than later. 

As always, well done to Raith TV for getting this up and not being afraid to ask the hard questions on behalf of fans. 

Listened to the Steven MacDonald interview, points I noted:

-”I feel we need younger people, with a fresh outlook, society has definitely changed”

-discussion of young folks in the community club, their achievements there, and hoping they progress into the club

-Sim solely dealing with two or three investors/groups.

-Attractive points of RRFC for investors…club history, relative success for size, “intriguing ground”/iconic, potential.

-Hospitality, how to grow, since it has not recovered from last years error. Couple of things in the pipeline, learning from other clubs.

-Titan(ic). Use as community cafe during the week. Working on match day plans, perhaps a near VIP suite or such for certain games, on regular game days, a pint and a pie?

-Appears the club has no marketing expertise onboard, but some (Chris Ross?) is coming onboard 1 Feb to spearhead marketing.

-Does solicit fan input for ideas on marketing/use of facilities/hospitality.

-“We can’t keep apologizing, we have to more on…all the little groups need to come together”

-Women’s team, no progress, but it is desired to get back on line (phrasing suggested still some hopes for ex-Raith Ladies return).

-Allan Halliday has hit the ground running (Football Ops).

- No discussion of Community FoundationGeneral Manager position applications closing 30 January, which suggests to me they are happy with the applicants..

-Window is difficult, “we do not have a vast amount of money to spend on players”. We’ll need some more experienced players in to replace a couple of young lads hopefully going out on loan…window open until end of February.

-Contract extensions, any movement? “We have already spoken to a few players that are out of contract at the end of this season, and the talks have gone well”, “hopefully…contracts soon”.

-We need to get to that fourth spot, and we need to be constantly knocking on the Premiership door in the next few years.

-Gratitude expressed for fan assistance and support, especially in these tough times.

-Steven said he likes to speak to people directly, but missed an opportunity by not explaining how to contact him (email or whatever if you can’t drop by…), since he said don’t phone him.

Overall a decent wee interview, came across pretty well.

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I’m hoping the Scottish investors are locals, or near enough. I’m banking on a Penman, Smart, McDermid consortium. But I might be talking peeaaasssh. 

To be honest if it was any of them, it would have leaked in the first 5 minutes. Too well Kent around Kirkcaldy to keep that a secret.

Maybe.  Just Maybe.  All this talk of investors is a deflection away from us not signing a striker because we are 'in flux' and when the window closes, this 'investment' will disappear too.  Saves shelling out on players and buys the board time......

I think I have been a Rovers fan too long........ :D

52 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Maybe.  Just Maybe.  All this talk of investors is a deflection away from us not signing a striker because we are 'in flux' and when the window closes, this 'investment' will disappear too.  Saves shelling out on players and buys the board time......

I think I have been a Rovers fan too long........ :D

have some faith bro, it’s all we have. 

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

MacDonald comes across as a fairly likeable and honest guy but he doesn’t inspire much confidence on the more strategic stuff. On the wider ‘let’s all move on’ stuff, the main problem is Sim’s Courier article blew a hole in the idea that he truly regretted the decision and more or less blamed fans for overreacting. MacDonald strikes a much better tone than that but it’s still feels ‘Can we please just move on and forget about this please’ rather than actually doing anything concrete to build bridges. His answer on the women’s team is telling and a lot of the heavy lifting on the community engagement side he refers to seems to be being done by the Community Foundation which pretty much does its own thing independent of the club I think. 

Have no doubts he’s a Rovers fan and wants to do the best for the club, but I’d still rather both him and Sim (and Morgan) were gone from the club to allow us a proper fresh start and genuinely move on. Hopefully this new investment group can make that happen sooner rather than later. 

As always, well done to Raith TV for getting this up and not being afraid to ask the hard questions on behalf of fans. 

Was as angry as any regards you know who but it is time everyone moved on.Whats done is done and nothing can change it.

Regards the womens team,they made their decision fuelled by McDermid and if they,re not interested in returning or moving on let them get on with what their doing

Good interview by S McDonald

Edited by Rovers_Lad

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

I don't know where people are reading/hearing folk still talking about DG saga other than on here. I never hear folk mentioning it at games or in the streets, I've got a lot of non Raith Rovers supporting pals who are all into football and they never mention it. A quick swatch at our Twitter and we don't really have people wading in to stick the boot in. Away fans aren't giving it to us tight during games. Vals clearly gotten bored of harping on about it. If there's folk still staying away because of it this must equate to a very small minority - it certainly doesn't feel like there's been a massive reduction/impact on our crowds anyway. I have no idea what the uptake is with hospitality these days but money is tight for a lot of people at the moment, whilst the DG situation probably had some effect (at the time) to assume that's the main factor at this present moment I don't think that's quite the case.

This

51 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Was as angry as any regards you know who but it is time everyone moved on.Whats done is done and nothing can change it.

Regards the womens team,they made their decision fuelled by McDermid and if they,re not interested in returning or moving on let them get on with what their doing

Good interview by S McDonald

I got from his comment that there is some level is communication between the McDermid ladies and Raith Rovers. I certainly believe the Ladies return would be the ideal solution, but is somewhat unlikely. I do object to the characterization of their decision as fueled by McDermid, as it pooh-poohs the feeling and beliefs of the Ladies themselves. Several made it very clear that personal experiences (either themselves or close friends/relatives) greatly influenced their positions.

34 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I got from his comment that there is some level is communication between the McDermid ladies and Raith Rovers. I certainly believe the Ladies return would be the ideal solution, but is somewhat unlikely. I do object to the characterization of their decision as fueled by McDermid, as it pooh-poohs the feeling and beliefs of the Ladies themselves. Several made it very clear that personal experiences (either themselves or close friends/relatives) greatly influenced their positions.

Your point about remembering it was the team who walked away is important. Aware that some folk on here clearly dislike Val McD and anything to do with her, but she had absolutely nothing to do with the team disassociating themselves from Raith Rovers. That was the squad and managements decision after we signed a convicted rapist. The name change and sponsorship came later. 

From the interview I took it that there’s been no contact. There certainly wasn’t any contact even after the Raith Rovers women’s team resigned. Anyway I think that ship has sailed. The Board could still re-establish a women’s first team regardless. From the Chairman’s comments it appears to be on the To Do list but not a priority. 

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Don’t think anyone can tell anyone else it’s simply time to move on. That’s up to each person to decide for them personally. Yes, most folk are back and a lot want to forget it ever happened but know a few people who won’t be back until Sim has gone. Personally I’m not going to let an old misogynist owner get in the way of me supporting the team but given his Courier interview then I’m counting the days until he has nothing to do with my club.  Hopefully this new ownership means I won’t have too long to wait. 

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

I’m hoping the Scottish investors are locals, or near enough. I’m banking on a Penman, Smart, McDermid consortium. But I might be talking peeaaasssh. 

Penman and Smart maybe but given how much they dislike each other I can’t see Sim selling to a group including Val McD or her wanting to give him a penny.