The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ive read the rule and I’m really no further forward on whether or not that’s offside. @craigkillie, what’s the verdict? 2:45 in on the video above. 

I thought that if the defender made a deliberate movement and played the ball it wasn't offside? It would be if there was an accidental touch though. Sure it came up in the English Premier League last season or the season before. Nice finish, shame it wasn't given.

Think Lithgae could have had a penalty going by the highlights. Would have been soft but definitely in the "seem them given" category. Good result for you guys all the same and a decent draw in the next round.

Officials were poor last night asides from the goal fiasco, there was a blatant offside call they got wrong in the first half and soft bookings. It wasn't a dirty game just 2 teams going for it and they should have let stuff go. 

Well done Raith TV despite having next to no time to set it up and not having all the usual cameras they still did a great job Just a pity the clubs/sfa didn't sort it sooner.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ive read the rule and I’m really no further forward on whether or not that’s offside. @craigkillie, what’s the verdict? 2:45 in on the video above. 

The fact folk are now having to ask advice on what offside is shows that the authorities haven’t improved things by tinkering with long established rules.

Penalties are now a lottery too.

Edited by Scary Bear

Enjoyed that trip last night. Wee man said to me after the match that he wished we had a stadium like that and I found it hard to disagree :)

I thought we managed the game pretty well. They had a pretty decent chance first half and a penalty claim which I'm surprised, given what some free kicks were being given for, that the ref never gave it. Other than that though the fact that we more than matched their work rate meant that the outcome was never really in doubt.

Gutted for Gullan who really should have got the hat trick. The offside/ not offside call was farcical and really shouldn't happen at this level of competition. For me the rule is pretty clear, Gullan isn't active when Vaughan plays the ball through and only becomes active when the Rose defender plays it into his path. 

Hopefully he takes a bit of confidence though as he had three good finishes and another couple of efforts on goal which were well saved and hit the woodwork.

Stanton was good when he came on to replace Vaughan, good to see him back too.

14 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Now we're in the 5th round with some extra prize money hopefully it allows us to bring in a striker. 

I agree but who are we going to bring in?, awbody and there dug looking for a striker

Edited by Wildrover

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Was Tumilty the one who did an interview about how shite Scottish football was and he was too good for it when he signed down there? 

I don't recall the latter part but he did allude to playing each team 4 times a season as being boring and far too repetitive etc 

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Was Tumilty the one who did an interview about how shite Scottish football was and he was too good for it when he signed down there? 

Not quite. As mentioned,  he only really said he found our league set up repetitive and was quite happy to move down south as it was fresher.

42 minutes ago, UpInTheStand said:

Highlights from a different angle… 🙂

Congratulations on a deserved win and all the best for the next round and the rest of the season. 👍

Good highlights, good coverage of the farcical offside call.

Gullan looked sharp in that second half. Fingers crossed he can get a run going in the second half of the season.

14 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

That sounds more like the interview in the Athletic that the ex-Rangers kid gave. He'd been at Ayr. I can't remember his name for the life of me. Also said he wouldn't go on trial to a League One club because it was beneath him. 

You are correct. It’s James Maxwell’s interview I was thinking of - my apologies to Reagan Tumilty. 

52 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Just watched the highlights, the offside goal should have counted. The defender made a total arse of a header, but it was a deliberate action, ref just bottled it. 

Under the current interpretation of the offside rule, it certainly seems the goal should have stood. Gullan was clearly in an offside position, but not involved in the play…as is clear since the Linlithgow defender didn’t see him there. The defensive header is controlled and deliberate, thus making Gullan onside. I’d love to hear the ref and lino’s explanation of the call.

Our record against Inverness is obviously brought up every time we play them, but I had a look at our winless runs against the other SPFL sides, and it becomes even sillier when you compare it to everyone else. 

We're without a win over 90/120 minutes against them in 30 attempts.

With the exception of Celtic, which is at 37 games and stretches back to 1961, we don't have a record against any other side in Scotland that's even remotely as chronic as that. In fact, with almost everyone else, we've beaten them in the last couple of fixtures.

St Johnstone were next with no wins in seven, then Rangers with six, and everyone else was much of a muchness. 

Anyway, that's a little peek behind the curtain as to what I do with my day off. 

I wouldn’t mind RT coming back if he wants to come back to Scotland, because we can sign him and Murray might not need to spend on a CH and he can have Liam dick play there in a injury crisis at the back because can nolan be trusted to be fit for the rest of the season? Probably not and Lang could easily get injured again then we’re snookered it kind of makes sense we all know Liam Dick is a great cover option at CB and Millen could be an experiment at CH if needed. 

maybe if we bring in RT it’s competition for Millen and also he can play RM/Wing Back and gives us the ability to go to a 3 back with the wing backs if needed with a 3 of Millen, Lang, Nolan or Lang, Nolan, Dick that’s better than having to panic buy a CH but thats my opinion 

Edited by RRFC_Liam