The New Raith Rovers Thread

Didn't see the Cove game right enough, but Dundee at home isn't the only time I've wished we had options to add new energy to midfield, to make it more compact and steely but couldn't because we didn't have the options from the bench.

On paper our midfield is well stacked, with a good cross section of abilities and type. On practice, half of it is crocked.

Just now, CALDERON said:

Also, I may be in a minority,  but I've seen nothing to suggest Arnott is ready for this level yet.

It’s a good loan for arnott and one he should have made in the summer instead of Brechin. Murray obviously feels he isn’t ready for the championship so bringing in someone he knows and who has played in league 1 for him isn’t the worst idea, in regards to a striker I think this will depend on if we get through in the cup and the draw on Sunday 

45 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I suspect there's more going on behind the scenes. It wouldn't surprise me if either or both of Stanton and Brown are out longer term with injuries and more details come out in the next few days.

Either that or we had to take X to also get Y from Hearts?

Arnott to Bonnyrigg I don’t really mind, hopefully he’ll do well there, and we’re giving them something back for pulling Mitchell.

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Also, I may be in a minority,  but I've seen nothing to suggest Arnott is ready for this level yet.

He looked solid enough in his appearance with us, but those were short and limited.

6 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

It’s a good loan for arnott and one he should have made in the summer instead of Brechin. Murray obviously feels he isn’t ready for the championship so bringing in someone he knows and who has played in league 1 for him isn’t the worst idea, in regards to a striker I think this will depend on if we get through in the cup and the draw on Sunday 

Fair enough…still hope Henderson comes along with him.

Not surprised to see IM go for tried and trusted as someone mentioned. Was decent for us, good attitude, and he can fill a few positions - RB, RWB, RW as well as centrally. 

Still a weird one as it appeared his development had stunted a bit as I don't think he'd been getting much game time at Kelty. Be interesting to see if he can have an impact at Championship level. My guess is he'll just act as a stop-gap/fresh legs in last 15 minutes and you'll not see much of him

We need to give this guy a chance, looks like he can play in a few positions and we will certainly need cover with injuries and suspensions kicking in at this point in the season. Whilst I agree an out and out striker is priority No1 and an experienced CB No2 players like that don't come up too often. Hopefully a slightly better calibre of player around him will help to make the step up required. Good luck to him.

queen_s_park_fc_glasgow-150x150.png

cinch SPFL Championship

Queen’s Park v Raith Rovers

Ochilview Park

Friday 17th February 2023

Kick off: 7.45pm

rrfc_shield_july2017-240x300.jpg

As Lesser Hampden will not be ready for use next month, our fixture v league leaders Queen’s Park on Saturday 18th February 2023 has been moved to Ochilview, Stenhousemuir:

The game will now take place at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on Friday 17th February 2023 at 7.45 pm.

Stenhousemuir FC are playing at home on Saturday 18th February 2023, which is why our game will be played on the Friday evening.

Ticket purchase arrangements will be announced in due course.

McGill had a decent season at Airdrie under Murray, although it’s fair to say his form fell away after January. He scored a great goal on his debut against Motherwell (below) literally hours after signing, which is about as good a start  as you can make for Airdrie. After the Rico Quitongo incident Murray started playing McGill at left back, despite ostensibly being a right footed central midfielder, where he generally did quite well and was only shown up for not being a natural defender on a few occasions. He scored a few other goals throughout the season, including a fantastic team goal featuring yer man Easton in a 3-2 win against Falkirk (also below), but he struggled a bit as the season went on and dropped out of our best eleven. He had a nightmare in the play-offs but I’d happily have had him back this season. 

I’m surprised he’s got a move up the way though. He never fully nailed down a regular midfield spot at Airdrie and Kelty, albeit up against strong competition. He’s definitely a decent player but a step below Easton, Spencer, Brown etc.

When Murray was with us last season he was famous for his 'Murrayball tactics'. (Playing 6 up front).

Now it looks like the vintage 'murrayball' tactic is to sign 50 midfielders. What is he going to do with all of them?

I wish I could explain to Raith fans how Ian Murray works at times but after all that time at Airdrie. I still can't figure him out.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Who says Stanton is injured. IM stated he trained during the week and would be on the bench tomorrow. 

My thoughts as well. Unless he's injured again between Murrays post match interview and McGill signing. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Who says Stanton is injured. IM stated he trained during the week and would be on the bench tomorrow. 

Close…he said he should be on the bench, but the way he referred to Stanton, Ngwenya and Ross implied they all were not game fit.

2 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Can't rule out that a bid has been made for Stanton or another midfielder. 

By the looks if it Arnott wasn't getting game time needed at Brechin so it was a waste if everyone's time to keep him there. 

Correct, Arnott started out in the first XI and then was dropped to consolation minutes. The fans comments suggested he wasn’t physical enough, too much a fancy player, if you will. Not sure League Two is any less physical than HL, but it’s a nice thank you to Bonnyrigg for getting Mitchell time and might help foster a useful relationship for developing other players in future.