The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Why pitch inspection at 10am. Ice overnight so likely off but 2pm scheduled to be 5-6 degrees. 

Game off and it’ll be over perfect at 3. 11.30 or even 12 inspection would’ve been fine.

Saves people travelling if the game is called at 10. It's a sensible decision. The weather hasn't exactly been kind this week. 

24 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Why pitch inspection at 10am. Ice overnight so likely off but 2pm scheduled to be 5-6 degrees. 

Game off and it’ll be over perfect at 3. 11.30 or even 12 inspection would’ve been fine.

It’s barely been above freezing for the last 3 or 4 days. 

3hrs of 5degC isn’t going to thaw the pitch out. 

Take that chicken out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for 3hrs and see if it’s defrosted. 

3 hours ago, foreverarover said:

I see as per comments a few weeks ago, Kelty have signed that Bo'ness Athletic young striker in a multi year deal. 

3 1/2 years for Tiwi Daramola by Kelty. That’s a ballsy move, but could bring a huge reward if he develops as people believe he can. The advantage of big money support.

Edited to add: Tiwi staying with Bo’ness for the season then joining Kelty, seems smart.

Additional rumour mentioned on the Falkirk thread that Hearts Euan Henderson might be heading for us…can’t find anything mentioned anywhere though.

Edited by TxRover

36 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Additional rumour mentioned on the Falkirk thread that Hearts Euan Henderson might be heading for us…can’t find anything mentioned anywhere though.

Seems a good prospect and was fairly prolific in his last loan spell at Alloa (under Bazza), has even had a few outings for Hearts 1st team too. 

The question is though, is he really what we need?  A former youth international at Rugby Union the lad clearly has a decent strong build on him but at 5'8 (1.78m) he's not the target man I think we need.  His best position is listed as a right footed left winger, we have a plethora of guys who can play out wide (Ross, Connolly, Easton, McBride and even Gullan if need be), what we lack is an upgraded version of O'Connel.

Incidentally had it been the other Ewan Henderson (from Hibs) signing he'd be following in his father Nicky's footsteps, he played a game for us back in the 1990's

8 hours ago, foreverarover said:

I see as per comments a few weeks ago, Kelty have signed that Bo'ness Athletic young striker in a multi year deal. 

If he’s the business then @philpy will be vindicated and @Hank Scorpio will have egg on his face. Or the other way round. I will watch with interest…once I find out what the boys name is.

Quick search and I now know that his name is Tiwi Daramola.

It does strike me that this is the sort of signing we should try occasionally; a gamble on a lower league player to find a decent striker. At least this guy has a goal scoring record. Aye, he might well flop, but so has every other forward we’ve signed in recent times. Some of them hugely expensive flops like Keatings and he who must not be named. Admittedly the latter would probably have scored goals, but the outcome was expensive flop.

I wonder how much Big John has cost so far?

A432BB77-E178-4639-9EE9-FDBA46B30D8E.png

Edited by Scary Bear

5 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Work with someone who follows Linlithgow and his brother helps out at the club. He showed me pictures of the pitch on his phone today. Looks certain the game will be off on Saturday. 

Yeah, the reason you do a 10am inspection is because it's a formality rather than an actual decision to be made.

Was looking forward to this trip since the draw as well, won't be able to get to the replay.

6 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Seems a good prospect and was fairly prolific in his last loan spell at Alloa (under Bazza), has even had a few outings for Hearts 1st team too. 

The question is though, is he really what we need?  A former youth international at Rugby Union the lad clearly has a decent strong build on him but at 5'8 (1.78m) he's not the target man I think we need.  His best position is listed as a right footed left winger, we have a plethora of guys who can play out wide (Ross, Connolly, Easton, McBride and even Gullan if need be), what we lack is an upgraded version of O'Connel.

Incidentally had it been the other Ewan Henderson (from Hibs) signing he'd be following in his father Nicky's footsteps, he played a game for us back in the 1990's

Its not necessarily a target man we need, what we need is someone who can put the ball in the net. He scorer 11 in 16 games for Alloa. A fair bit better record than Connell who hardly scored for Airdrie and East Fife.

12 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Its not necessarily a target man we need, what we need is someone who can put the ball in the net. He scorer 11 in 16 games for Alloa. A fair bit better record than Connell who hardly scored for Airdrie and East Fife.

Didn't Connell get 9 in 22 for EF? It's not as good a record but it's also not a million miles away, and in a team with little other creative output.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, renton said:

Yeah, the reason you do a 10am inspection is because it's a formality rather than an actual decision to be made.

Was looking forward to this trip since the draw as well, won't be able to get to the replay.

I can take your ticket off you if you can’t make it to the rearranged game. Give me a messages 

11 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Bo'ness Athletic play at a very low level. The fact that Kelty, who are unlikely to make the playoffs but are in absolutely no danger of being relegated are leaving him there for the time being, tells you that he isn't ready yet. They would have been as well bringing him in and getting him familiar. 

He might end up doing well, you never know. But I don't think he'd have solved anything for us. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Didn't Connell get 9 in 22 for EF? It's not as good a record but it's also not a million miles away, and in a team with little other creative output.

He did hardly prolific 1 goal in every 2.5 games. Much prefer someone who is thought of by his parents club and scored 1 in every 1.5 games. 

I know I'm a broken record here, but I feel very strongly that we need a striker who wants to just be a striker. Actually someone who's very much not in the Marc McNulty mould. He's like the forwards we've already got, with a game that's built on industry, doing the running, stretching the defence, dropping back into midfield or going wide to get involved. 

I'd love to see the stats on our touches inside the box versus other sides in the division, especially if you could isolate it to just whoever the "main" striker is at any given time. 

There are balances to be struck. Against a lot of defences (think of going up against a back two of Berra and Steven Anderson, for example) where you'd want a Gullan or a Connell who's going to drag them around and create other spaces. But that's all we've had all season, regardless of the opposition. 

33 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I know I'm a broken record here, but I feel very strongly that we need a striker who wants to just be a striker. Actually someone who's very much not in the Marc McNulty mould. He's like the forwards we've already got, with a game that's built on industry, doing the running, stretching the defence, dropping back into midfield or going wide to get involved. 

I'd love to see the stats on our touches inside the box versus other sides in the division, especially if you could isolate it to just whoever the "main" striker is at any given time. 

There are balances to be struck. Against a lot of defences (think of going up against a back two of Berra and Steven Anderson, for example) where you'd want a Gullan or a Connell who's going to drag them around and create other spaces. But that's all we've had all season, regardless of the opposition. 

According to Wyscout, we've had 380 touches in the opponents box this season, which is the third highest in the division. Only Dundee and Partick Thistle have more, with Queen's Park fourth on 364.

31 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

According to Wyscout, we've had 380 touches in the opponents box this season, which is the third highest in the division. Only Dundee and Partick Thistle have more, with Queen's Park fourth on 364.

Thank you. I'm a little surprised, but I suppose it's a reflection of the players behind the striker (and the striker as well, obviously. They're not always wandering about, Gullan's goal at Hamilton was a perfect example of predatory striking) driving into the box with the space that's created.