The New Raith Rovers Thread

The fact Fredericksen scores our winner against QP and finds himself on the bench for the next game tells it's own story. Pretty sure Murray said after the QP game there was still aspects of his play against QP he wasn't happy with. His decision making when he came on against Cove won't have done him any favours and I've no doubt Murray is starting to lose patience with him resulting in his comments post match. Will he come good? who knows but my gut feeling at the moment is it's a signing that hasn't worked out. 

On 12/01/2023 at 17:58, RandomGuy. said:

Clubs can look at lower standard players now as plausible options rather than having to look for ones to fit the narrow permit criteria. Online scouting + virtually no chance of permit refusal means clubs can now sign players from virtually anywhere on the planet

Update on it being easier to sign foreign players due to there being virtually no chance of permit refusal: Championship club today refused work permit for player who was playing in the Premiership last season.

2 hours ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

To be fair to IM it sounds like big Freddo has been a lazy twat in training and he’s had to have a come to Jesus convo with him. John has been asking for game time gets some and then makes an abysmal decision.

I think he’s every right to be called out, we aren’t talking about a 16 year old kid he’s an experienced pro.

I imagine it’s the last we see of the big lad and I’d hope IM is working on a new forward and then I’d expect a mutual parting of ways.

Also agree IM needs to improve in the transfer market.

On that basis IM should have called out the whole defence for their abysmal defending at the equaliser

9 minutes ago, spot on said:

All this criticism of big John for the late equaliser but not much getting said about Nolan for the needless handball for the first 🤔

Probably because there was a it of a push on him. 

He does need to try and toughen up a bit though if possible. 

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Update on it being easier to sign foreign players due to there being virtually no chance of permit refusal: Championship club today refused work permit for player who was playing in the Premiership last season.

Part of the issue here I think will be salary as I think for an EU national to qualify for a work permit the employer has to be paying them something like £27k or more. Not a fortune by todays standards but I'd imagine at Championship level some players will be paid that while others won't.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Who should play instead?

I think he means he’s a shite and we should have signed a better player. Agree with him that Nolan doesn’t look Championship quality especially top half.

to answer your question Dick and Lang should and will start when everyone is fit.

15 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

I think he means he’s a shite and we should have signed a better player. Agree with him that Nolan doesn’t look Championship quality especially top half.

to answer your question Dick and Lang should and will start when everyone is fit.

OK, so Lang Dick is the Lang Toun CB paring (😂), and neither is signed for next year. Our backup is Nolan and Masson, neither is signed. Millen is signed, but Ngwenya is a loan and Young isn’t signed either. So either we don’t have the cash to sign Lang, or someone hasn’t decided yet and/or is willing to risk someone else getting him on a PCA.

Heres my concern, are we really waiting to see if we’ll slip into to the relegation zone before we decide to sign any of our current players? Are we that close to the financial edge, or has Sim perhaps vetoed signings for now?

You can complain about Nolan, and say he’s not great, but he was part of a defence that was nearly the best in the league in the early days. He’s also got nearly no experience at any mens level, his main experience was Italian U-19. For that background, he hit the ground running pretty well for us, and he’s getting better.

Is it normal to annnounce extensions to contracts which run out at the end of the season before the January window is closed?

I wouldn’t have thought so. 

I’m certainly not getting my knickers in a twist that we’ve not announced any re-signings yet, I’m sure Murray will have a good idea of who he wants to keep and there will have been at least initial talks taking place. 

6 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Is it normal to annnounce extensions to contracts which run out at the end of the season before the January window is closed?

I’m certainly not getting my knickers in a twist that we’ve not announced any re-signings yet, I’m sure Murray will have a good idea of who he wants to keep and there will have been at least initial talks taking place. 

Depends how much you want to keep players. They're free to talk to any other club from 1st January i believe. The good thing about Scotland however is that very few clubs know their next season budget right now or where they'll be playing next season so pre-contracts this early are fairly uncommon

Edited by CountryBumpkin

We've seen it dozens of times before where players have a great start to the season and delay extending any deals. Usually players will talk about how much they're enjoying their football and that "we'll see what the future holds" while behind the scenes they'll be reviewing the offers on the table. It's a short and hugely fickle career for players so you can't really blame them for waiting and trying to maximise what's available. 

2 hours ago, stevoraith said:

In the last few years, generally, a few extensions have been announced or during before January. 

1 hour ago, JaketheSnake said:

Lang and Connelly are the only ones who need kept. The rest who's contracts are expiring are replaceable. There's probably a good chance Lang will stay because of his injury but there's no chance Connelly stays. He'll end up doubling his wages at the Pars or Falkirk. 

Agree Connolly is likely gone. Lang is a premium defender at this level, and his recovery is pretty evident, so I expect he’ll command a few offers. Spencer is replaceable?