The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Murray saying post match and in the Courier that he wasn't seeing enough from John in training and they had a word with him.

Hopefully he can kick on from here, really nice guy.

“Skjót bara bóltin” perhaps?

56 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Just watched the post match interviews, what a great bunch of lads, and the big guy is so down to earth, 

Gonna start calling John, “Fabio”, always running his hand through his locks…

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Absolutely fucking audacious, scared the shite out of the keeper, the look on his face was 'surely fucking not'

Looked at the highlights and that was a really cheeky shot, and should have scored. The keeper reacted magnificently to John catching him too far out of the net and somehow got a hand up to knock it over (6:59) as he was scrambling back. I think the Queen’s shot at 6:15 might have tied it back up at 1-1 if Masson hadn’t gotten a foot onto it.

Maybe Big John has thought he could walk in to this team after his big fanfare arrival or has he underestimated how good the championship is whatever Murray has said was needed / worked as you can see with his goal and his 2nd attempt which showed real quality/ believe to take that on , However speaks volumes for the guy when he’s been stuck on the bench and he says that goal was for the fans tonight to say thanks for sticking by me , Every Rovers fan wants you to succeed John  just kick on now 

So, let’s get some feedback from some people that attended. RaithTV talked up Masson’s performance, McBride and Mitchell seemed well involved, McNeil sounded composed, and, of course, Frederiksen scored…so how did it look to someone seeing the whole picture from the stands?

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

So, let’s get some feedback from some people that attended. RaithTV talked up Masson’s performance, McBride and Mitchell seemed well involved, McNeil sounded composed, and, of course, Frederiksen scored…so how did it look to someone seeing the whole picture from the stands?

Masson was very good. Only tired a little towards the end. Mitchell also put in a great shift and worked the defenders well on the right. McNeill was solid and saved what he had to save. Only minor error was kicking the ball out when Mitchell was down but just about to get up, which handed QP possession but was an easy mistake to make. Maybe just me but McBride probably the most anonymous of the young guys, but no glaring errors. 

4 hours ago, basher brash said:

Is that Oconnell away now ?

For the moment yes, he's not had his contract renewed by Killie which ran out this month. His loan is over so if we want him we'll need to sign him permanently I believe. 

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night. Saving big John's interview as a pick me up in case the Sim one is a bombscare. However watched the 3 young lads and thought it was excellent. 

Can't help but think of Hanks earlier post about players mental health. You see as they chat these lads are really just wee boys who are brilliant at football.

I was stood off to the keepers left hand post and dont know if it was a club person or friend but the guy was constantly encouraging McNeill. Not so much now but going back years I was definitely a screamer at individual players. See how it helped no one. 

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

It was another performance that appeared to show that John Frederiksen is not the answer for us if we are looking to compete at the top end. He gets a goal by virtue of a great tackle and the other chance came about by near enough the same circumstances. He had some good defensive headers but looked way off the pace otherwise - both tactically and in terms of literal pace.

McBride looked the closest to someone that could actually start against a first string Championship team at the moment, which didn’t surprise me.

Masson looked ok until he appeared to take a knock then seemed to lose a yard of pace.

McNeil looked ok but could still be more confident at corners, which was his downfall against Morton in the league.

Mitchell looked busy but I wouldn’t say he had the Queen’s Park left back shaking in his boots when he had the ball.

Don’t want it to sound too negative about the young guys because they nearly all appeared to be exactly at the level I would have expected them to be right now - guys who are learning the trade, show promise, but probably should be having cameo appearances this season if up against the established players we have in their respective positions. This is because they still need to get a bit stronger and learn more about getting the most from what they have in the positions they play.

Ian Murray sees these guys day in day out and has given them a number of behind closed door games so I generally trust his judgment on who is starting in league. The easy thing for a supporter to do is just say ‘change the formation’ or ‘play this player’ when criticising the manager but what I’ve seen suggests that to kick this team on the Board need to find a way to give Ian Murray more money to get players who are more of the finished article. The guy is not long in the door and he is left trying to make a bare bones squad compete in a critical part of his first season. 

Think McBride should get more of a chance even as a sub though, especially if Ross is going to be out for a while.

Edited by Raithfan2711

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night. Saving big John's interview as a pick me up in case the Sim one is a bombscare. However watched the 3 young lads and thought it was excellent. 

Can't help but think of Hanks earlier post about players mental health. You see as they chat these lads are really just wee boys who are brilliant at football.

I was stood off to the keepers left hand post and dont know if it was a club person or friend but the guy was constantly encouraging McNeill. Not so much now but going back years I was definitely a screamer at individual players. See how it helped no one. 

Always feel there’s a difference between home and away supports. Last night folk were hugely positive and encouraging, refreshingly free from the moaning element you get at home. Probably the same for most clubs. 

Think a lot of us grew up in an era where berating players was the norm. Hard to shift that habit. Last few years I’ve tried to be much more positive mostly for my own sake tbh as getting angry/irritated wasn’t doing me any favours never mind the players.