The New Raith Rovers Thread

When talking of finances and signing Connell, then according to the salary Sport website then Connell is on £250 per week and interestingly Big John is on £870 and is our highest earner in our squad not bad for sitting on the bench. Also Ethan Ross is on £860 per week. Now how totally reliable this is then I have no idea but does make interesting read.

8 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

When talking of finances and signing Connell, then according to the salary Sport website then Connell is on £250 per week and interestingly Big John is on £870 and is our highest earner in our squad not bad for sitting on the bench. Also Ethan Ross is on £860 per week. Now how totally reliable this is then I have no idea but does make interesting read.

I think that is the site that is basically using salary details lifted from Football Manager. 

Folk would be well minded to remember that players in all likelihood read this forum. You can say what you want, obviously, but mind these players are young guys and only a few weeks ago Raith TV posted a video where an mental health professional came in and gave a talk to the players, then afterwards spoke to the camera and said that every single negative thing that is posted online or shouted at a match has a demotivating, devaluing and ultimately negative impact on their performance. Folk can talk about ‘thick skin’ or ‘don’t read it if you don’t like it’ as much as they want, but that’s the professional opinion on it. Let’s give the over the top criticism a rest. 

28 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Folk would be well minded to remember that players in all likelihood read this forum. You can say what you want, obviously, but mind these players are young guys and only a few weeks ago Raith TV posted a video where an mental health professional came in and gave a talk to the players, then afterwards spoke to the camera and said that every single negative thing that is posted online or shouted at a match has a demotivating, devaluing and ultimately negative impact on their performance. Folk can talk about ‘thick skin’ or ‘don’t read it if you don’t like it’ as much as they want, but that’s the professional opinion on it. Let’s give the over the top criticism a rest. 

It’s a fair cop, but society is to blame.

But more seriously, for as much as we pick at these players, there is pretty much something to like about the play of just about any of them. IM may have spouted all that pish about not being out-worked and all, but this team has genuinely fought hard so far, even apparently without a decent budget, and despite the acts of idiots booing them.

Yes, we’d all love Raith to sign Marcus Rashford and skate the league, but it won’t happen. Instead we will grind away looking for players with the ability to contribute to the team within our budget, no matter how pitiful it is. These are players who are playing because they live the game, not because they expect to make a cushy living doing it, so Hank’s right, let’s not go OTT on debasing and belittling.

Edit to add: Well, except Zanatta…he got banned, so we can abuse him as much as we like.

Edited by TxRover

16 minutes ago, grumswall said:

That is fair enough @Hank Scorpio. I do think it's healthy for fans to discuss the team in the good and the bad though. I haven't stepped foot in a pub in years and don't berate any player at a game. Where should I discuss the team then? That's the entire purpose of forums such as this surely? 

Absolutely. I just think that we should be mindful that if Connell signs, we are going to need to rely on him at some point before the end of the season and I’d like to think that any player that pulls on our shirt feels like he has the full backing of the fans. It’s naive to think that the opinion of fans online, if he sees it, doesn’t have a negative impact on a player when he goes on the park. Discuss - absolutely. But leave the over the top stuff out, it has no positive impact or outcome, which is what we all want, surely? 

Re-signing a striker already on our books when our strikers are struggling to score goals is not going to solve anything. I don't think we would be taking much of a risk at all by rolling the dice and bringing in someone else instead, even if by Murray's comments that will almost certainly be another young loanee. 

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Absolutely. I just think that we should be mindful that if Connell signs, we are going to need to rely on him at some point before the end of the season and I’d like to think that any player that pulls on our shirt feels like he has the full backing of the fans. It’s naive to think that the opinion of fans online, if he sees it, doesn’t have a negative impact on a player when he goes on the park. Discuss - absolutely. But leave the over the top stuff out, it has no positive impact or outcome, which is what we all want, surely? 

Again that's fair enough and I do agree we shouldn't just berate players for no reason, iv not intended to do that with Connell. I have always said I don't think the guy is a goalscorer but he does work hard, has a long throw and riles up the opposition. Iv stated what iv seen as his positives. If he signs for us he can feel free to prove me wrong that he isn't a goalscorer and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong with that. He wouldn't be the worst signing we could make but I, like everyone else would love someone who does score goals. 

9 hours ago, Michael W said:

Re-signing a striker already on our books when our strikers are struggling to score goals is not going to solve anything. I don't think we would be taking much of a risk at all by rolling the dice and bringing in someone else instead, even if by Murray's comments that will almost certainly be another young loanee. 

If we’re not careful this could end up as a re-run of last season?

Just like last season, the midfielders were scoring enough goals to win us games. Goals tail off a bit as we head into Winter.

Connell doing well enough at allowing the midfielders room to find spaces to score (see Ethon Varian last season) but we change things in the hunt for a goal scoring forward. Last season it was the awful DG signing. This season it’s been trying to integrate injured strikers (Vaughan and Gullan) back into the team.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

If we’re not careful this could end up as a re-run of last season?

Just like last season, the midfielders were scoring enough goals to win us games. Goals tail off a bit as we head into Winter.

Connell doing well enough at allowing the midfielders room to find spaces to score (see Ethon Varian last season) but we change things in the hunt for a goal scoring forward. Last season it was the awful DG signing. This season it’s been trying to integrate injured strikers (Vaughan and Gullan) back into the team.

We haven’t had an out and out goal scorer since John Baird, and he was in the twilight of his career. It’s been a massive problem for us for a few seasons now and one that I can’t see being fixed this month. 

I think, in the absence of a proper number 9, we need to play two up front but Murray doesn’t seem to want to.

2 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

He's a Dundee player. I think it's Derick Osei, although I could be wrong on that. 

Correct, beside Finlay Robertson.

Edited by Ludo*1

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Fully agree with this. I've started calling it out with the folk about me who I'm pals with. We've already seen in the past with Lewis Allan the psychological side. In all honesty,  I'd encourage all players to try to avoid stuff like twitter. We've already seen folk tagging one of our players in absolute drivel before a game this season. By all means,  be quietly critical of players but don't scream telling them they're shit. It helps absolutely nobody.