The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

First post on the matter with a bit of perspective. Murray very obviously doesn’t think that Connell is the answer, but there’s more at play than “is this player good?”. 

Neither is gullan though, not in that position/role at least. I'm not expecting us to sign anyone that is proven at this level but we already know Connell isn't the answer. Why not take a punt on another loan player that might just surprise us? 

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

First post on the matter with a bit of perspective. Murray very obviously doesn’t think that Connell is the answer, but there’s more at play than “is this player good?”. 

It's clear that the market hasn't gotten any better since the summer. There's not suddenly loads of young, promising strikers available for loan. As Murray says, it's the same faces being offered out to the same clubs. 

Connell, for all his faults, is a known quantity. Murray obviously knows what he's like around the place, and while he's not the ideal type or quality of striker we need, he's been underwhelming more than actively terrible. We've all seen much worse loan players from the Premiership. 

It's a tight squad, and games are coming thick and fast. If Murray wants to keep hold of a player he knows, and knows (presumably) that he can afford, I don't think that's a catastrophic error when there's precious little else out there. 

21 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Neither is gullan though, not in that position/role at least. I'm not expecting us to sign anyone that is proven at this level but we already know Connell isn't the answer. Why not take a punt on another loan player that might just surprise us? 

Because he might end up costing double the price of Connell and we are skint as f**k. 

34 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Because he might end up costing double the price of Connell and we are skint as f**k. 

As true as that could be, it's unlikely we've been paying his full wage and he might just be asking for more than we were previously paying. Parent clubs usually pay a percentage of the players wage so it might end up being cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You've hit the nail on the head. Rather than saying there are no strikers or players maybe it should also read for our budget or lack off.

Let's say what players other rival clubs sign this month as I'm sure Cove will bring a few in, Arbroath already have and will probably bring in another 1 or 2.

I have some sympathy with Murray here. Connell isn't really what we want or need, and ideally Murray would feel like he's in a position to roll the dice and wait a couple of weeks to see if anything better comes up, which it might do depending on the movement in squads up higher up the ladder than we are. Unfortunately you only had to look at our bench on Friday night to see that our squad is threadbare at the moment and the ongoing availability of players like Gullan and Vaughan who started on Friday is uncertain at best. So with the games we have coming up, it kind of makes sense to get Connell signed quickly so we can play him straight away. 

I don't rate him much, but given where we are at the moment, if Murray signs him up tomorrow on a deal till the end of the season I won't criticise him for it. 

11 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

You've hit the nail on the head. Rather than saying there are no strikers or players maybe it should also read for our budget or lack off.

Let's say what players other rival clubs sign this month as I'm sure Cove will bring a few in, Arbroath already have and will probably bring in another 1 or 2.

To be fair Arbroath have also lost one of their best players after he was recalled by his parent club so it's not all one way traffic with them. 

Cove have signed Brody Paterson so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against us on Saturday. 

Connell until the end of the season is not the worst but of business we've done in a January window. 

It's someone Murray knows and it fills a space. 

For me we need to be looking at alternative formations/styles of play. Friday showed we are good up until the box so we need to Try and fashion a strike force out of the component parts we have at the club. 

The current system of 4231 works well with our players but on Friday we were passing along the back a bit without a recognised out ball as neither full back is the rampaging forward sort. 

Theres 2 cup games coming up which we could use to change things up. I don't give a f**k about the challenge cup and if we find ourselves in control in the Scottish Cup game we should utilise that match time as well. 

Simple facts:

If we don’t sign Connell, we go into the Queen’s match with a maximum of 18 17 healthy players, discounting Ngwenya and Ross, and assuming Stanton is ready to go (questionable).

Here’s the possible “strongest” lineup for Queen’s without Connel:

MacDonald (and I’m not sure he’s 100% either)

Millen/Lang/Nolan/Dick

Brown/Spencer

Connolly/Easton/Vaughan

Gullan

Bench: McNeil, Masson, Young, (?)Stanton(?), Frederiksen, McBride, Mahady

That bench is near criminal? Now Connell would give us “more depth” at our “best stocked” area…but he is the devil we know and no one can say he doesn’t run and work his ass off. We are now perilously thin in the back, and our midfield is a f**king MASH unit. IM needs to find the money to bring in a spare mid and a utility defender, in my thinking…especially if we get bad news on Ngwenya. I’m concerned that Thomson seems behind schedule, as Jamie has looked pained in each of the last couple of games, the right shoulder may not be right.

Edited by TxRover

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Simple facts:

If we don’t sign Connell, we go into the Queen’s match with a maximum of 18 healthy players, discounting Ngwenya and Ross, and assuming Stanton is ready to go (questionable).

Millen/Lang/Nolan/Dick

Brown/Spencer

Connolly/Easton/Vaughan

Gullan

That bench is near criminal? Now Connell would give us “more depth” at our “best stocked” area…but he is the devil we know and no one can say he doesn’t run and work his ass off. We are now perilously thin in the back, and our midfield is a f**king MASH unit. IM needs to find the money to bring in a spare mid and a utility defender, in my thinking…especially if we get bad news on Ngwenya. I’m concerned that Thomson seems behind schedule, as Jamie has looked pained in each of the last couple of games, the right shoulder may not be right.

With all of that in mind, it's spelled arse tx.

I do think the next couple of games while they could be good for the coffers, we need to rest macdonald. He once again showed his worth on Monday and we need him fit for league business. I think arnott would be a useful option to have for the midfield even if he hasn't had the best time of things at Brechin. I don't rate Connell as a striker but he does work hard, noises up defenders and has a long throw. He doesn't score goals though and we desperately need someone who will do that, that isn't called aiden Connolly. 

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

He definitely works hard and he did score a few for a crap east fife team last season so maybe we aren’t playing to his and our strikers strengths 

The guy who sits next to me's cousin is an East Fife fan and said Connell wasn't a championship level player.

Although, what the f**k an East Fife fan would know about championship level players is anyone's guess.

9 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

The guy who sits next to me's cousin is an East Fife fan and said Connell wasn't a championship level player.

Although, what the f**k an East Fife fan would know about championship level players is anyone's guess.

He isn’t what we need at the moment but he is realistically what we will get, Euan Henderson at hearts would be good but doesn’t appear to be going anywhere despite little game time 

Edited by Been going too long

40 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Simple facts:

If we don’t sign Connell, we go into the Queen’s match with a maximum of 18 healthy players, discounting Ngwenya and Ross, and assuming Stanton is ready to go (questionable).

Millen/Lang/Nolan/Dick

Brown/Spencer

Connolly/Easton/Vaughan

Gullan

Young can't play on Wednesday because he's already played for Elgin in the Challenge cup this season. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Young can't play on Wednesday because he's already played for Elgin in the Challenge cup this season. 

Well then, that’s us down to Masson as our reserve back then. Good catch.

40 minutes ago, grumswall said:

With all of that in mind, it's spelled arse tx.

I do think the next couple of games while they could be good for the coffers, we need to rest macdonald. He once again showed his worth on Monday and we need him fit for league business. I think arnott would be a useful option to have for the midfield even if he hasn't had the best time of things at Brechin. I don't rate Connell as a striker but he does work hard, noises up defenders and has a long throw. He doesn't score goals though and we desperately need someone who will do that, that isn't called aiden Connolly. 

Dunno, some people call him a donkey anyway.

The game on Friday will have done sim no harm in his attempts to sell. We are a club with potential. There's a young fan base that are willing to get behind the club and it helps drive the rest of the fans as well. We're not a terrible team, rather a team with a lack of depth to the squad. Give Murray a decent budget and I think we could do well with him. He doesn't have us playing any worse than the last 5/6 months under mcglynn really. Yes he could be better, his signings? Maybe if he had the budget. The two go hand in hand. My only criticism of Murray so far is his subs on Friday should have been made earlier, because I understand the constraints he's working under.