The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Didn't realise the contrast was as stark as that. 

Who were the two wins against? Partick last season and Arbroath this? 

Yep, 1-0 wins. Failed to score in 12 of the 20 games on grass averaging 0.55 goals per game compared to 1.6 per game in away games on Astro. Didn’t realise quite how bad it was either, grim stuff.

So I dropped by the Bonnyrigg thread and enquired about Mitchell and if he was not scoring much because of lack of chances or finishing skill. Heard the following:

“A bit of a combination of a team who currently don’t make a huge amount of chances but also not always looking a natural finisher.

He has a great work rate and has definitely made a difference to a team that really lacks pace and he gets in some good positions but he can snatch at chances, for example missed a one on one page away to Stenhousemuir you would expect him to take.

He had no chance yesterday, as someone above said we played long and high balls into two huge centre halves all game but I think he has been a good signing overall.”

…and…

“I think a bit of both and someone said above. I like Mitchell, he was the only player who made their defence work yesterday. He's raw but I think there's a player in there, would maybe be good in a front 3 where he could move about and switch positions with 2 others.

Don't know if he has a future at Raith but I'd say he's worth another shot in preseason should they want to give him a run.”

Sounds like someone useful for us if and when we give up on the single forward routine…not sure he’d help us right now.

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

@Specky Ginger was whom I was responding to, and his suggestion that if they didn’t win they couldn’t complain if not offered contracts or if offered lessor amounts in the summer. Perhaps saying fire them was hyperbolic, but that was the tenor of the post.

The atmosphere was actually detectable on the RaithTV coverage too, good show all!

Really? Not like you to get 5 from 2+2.

You obviously didn't agree with the two other guys but I actually think they were 100% spot on.

Romance of the cup aside, any side in the Championship would be expecting to progress progress past a team 3 full divisions below them, cup shocks come and go but very rarely with such a gulf in between.

Again I am in agreement with the other comment, if the players are living in a complete bubble and are so clueless to the financial state of the club to the extent they neither know nor care about the need to progress and hopefully draw a plum financial tie then we really are fecked! Tenor of the post was if they don't progress then they must know the likelihood's of new or improved contracts diminish. You were the only one to say "Fired", getting told you're sacked and being told we cant afford to renew your contract are a bit different.

Mind you maybe the team are just of the thinking that "we did our bit last season and won through to two games at Celtic Park and a cup final and the directors spunked away the lot! So that's the point?"

2 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Really? Not like you to get 5 from 2+2.

You obviously didn't agree with the two other guys but I actually think they were 100% spot on.

Romance of the cup aside, any side in the Championship would be expecting to progress progress past a team 3 full divisions below them, cup shocks come and go but very rarely with such a gulf in between.

Again I am in agreement with the other comment, if the players are living in a complete bubble and are so clueless to the financial state of the club to the extent they neither know nor care about the need to progress and hopefully draw a plum financial tie then we really are fecked! Tenor of the post was if they don't progress then they must know the likelihood's of new or improved contracts diminish. You were the only one to say "Fired", getting told you're sacked and being told we cant afford to renew your contract are a bit different.

Mind you maybe the team are just of the thinking that "we did our bit last season and won through to two games at Celtic Park and a cup final and the directors spunked away the lot! So that's the point?"

A wee bit harsh I feel. Saying that if they don’t win they might not get contracts offered, to me, IS threatening firing them. I’ve always found threats in such a manner tend toward the counter-production. You get better results with a carrot than a stick. I don’t disagree with much of what was said, despite what you took from that.

Maybe the players are just thinking about winning matches and hoping the BoD can get their act together and scrape up enough loose change for a scoring forward instead of worrying about expectations and demands…that’s more coach/manager level matters.

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Usually about once a year in any given competition…see Aston Villa 1-2 Stevenage just today.

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Usually about once a year in any given competition…see Aston Villa 1-2 Stevenage just today.

Hearts losing to Brora Rangers was a fairly big shock result of recent times. If that can happen…

At our level, Ayr and Accies both losing at Auchinleck are shocks of about the same magnitude as it would be if we lost to Linlithgow.

We’ll be fine!

Edited by Scary Bear

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

A wee bit harsh I feel. Saying that if they don’t win they might not get contracts offered, to me, IS threatening firing them. I’ve always found threats in such a manner tend toward the counter-production. You get better results with a carrot than a stick. I don’t disagree with much of what was said, despite what you took from that.

Maybe the players are just thinking about winning matches and hoping the BoD can get their act together and scrape up enough loose change for a scoring forward instead of worrying about expectations and demands…that’s more coach/manager level matters.

Like I said if they cannot see the connection of defeat leading to a potential lack of income for the club and any associated (blindingly bleeding obvious) consequences to the club given the recent statements from the boards, then they are either living in said bubble or are stupid beyond words. It's not a threat but it's definitely reading between the lines.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

True and like Newcastle yesterday it was an unexpected defeat. How many of those teams fans are saying that should never have happened happened as opposed to the one's blithely saying "oh well that's the cup, it happens" ? The guys are  STILL right to expect progression just like those EPL teams fans did.   The big difference is No Newcastle or Aston Villa players will be worried about their contracts because the defeat does not effect them in that was, but for our players the same cannot be said.

Not having a run in the FA cup for Newcastle or Aston Villa is at best a disappointing inconvenience but no huge financial impingement.  Progressing and drawing the O.F. or getting a televised game (or both) could potentially pay for a much needed player or two which could see us finishing in the top 4. The difference between our placings in the last 2 seasons was £150,000 in prize money, that impacts massively on budgets for contracts.

2 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Like I said if they cannot see the connection of defeat leading to a potential lack of income for the club and any associated (blindingly bleeding obvious) consequences to the club given the recent statements from the boards, then they are either living in said bubble or are stupid beyond words. It's not a threat but it's definitely reading between the lines.

True and like Newcastle yesterday it was an unexpected defeat. How many of those teams fans are saying that should never have happened happened as opposed to the one's blithely saying "oh well that's the cup, it happens" ? The guys are  STILL right to expect progression just like those EPL teams fans did.   The big difference is No Newcastle or Aston Villa players will be worried about their contracts because the defeat does not effect them in that was, but for our players the same cannot be said.

Not having a run in the FA cup for Newcastle or Aston Villa is at best a disappointing inconvenience but no huge financial impingement.  Progressing and drawing the O.F. or getting a televised game (or both) could potentially pay for a much needed player or two which could see us finishing in the top 4. The difference between our placings in the last 2 seasons was £150,000 in prize money, that impacts massively on budgets for contracts.

I understand the argument, but the players should not be expected to draw such conclusions or ponder such management concerns. The players should have a clear understanding of their position delivered to them by management, and if management wish to deliver your message, so be it. Let’s face it, your average player isn’t a business student or an intellectual giant.

As for the defeats, as I’ve said before, that’s why they play the games. Any player or team can have off and on days, regardless of level or skill. On the other hand, it is the job of management to insulate the players from those concerns, and allow them to concentrate upon the games…which should provide similar results.

9 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Soooooooo, no player rumours then? Oot or in.

No rumours but we must have the smallest squad in this league with nothing of note game changer wise sitting on the bench. To ensure we don't finish 9th I think we need a couple of bodies in. Still think we need someone to replace O'Riordan as we are one injury away from an issue at CH and that elusive striker.

Hartley will be allowed to strengthen Cove, Arbroath have added and ICT will not finish below us. Yes we are probably 5 wins from safety but in this league they won't be easy to come by.

Decent vlog from Friday's game with video of the Young Team's pre match march. Kudos to them for organising this and creating a bit of an atmosphere, hopefully they continue this going forward and keep turning up.

28 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Easy for us older guys to be cynical about marches, drums and the like but it’s great to see an atmosphere being created. Definitely made a difference on Friday. Anything that attracts folk along to support the club and be part of it is to be welcomed. 

Definitely just a shame they wouldn’t let me join in with my BHS cardigan 😂😂

33 minutes ago, Raithie said:

So happy to discuss signing Connell an young inexperienced striker who had shown nothing but not entertaining the loan market with young inexperienced players  

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Only thing I would say, is that if he doesn't sign Connell,  he loses another body with no obvious replacement lined up. 

Not saying he's the answer though...depends on what the club can afford.

First post on the matter with a bit of perspective. Murray very obviously doesn’t think that Connell is the answer, but there’s more at play than “is this player good?”.