The New Raith Rovers Thread

With our reported money issues, I’d say that a decent run in the Scottish this year is absolutely essential. Going out to Linlithgow would be a disaster. Just as well they’re not doing too well in their league… Just the 12 points clear at the top with 14/17 wins. Great stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

With our reported money issues, I’d say that a decent run in the Scottish this year is absolutely essential. Going out to Linlithgow would be a disaster. Just as well they’re not doing too well in their league… Just the 12 points clear at the top with 14/17 wins. Great stuff. 

We should still be beating them with relative ease. Not taking it for granted by saying that but we really should be. 

I'd be tempted to go 4-4-2 Wednesday night, stick Big John and Wee Lewis up front and see how they get on, give it 45 mins and if it doesn't work then change it.  I'm not sure we have seen enough of Frederiksen to really judge him, or maybe not found the right formation for him to play in and if the club are paying his wages then it is up to the manager to find a solution or get him out of here ffs

Tickets on sale on Monday for the Linlithgow match according to their twitter feed. £18.

There's no doubt that we can't underestimate them but we will be better than them man for man in every position. If the players turn up and do their job professionally we should win by a couple of goals. 

Crewe coach on todays match, discusses Conner at/after 2:50 mark. Very complementary of Connors development and ability to play out from the back, plus his overall play at RCB. Clearly says he wants him for the rest of the year.

https://twitter.com/crewealexfc/status/1611784887312486400?s=20&t=npfWdcrLbLd7YBYXW8FR-w

Edited to add: Crewe forums suggest the play defensively was much superior with Connor in there.

Edited by TxRover

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

We should still be beating them with relative ease. Not taking it for granted by saying that but we really should be. 

I agree 100%.

If the players selected can't win the game, and the club miss out on a big payday and prize money as a consequence, they really can't have any complaints if they're either not offered contracts or reduced terms in the summer.

17 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I agree 100%.

If the players selected can't win the game, and the club miss out on a big payday and prize money as a consequence, they really can't have any complaints if they're either not offered contracts or reduced terms in the summer.

Except that it’s never that easy. Yes, we should easily beat Linlithgow, but that’s why they play the games and bookies make money. The coach can set up a team poorly, a player(s) can have a bad day because of some reason, the referee can have an absolute shocker, etc. it’s all well and good to say fire them if they don’t win, but I don’t see people demanding special rewards for winning games we had no business winning.

Well, anyway, onto the real question. We have two Cup matches coming up where we could use non-starters to see if they can work for us or not…but we would potentially sacrifice some cash if we do that. What are the prizes we are shooting for here? I can’t find anywhere a recently listing for prize money differences between a Scottish Cup R4 or R5 exit, or the SPFL Trust Cup for exit in Quarters or Semis…anyone got any idea?

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Except that it’s never that easy. Yes, we should easily beat Linlithgow, but that’s why they play the games and bookies make money. The coach can set up a team poorly, a player(s) can have a bad day because of some reason, the referee can have an absolute shocker, etc. it’s all well and good to say fire them if they don’t win, but I don’t see people demanding special rewards for winning games we had no business winning.

Well, anyway, onto the real question. We have two Cup matches coming up where we could use non-starters to see if they can work for us or not…but we would potentially sacrifice some cash if we do that. What are the prizes we are shooting for here? I can’t find anywhere a recently listing for prize money differences between a Scottish Cup R4 or R5 exit, or the SPFL Trust Cup for exit in Quarters or Semis…anyone got any idea?

234191232_ScotCupmonies2022-23.thumb.jpg.5c9a1a38b57633f44a3f39f309ccfc6c.jpg

Losing to Linlithgow Rose would be the club's most embarrassing result in my time as a supporter. 

That is far from saying it won't happen, because there always is a possibility. There is absolutely no excuse for losing that game, though. 

29 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I'm not saying cup shocks can't happen. That's part of the charm of cup football, part of the charm of supporting the rovers is exactly that in my life time. Who said fire any one if we don't win though? 

I hope the people who got the atmosphere going again last night continue to do so at future games btw. My Mrs heard it from beyond oriel Road last night. Superb effort from everyone. 

51 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The challenge Cup win was 25k, 20k for runner up in challenge Cup. It was agreed to be split between ourselves and Inverness in the non played final. Not exactly much. 

Edited by foreverarover

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

I'm not saying cup shocks can't happen. That's part of the charm of cup football, part of the charm of supporting the rovers is exactly that in my life time. Who said fire any one if we don't win though? 

I hope the people who got the atmosphere going again last night continue to do so at future games btw. My Mrs heard it from beyond oriel Road last night. Superb effort from everyone. 

@Specky Ginger was whom I was responding to, and his suggestion that if they didn’t win they couldn’t complain if not offered contracts or if offered lessor amounts in the summer. Perhaps saying fire them was hyperbolic, but that was the tenor of the post.

The atmosphere was actually detectable on the RaithTV coverage too, good show all!

14 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Tickets on sale on Monday for the Linlithgow match according to their twitter feed. £18.

There's no doubt that we can't underestimate them but we will be better than them man for man in every position. If the players turn up and do their job professionally we should win by a couple of goals. 

12 hours ago, Michael W said:

Losing to Linlithgow Rose would be the club's most embarrassing result in my time as a supporter. 

That is far from saying it won't happen, because there always is a possibility. There is absolutely no excuse for losing that game, though. 

I wonder what state their pitch is currently in after the recent weather. It’s a cliche, but that could be the leveller. We are used to a lovely artificial surface. If Prestonfield is a mud bath, we may struggle.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I wonder what state their pitch is currently in after the recent weather. It’s a cliche, but that could be the leveller. We are used to a lovely artificial surface. If Prestonfield is a mud bath, we may struggle.

Just to add to this. We have only won 2 of our last 20 matches on grass. Full record is:

Played: 20      
Won: 2       
Drawn: 8        
Lost: 10      
Scoring average 0.55 per game.

In that same time our record away from home on astro is:

Played: 15     
Won: 11      
Drawn: 1    
Lost: 3         
Scoring average 1.6 per game.

Obviously helped by the fact the poorer league sides like QOS and Accies play on Astro as well as defeating lower league dross like Banks O’ Dee and Falkirk but enough there to suggest our passing approach doesn’t translate particularly well to a bobbly grass surface.

If we play to our maximum we will win but there is definitely upset potential in the game. Get an early goal, we might relax play our football and win comfortably. However, if we continue our wastefulness in front of goal, the longer it stays 0-0 the more belief they take and then one defensive mistake is all it takes to become a disaster. Hopefully MacDonald isn’t required to play as well as McGurn did on our last visit!

Edited by R.R.FC

30 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Just to add to this. We have only won 2 of our last 20 matches on grass. Full record is:

Played: 20      
Won: 2       
Drawn: 8        
Lost: 10

In that same time our record away from home on astro is:

Played: 15     
Won: 11      
Drawn: 1    
Lost: 3

Obviously helped by the fact the poorer league sides like QOS and Accies play on Astro as well as defeating lower league dross like Banks O’ Dee and Falkirk but enough there to suggest our passing approach doesn’t translate particularly well to a bobbly grass surface.

If we play to our maximum we will win but there is definitely upset potential in the game. Get an early goal, we might relax play our football and win comfortably. However, if we continue our wastefulness in front of goal, the longer it stays 0-0 the more belief they take and then one defensive mistake is all it takes to become a disaster. Hopefully MacDonald isn’t required to play as well as McGurn did on our last visit!

Didn't realise the contrast was as stark as that. 

Who were the two wins against? Partick last season and Arbroath this?