The New Raith Rovers Thread

Vaughan is not the same player was before. That's not to say he won't be again, but it's going to take time for him to get there. Despite being back playing 4 serious injuries will take their toll and he might have to adjust his style. 

For me he looks slower but showed some nice touches last night. 

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Vaughan is not the same player was before. That's not to say he won't be again, but it's going to take time for him to get there. Despite being back playing 4 serious injuries will take their toll and he might have to adjust his style. 

Yeah he does but hoping in time he will re discover some form 

I think Vaughan will need a proper pre season before he gets back to where he was before. Its alot to ask for him to be at that level having not played or trained properly for 14 months. 

On the game last night gullan and Vaughan where done after about 60/65 minutes. I know we don't have the depth on the bench but Murray really should have made the changes alot earlier. I would have brought frederiksen on before Connell just for the out ball potential. Even if he isn't as mobile etc he will still have gave the rest of the team something to aim at and get us up the pitch. It's the first time iv came away from a game and thought Murray really should have done better. In saying that he did get the tactics spot on in the first half and it's clear that a lack of squad depth is the reason he didn't make the changes earlier. I thought Spencer was motm last night, he dictated everything in the first half especially and broke up the play well in the second. 

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Agreed, LV doesn’t look like the slide it in at the back post, with his outstretched toe, from a cross player we’ve seen before. But he’s still a player well capable of a nice pass and moving the ball around…and more may slowly return. I do love the idea of more of an impact sub role for LV for now. Let’s give Frederiksen and McBride a real chance, either s**t or get of the pot with Mahady as well. Let’s see what we truly have before the window closes, and the Linlithgow match is an idea chance. It won’t leave much time (or options, probably), but at least we’ll have clarity.

Id like to see Arnott back from Brechin, as he’s apparently out of favor there, and I’m torn on Mitchell. Mitchell is getting playing time at Bonnyrigg, and seems to be useful to them, even if he’s not banging them in. He’s played as both a winger and a striker on his loans, and is reported as a hard worker and fast as a thief. We’ve seen the passing ability of our midfielders, and having someone who can threaten to nip in behind the opposing defenders would certainly open more of the middle of the pitch for us. In that mould, Connolly already terrorizes the opposing FB’s, and it gives everyone else some space.

For what it's worth, it's also worth remembering that the squad and manager has changed significantly since before Vaughan was injured, especially given that he only managed a handful of games in '21-22 before his fourth ACL. With Matthews out, of our regular starters there's only Gullan, Spencer and MacDonald left who Vaughan has played with for any significant period of time. Granted he'll have been training with the current squad and working with the manager while he's been recovering from injury, but it's maybe something else to factor in as he gets back up to speed. Just delighted to see Lewis back and playing regardless though.

16 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I think Vaughan will need a proper pre season before he gets back to where he was before. Its alot to ask for him to be at that level having not played or trained properly for 14 months. 

On the game last night gullan and Vaughan where done after about 60/65 minutes. I know we don't have the depth on the bench but Murray really should have made the changes alot earlier. I would have brought frederiksen on before Connell just for the out ball potential. Even if he isn't as mobile etc he will still have gave the rest of the team something to aim at and get us up the pitch. It's the first time iv came away from a game and thought Murray really should have done better. In saying that he did get the tactics spot on in the first half and it's clear that a lack of squad depth is the reason he didn't make the changes earlier. I thought Spencer was motm last night, he dictated everything in the first half especially and broke up the play well in the second. 

Frederiksen hasn't shown anything at all to suggest he'd be a useful out ball.

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Connell aside, everyone on that bench has been used very sparingly. I think that speaks volumes: there is a quality issue and/or the manager doesn't trust them. 

It was clear we needed a sub last night. Yet, I am quite sure just about none of us knew exactly what we wanted. There was no option for trying to shore up central midfield, which is something we really needed as we were being overrrun and none of the subs available really inspired any confidence. Something had to be done, fully agree with that, but none of the subs were fling to address the problems we were having. 

18 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I agree with you about the timing of the subs. If nothing else, having either Connell or Frederikson on would have given us more aerial prowess defending the countless corners Dundee had in the second half.

Also worth remembering Vaughan is only training a couple of times a week now, so that's going to have an impact on how quickly he gets up to speed too.  But you can see from last night that he's slowly starting to get there.   I think as long as he can get through this season with nothing going wrong, regardless of if he's hitting the levels he did before, just getting through the next four a bit months will give him a ton of confidence that his knees are holding up.  Then get a proper pre-season in him and hopefully see him back near his best next season.

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Frederiksen hasn't shown anything at all to suggest he'd be a useful out ball.

He was fresh legs though and we sorely needed them. 

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Connell aside, everyone on that bench has been used very sparingly. I think that speaks volumes: there is a quality issue and/or the manager doesn't trust them. 

It was clear we needed a sub last night. Yet, I am quite sure just about none of us knew exactly what we wanted. There was no option for trying to shore up central midfield, which is something we really needed as we were being overrrun and none of the subs available really inspired any confidence. Something had to be done, fully agree with that, but none of the subs were fling to address the problems we were having. 

Yeah I'd agree it does speak volumes. It very much looks like Murray has signed the likes of mcbride and frederiksen because they loosely fit what he was looking for, were in budget and there was nothing better available. To leave gullan on where he was literally bent over blowing out his arse for the last 20 is pretty criminal though. The guy went off on Monday with a tight calf. I'm not overly bashing Murray as you can only piss with the cock you've got but fresh legs were needed. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Results going for us today with Cove's goal difference taking another hammering into the bargain. 

On the other hand, the next three matches, excluding Linlithgow, are Queen’s, Cove and ICT…could be rough. Murray with 4 for Queen’s, but Cove is very much thin with loanee loses. Queen’s is very much in form, and they are scoring for fun relatively and conceding little…dreading Wednesday.

13 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

So that'll be a nailed on scrappy 1-0 home win next week then. 🙄

With Hartley coming out of retirement to score the winner... 

In all seriousness though, a win next week and we will just about be out of reach of the bottom 3. Even a draw would be decent. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

On the other hand, the next three matches, excluding Linlithgow, are Queen’s, Cove and ICT…could be rough. Murray with 4 for Queen’s, but Cove is very much thin with loanee loses. Queen’s is very much in form, and they are scoring for fun relatively and conceding little…dreading Wednesday.

QP is the CC so who gives a shit. Cove game is important.

Just now, renton said:

QP is the CC so who gives a shit. Cove game is important.

Yea, forgot the Queen’s match is CC…change of plan:

McNeil

Millen/Masson/Nolan/Young

Brown

Connolly/Spencer/Easton

Frederiksen/McBride