The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, The Tiel Burn said:

I heard it as he missed last week with virus so possibly still an issue. Manager clears up likely a knock in training or dual issue. Tuned in to their broadcast tonight. Wish we had access for the weeks I can't make it's an excellent product.

Craig Dargo on Commentary put some of the BBC wage thief's to shame. Excellent foil for RTV team. 

You can get an audio subscription domestically, and that includes a full match replay available after midnight.

To be honest we’ve been better without Stanton in the last two games. I’d far rather he was available obviously, and him coming on for Vaughan rather than Connell last night would’ve been immeasurably better, but after his purple patch in September/October he’s been fine at best for me. I don’t think he should be walking back into the team when fit. 

Speaking of Connell, I will treat him signing on a permanent deal as an act of war.  

I don't think Stanton has a 'natural' position in the current system we're using. Not from the start. He's obviously not taking Brown's place and you don't really want him out wide, so he either replaces Spencer or Vaughan. He's not as good a 6 as Spencer is, and not a good a 10 as Vaughan. He's perfect to come off the bench, though, because he can come in for Spencer (or Brown) if you're chasing the game and need more drive, or he can come on for Vaughan and give you a bit more dig in the middle if you're holding on.

That's not to say he shouldn't be starting, I think he's comfortably in our best eleven players, but you'd need to find a different setup to not be crowbarring him in a little currently. 

If we are signing Connell it has to be until the end of the season in the hope that he plays out of his skin to prove he's worthy of an extension. 

He's showed that he's capable in very brief spells but we need him to be far more consistent. 

Personally, I hope we take a chance on another forward. 

Uncertainty around funding, ownership and generally just existing aside there needs to be some kind of discussion about how long Matthews, Ross and Stanton are likely to be out.

Last night, I'm pretty sure it was a lazy, tired looking tackle from Spencer that let the Dundee guy in for the cross for the goal. As much as we need more cutting edge up front we also need to be able to freshen up the centre and to make the midfield more compact - more than once I've wished we could have Brown and a fit Matthews together.

In theory, Coulson going and O'Riordan going should have freed up at least one decent wage. Whether that goes back to Murray or is absorbed in cost cutting is another thing. 

Would gamble on not immediately bringing back Connell. Take a chance on Frederiksen for the battering ram role. We definitely need a win up in Cove to stay out of trouble but if we could do that with Vaughan, Gullan and Frederiksen then perhaps that gives Murray time to find a proper striker. McBride also either needs to be trusted more, or eased out. If Ross is going to be crocked long term or even stop starting and never getting properly fit, then another proper wide option is required and Murray needs to decide if McBride is it or not.

6 minutes ago, JaketheSnake said:

Big John never got a mention in the post match interview even tho he put himself about and almost got an assist at the end. In his 3 minutes he looked better than Connell has in about 3 months. So that probably backs up Murray hating him for some mysterious reason. 

Makes it all the more baffling as to why he was signed in the first place, we've got money to burn right enough just to fill a subs bench

2 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

I don't think Stanton has a 'natural' position in the current system we're using. Not from the start. He's obviously not taking Brown's place and you don't really want him out wide, so he either replaces Spencer or Vaughan. He's not as good a 6 as Spencer is, and not a good a 10 as Vaughan. He's perfect to come off the bench, though, because he can come in for Spencer (or Brown) if you're chasing the game and need more drive, or he can come on for Vaughan and give you a bit more dig in the middle if you're holding on.

That's not to say he shouldn't be starting, I think he's comfortably in our best eleven players, but you'd need to find a different setup to not be crowbarring him in a little currently. 

I'd start Sam ahead of LV. It's almost blasphemy to say but Vaughan hasn't looked sharp enough since he came back so I'd have him as an impact sub instead of Stanton. It's no coincedence Stanton's effectiveness has dropped since the wee man came back into team.

I adore LV but he's not warranting a start at the moment.

1 minute ago, pantene proV said:

I'd start Sam ahead of LV. It's almost blasphemy to say but Vaughan hasn't looked sharp enough since he came back so I'd have him as an impact sub instead of Stanton. It's no coincedence Stanton's effectiveness has dropped since the wee man came back into team.

Been thinking the same after watching the Hamilton and Dundee games. LV has to be an impact sub for the last 10 or 20 mins right now. 

21 minutes ago, JaketheSnake said:

Big John never got a mention in the post match interview even tho he put himself about and almost got an assist at the end. In his 3 minutes he looked better than Connell has in about 3 months. So that probably backs up Murray hating him for some mysterious reason. 

He was on for only 2 minutes so hardly contributed to the game in any significant way. Yes he knocked the ball down for Brown but it didn’t result in a goal so it wasn’t significant sadly. Far more important to the result was the 89 minutes that came before he was put on so that’s obviously what the manager is going to focus on in any post match interview. 

No idea what Murray sees in training but if it’s anything like what we’ve seen so far on the pitch then it’s hardly mysterious that he’s not getting played. He’s been poor and I don’t think a 2 minute cameo last night changes that.

Think there is a real danger of folk turning big John into some sort of messiah figure. He could end up the new Mendy - adored by fans despite the fact he was never really up to standard. Hope he proves me wrong and if he ever does score then it’ll be magnificent.

9 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Thought Vaughan had a good game last night but agree that Stanton is probably more what we need at the moment.