The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Or we could revert back to hybrid 🤷‍♂️ who says we can’t do it again and Murray has worked with that system at Airdrie before and we still have FT players and hopefully keep our better ones and sign some good PT players 

Which would reduce SPP income due to fewer pitch rentals, etc…I know, not vital to us, but of interest to the management.

On a related note, thank you IM:

“We do not want to specifically comment on the details given by the group around the offering of players apart from saying that subject to funding being available the manager makes decisions on who to sign and he decided that the players were at best squad players and would not add any value to the current squad.”

1 hour ago, Dalziel8 said:

I’m really struggling to work this one out. 

Silverbear are an investment group, led by Peter Chun. The club state they have never had any direct dealings with this group. (These guys seem legit)

This Mike Dellios guy seems to be the issue. It would appear that he’s gone to Silverbear for the money needed to buy the club and in return would use it to promote his own players from his agency/academy into Raith.

Im not sure where Gordon Smith comes into things. Who is he actually working for? Silverbear or Dellios?

Just a guess but Gordon smith is well known in Scottish football circles and probably been approached by dellios to bring credibility to his offer, I think silver bear are only involved to provide the funds to dellios and if he was successful in selling his academy players they might get a cut of the profits.

9 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Just a guess but Gordon smith is well known in Scottish football circles and probably been approached by dellios to bring credibility to his offer, I think silver bear are only involved to provide the funds to dellios and if he was successful in selling his academy players they might get a cut of the profits.

And just what does Smith get out of it all,...................... oh aye he'll be the players agent right enough, another fecking charlatan that should be hunted

This losing money or mismanagement of finances is historical

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

The thing is, the losses the club has made are not all equal. We might well be running at an average of £150k a year, but they are through circumstances. 

Our two massive losses recently were a direct result of playing in League One. Our first season down there we lost c£440k, halving the loss to c£200k the following year. I have no idea where we came out in 19/20 without looking again, but that's over £600k in just two seasons in that league. It is an utter cesspit of a league, and truly is the place that full time football goes to die.

These losses were almost certainly a deliberate attempt by the club to get back into the Championship; I am going to be uncharitable here and suggest that absolutely no attempt was made in either of these seasons to get close to a break even, with the club not wanting to place its promotion prospects in jeopardy. On one hand, understandable, on the other totally reckless with regards to the club's long-term future, especially if the losses are not simply written off. We do not go into a new season guaranteed to lose money: we do so because of poor budgeting/bad assumptions and indeed conscious choices made by the club's (non-footballing) management. Forecasts are not easy, but it is well within the realms of possibility to run a budget that will, under a reasonably pessimistic scenario, still come close to breaking even. We have failed to do this in years gone by. 

In recent years, despite all of these things, there have also been more than a few big items of income for the club. These are: 

The supporters raising £100k during covid; 

Selling Bowie to Fulham (£100k);

Selling Tait to Hibs (£100k);

Scottish Government Covid Grant (£500k);

2 x cup ties at Parkhead;

Home tie against Aberdeen, televised on Premier Sports. 

The total of the above is surely over £1m. And of course there are some other items of spending notable too: 

Fee for Ethan Ross, fee for Goodwillie (plus paying off his wage), paying off James Keatings. 

It is reasonable to question why we are in such a terrible position. Ultimately, however, the key thing to the club's survivability is not to be relegated to League fucking One. And if we happen to be, the cloth must be cut accordingly for the club's own sake. 

All valid points but to be fair  our losses or mismanagement of finances are nothing new.We even managed to make a loss season 2015/16 when we were in a league with The Rangers and  Hibs and throw in 2 play off games with Hibs

7 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

All valid points but to be fair  our losses or mismanagement of finances are nothing new.We even managed to make a loss season 2015/16 when we were in a league with The Rangers and  Hibs and throw in 2 play off games with Hibs

And a Scottish Cup tie at home to Hibs.

And a League Cup tie at Parkhead.

13 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

We aren’t very good at players contracts, remember the year we caught tooth and nail with Dunfermline?

we made a loss as the win bonus was so high every time we won it cost us money 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

How did we manage to make such losses with 3 accountants on the board, one of whom was the Supreme Head of a Global Accountancy firm in the Far East and another was a senior man (Director or partner?) in the Deloitte Accountancy firm. Then you got their pal who was the Chancellor of the Treasury..........ah I think I see where this started to unravel. Pity we didn't have a CEO to straighten things out when they weren't going right.........The charlatan employed in the role obviously didn't!

I can't see fan ownership or foreign overlords working, this club needs to be locally joint owned, there are about 20 people in the area who have a £1m or more, we don't need one to pump in £150k a year but if a handful of them could just play nice and be willing to fling in £20k or £30k a season when required it'd be a step in a better direction.

Oblivion beckons?

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

We aren’t very good at players contracts, remember the year we caught tooth and nail with Dunfermline?

we made a loss as the win bonus was so high every time we won it cost us money 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I don't think anyone expected that squad to go on the run it did. In saying that mcglynn and not being very good at contracts seems to be a recurring theme here. 

9 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I don't think anyone expected that squad to go on the run it did. In saying that mcglynn and not being very good at contracts seems to be a recurring theme here. 

His contract dealings would've been sanctioned by the board tbh. He might well sign the players, but the board set his budget. 

Just now, Michael W said:

His contract dealings would've been sanctioned by the board tbh. He might well sign the players, but the board set his budget. 

I'm sure you are right MW, I don't think there's any club where it's not down to the Chairman or his delegate on the board to negotiate the wage and a player's length of contract.

The manager targets a player, if they agree with the choice then the board tell the manager a ballpark figure of what's available,  then  he approaches the target or/and his representative. if initial talks are favourable then fine tuning is done by the player and the money men.  Anything else would mean the manager would be setting the budget and buying who he wanted.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Although the board had to sign off on them, I know mcglynn certainly had full control of the negotiations at, at least one point. 

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

The thing is, the losses the club has made are not all equal. We might well be running at an average of £150k a year, but they are through circumstances. 

Our two massive losses recently were a direct result of playing in League One. Our first season down there we lost c£440k, halving the loss to c£200k the following year. I have no idea where we came out in 19/20 without looking again, but that's over £600k in just two seasons in that league. It is an utter cesspit of a league, and truly is the place that full time football goes to die.

These losses were almost certainly a deliberate attempt by the club to get back into the Championship; I am going to be uncharitable here and suggest that absolutely no attempt was made in either of these seasons to get close to a break even, with the club not wanting to place its promotion prospects in jeopardy. On one hand, understandable, on the other totally reckless with regards to the club's long-term future, especially if the losses are not simply written off. We do not go into a new season guaranteed to lose money: we do so because of poor budgeting/bad assumptions and indeed conscious choices made by the club's (non-footballing) management. Forecasts are not easy, but it is well within the realms of possibility to run a budget that will, under a reasonably pessimistic scenario, still come close to breaking even. We have failed to do this in years gone by. 

In recent years, despite all of these things, there have also been more than a few big items of income for the club. These are: 

The supporters raising £100k during covid; 

Selling Bowie to Fulham (£100k);

Selling Tait to Hibs (£100k);

Scottish Government Covid Grant (£500k);

2 x cup ties at Parkhead;

Home tie against Aberdeen, televised on Premier Sports. 

The total of the above is surely over £1m. And of course there are some other items of spending notable too: 

Fee for Ethan Ross, fee for Goodwillie (plus paying off his wage), paying off James Keatings. 

It is reasonable to question why we are in such a terrible position. Ultimately, however, the key thing to the club's survivability is not to be relegated to League fucking One. And if we happen to be, the cloth must be cut accordingly for the club's own sake. 

Would be well over 1 Million including yours figures above

The premier sports cup we had 3 games on TV which qualified the following payments + prize money not including gate reciepts 250K easy in total 

Livingstone 17K TV money

Aberdeen 27K TV money

celtic 27K   TV money 

quarter final losers  prize money 80K 

30 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Would be well over 1 Million including yours figures above

The premier sports cup we had 3 games on TV which qualified the following payments + prize money not including gate reciepts 250K easy in total 

Livingstone 17K TV money

Aberdeen 27K TV money

celtic 27K   TV money 

quarter final losers  prize money 80K 

Plus £600k prize money for the 4th n 5th place finishes

5 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Interesting news regarding this Mike Dellios shutting his company down labilities of 300k 

Not to mentions Gordon Smith being, in effect, “bankrupt”, but his son is an agent…