The New Raith Rovers Thread

Been trying to put together a top five Raith Rovers moments of the year, and my goodness, it’s slim pickings. 

Regardless, here’s my favourite, or perhaps least worst moments of 2022. 

5 - The Hampara Oompah Band

To celebrate 60 years of being our twin town, Ingolstatdt sent us an Oompah band to perform at Stark’s Park before and during our inevitable loss to Inverness.

So far, so (reasonably) normal. 

However, we ended up with someone who looked like an Indiana Jones enthusiast, snapping his whip over and over towards a confused Alex Penman Stand. 

4 - The Hong Kong Interest 

A late entrant, but one I’m excited to see unfold in 2023. The club being linked to an Asian investment company is unusual enough, but imagine my surprise to see them in turn linked with a Swiss agent, whose website looks like an elaborate hoax to get his poorly performing son a professional contract. 

3 - John Frederiksen’s First Touch

We were desperate for a new forward, and hoped the Faroese giant would complete our side, so the protracted transfer was frustrating as hell! 

As a consequence, he was roared onto the park against Cove Rangers like a hero as we defended a free kick. 

Disconcertingly, his first touch looped over Jamie MacDonald and just went over the bar, as hundreds of people burst into laughter at the ridiculousness of him almost scoring an own goal. 

I’ve felt a bit sorry for Big John not getting a game, but he’s been watching the Northern Lights with his girlfriend this week, while I compile this list, so who’s the real winner? 

2 - The Matej Poplatnik Final 

This was just a good day all round. Train pints, Glasgow pints and Airdrie pints, then seeing Lewis Vaughan’s name on the team sheet, only to discover it was to give him a chance to lift silverware, which was a really nice touch. 

As an added bonus, fair play to the SPFL Trust for arranging a circus theme foe the entertainment, which at one point had a grown adult running around with some streamers. Mortifying. 

1 - Lewis Vaughan’s Return 

Genuine lump in throat moment when he came on versus Partick Thistle recently, and I just hope he can enjoy his football injury free from here on in. 

Anyway, here’s to 2023, which hopefully has more highlights like wins and stuff. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Perhaps good news, O’Riordan not starting or on the bench versus Tranmere on the initial lineup. Suggests that Crewe are short, but not that thin and me might still get him back.

We don't know how bad the head injury was v Morton - only 9 days ago.

i know it is slightly off topic, but sweet caroline was playing last night and i was reminded about raith players singing sweet caroline, buckfast wine. I’m sure it was someone like calderon on tam cowans offside, but I can’t seem to find anything about it. 

13 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

i know it is slightly off topic, but sweet caroline was playing last night and i was reminded about raith players singing sweet caroline, buckfast wine. I’m sure it was someone like calderon on tam cowans offside, but I can’t seem to find anything about it. 

Be honest, you where on the Buckie last night eh?