The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Ah, the old joke 'there's a reason they built a by-pass'

I stayed there long enough, I'm not sure it is a joke. 

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Judging by the booing of Rovers players, so is SP.

Most definitely. I don't tend to be one for booing or generally speaking to people when I can help it. I actually miss the auld guy that sat next to me pre covid. He wasn't in good health at that time and I'm guessing he has moved on. Sat next to him for years but still never exchanged names. Zen might know him actually, I think he was from Inverkeithing way. 

I think the default decision will be to stay at Starks, due to lack of any work or vision from the club to cost assess relocation to another site. 

I can think of very few positives for Starks Park other than it is our traditional home. 

It doesn't have an atmosphere, even when full. There is pretty much no spectator facility at the side of the pitch, where most folk would want to view football. Corporate facilities are terrible. It's not a great place to watch football. Even walking to it on a match day with Pratt Street always open isn't an enjoyable experience these days. 

The forthcoming £500k bill for maintenance is just to keep it safe. The tip of the iceberg. This is only likely to increase and become more frequent as the big old stands age. At some point in the medium term, major structural work is going to be required which will not be too dissimilar to the costs of a more modest new facility, wherever that could be. 

My view is the costs of staying at Starks will far outweigh the costs of moving. The Nairns site may or may not be suitable, but Kirkcaldy has plenty spaces where a new ground could be built with facilities in addition to hosting 18 football games a year to generate income. 

I just look at the whole thing as a marketing disaster. Surely if Sim wanted to sell up then he’d try and promote things a little better in the press. Complaining about funds not being allocated throughout the game, losses every year etc etc isn’t a great way to entice a buyer. Why not focus on the fact we gained promotion, won a cup, finished in the playoffs and have a fan base who regularly help the club out?

48 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I just look at the whole thing as a marketing disaster. Surely if Sim wanted to sell up then he’d try and promote things a little better in the press. Complaining about funds not being allocated throughout the game, losses every year etc etc isn’t a great way to entice a buyer. Why not focus on the fact we gained promotion, won a cup, finished in the playoffs and have a fan base who regularly help the club out?

The communication from the club is beyond shit. There was a period post Drysdale where the club was getting it right. Open, honest and on the face of recognising and appreciating the input of fans. Post Goodwillie it’s been an absolute shit show. Hiding, then Sim’s ‘f**k you all, I was right’ interview with the Courier. Now this incoherent nonsense. I think they’ve just given up trying tbh. The sooner Sim, MacDonald (and Morgan) have nothing to do with our club the better.

29 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

The communication from the club is beyond shit. There was a period post Drysdale where the club was getting it right. Open, honest and on the face of recognising and appreciating the input of fans. Post Goodwillie it’s been an absolute shit show. Hiding, then Sim’s ‘f**k you all, I was right’ interview with the Courier. Now this incoherent nonsense. I think they’ve just given up trying tbh. The sooner Sim, MacDonald (and Morgan) have nothing to do with our club the better.

There are only so many times things can be passed off as communication issues before it becomes clear that it isn't a comms issue and the club is just, in fact, governed by clowns. 

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

I think the default decision will be to stay at Starks, due to lack of any work or vision from the club to cost assess relocation to another site. 

I can think of very few positives for Starks Park other than it is our traditional home. 

It doesn't have an atmosphere, even when full. There is pretty much no spectator facility at the side of the pitch, where most folk would want to view football. Corporate facilities are terrible. It's not a great place to watch football. Even walking to it on a match day with Pratt Street always open isn't an enjoyable experience these days. 

The forthcoming £500k bill for maintenance is just to keep it safe. The tip of the iceberg. This is only likely to increase and become more frequent as the big old stands age. At some point in the medium term, major structural work is going to be required which will not be too dissimilar to the costs of a more modest new facility, wherever that could be. 

My view is the costs of staying at Starks will far outweigh the costs of moving. The Nairns site may or may not be suitable, but Kirkcaldy has plenty spaces where a new ground could be built with facilities in addition to hosting 18 football games a year to generate income. 

Where are these "plenty spaces" for a stadium and facilities?

3 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Unless I'm missing something, Raith no longer own Starks' Park so what exactly is going to fund this new stadium? If you demolish your ground and flog it for property*, the proceeds would not automatically go towards building a new purpose-built stadium. 

*in a market with significant short-term turbulence 

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

Unless I'm missing something, Raith no longer own Starks' Park so what exactly is going to fund this new stadium? If you demolish your ground and flog it for property*, the proceeds would not automatically go towards building a new purpose-built stadium. 

The stadium is owned by Sim so, yes, there is no guarantee he would use this as a way of fundraising for a new stadium. I don't think anyone knows his intentions there. 

The club are facing a significant financial stadium investment in the next 10 to 15 years whether they remain at Starks, build a new stadium or go homeless. In any of these scenarios it is not clear what will fund it.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The point was that exactly, we’d need a Sugar Daddy/Mamma owner to come in and build it for us. There was no suggestion any money that might accrue from a sale of SP would be poured into the club.

6 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Aye miles away from the town centre, train station or any pubs. 

That’s the point. For a major sport/team, perhaps that would be acceptable…for a Scottish football team in League One/Championship form, you want that connection.