The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 months ago we went top of the league then in January our world collapsed ( self inflicted) since then I just can’t get the enthusiasm anymore, no season ticket bought for first time in years and will probably watch the World Cup on Saturday instead, hopefully we do some business in January, no idea why Murray signed big  John , he obviously doesn’t rate him and as others have said a waste of a wage a bit like Mcbride .As for the future it is a worry, will sim leave it to the Raith trust? 

Fairly certain Caley were top of the league this point last season. I don’t think Raith were ever really challenging apart from a spell right at the start of the season.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Fairly certain Caley were top of the league this point last season. I don’t think Raith were ever really challenging apart from a spell right at the start of the season.

Nah, we were well in it after beating Killie at Starks on the 11th. Was basically the week later the wheels started to come off. 

Point is 2022 has definitely been memorable for all the wrong reasons, do others think 🤔 things will improve in 2023 or as I fear stagnate under Murray abit  like under his namesake grant and we have pretty forgettable seasons hovering just above relegation? Yeah we beat rangers twice in that period but it was a version of rangers. Just curious on other’s opinions, I’m not a huge fan of Murray and some of his decisions around the squad but I do t think getting rid is the answer either

57 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Point is 2022 has definitely been memorable for all the wrong reasons, do others think 🤔 things will improve in 2023 or as I fear stagnate under Murray abit  like under his namesake grant and we have pretty forgettable seasons hovering just above relegation? Yeah we beat rangers twice in that period but it was a version of rangers. Just curious on other’s opinions, I’m not a huge fan of Murray and some of his decisions around the squad but I do t think getting rid is the answer either

If we finish even 7th or 8th this season I think Sim will sack him. 

Had to laugh also at the brass neck of Murray posing with the challenge cup as if he actually had anything to do with us winning it. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

29 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Had to laugh also at the brass neck of Murray posing with the challenge cup as if he actually had anything to do with us winning it. 

You think? I doubt it.

16 minutes ago, renton said:

You think? I doubt it.

If it's true that Sim was going to punt McGlynn until we won the challenge cup I don't see why not. 

Coming trailing in miles behind the likes of Ayr and Morton is absolutely dire stuff and I'm not convinced Sim will tolerate it. 

13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If it's true that Sim was going to punt McGlynn until we won the challenge cup I don't see why not. 

Coming trailing in miles behind the likes of Ayr and Morton is absolutely dire stuff and I'm not convinced Sim will tolerate it. 

Given the financial mire last season dumped us in, I hardly expect Sim to countenance the idea of sacking a manager on a two year deal after one year, just when the financials are supposedly looking a bit better. Sim has not shown a tendency toward knee-jerk actions.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Sorry, should we have got Mcglynn back to pose with it, just as a memorial? 

I’m not entirely sure it’s “dire stuff” when the likelihood is that both Imrie and Bullen will have been backed better than Murray imo. Both are also in the job six months longer than Murray is at Raith.

That’s not a slight on Murray being poorly backed but it’s maybe the reality of the club right now. Made a very poor financial decision in January which will have had a knock on effect. In addition it looked like Murray was struggling to get players in until the last minute. I think 7th is the reality for Raith this season but I also think a lot of fans had you down as mid table at the start of the season as well. It’s not a huge surprise and it’s certainly not disastrous.

13 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Sorry, should we have got Mcglynn back to pose with it, just as a memorial? 

We could've just used anyone from last season who's still at the club. 

I suppose it was the only time Murray saw a trophy lifted at Airdrie while he was there right enough so maybe he will have some attachment to it. 

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not entirely sure it’s “dire stuff” when the likelihood is that both Imrie and Bullen will have been backed better than Murray imo. Both are also in the job six months longer than Murray is at Raith.

That’s not a slight on Murray being poorly backed but it’s maybe the reality of the club right now. Made a very poor financial decision in January which will have had a knock on effect. In addition it looked like Murray was struggling to get players in until the last minute. I think 7th is the reality for Raith this season but I also think a lot of fans had you down as mid table at the start of the season as well. It’s not a huge surprise and it’s certainly not disastrous.

This tbh.  Out of the teams above us, I would have guessed that we would be closest to Ayr and Morton in terms of budget.  As you say, both clubs had their managers in part way through last season, and had probably started their business whilst we were wondering if Mcglynn was going to stay on or not.  

Murray did struggle to get players in, can't have been helped by Berra deciding to give up football the week of the start of the season.  Probably lead to at least 1 additional defender coming in than planned. 

Don't get me wrong, the teams below us are not good.  It's already quite concerning that we've lost more games than 2 of them.  However, finish above them at the very worst, and see what he can do next season.

It's likely to be a boring season, but given some of the likely budgets in this league, and our own reckless spending last season, I don't see 7th as a wild shout.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If you let Murray spend the fortune Mcglynn spent last season, then I'd agree.  Mcglynn should have been sacked after that Ayr game in March, in hindsight.

But it looks like Murray will spend far less and still achieve a mid table finish.  

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

This tbh.  Out of the teams above us, I would have guessed that we would be closest to Ayr and Morton in terms of budget.  As you say, both clubs had their managers in part way through last season, and had probably started their business whilst we were wondering if Mcglynn was going to stay on or not.  

Murray did struggle to get players in, can't have been helped by Berra deciding to give up football the week of the start of the season.  Probably lead to at least 1 additional defender coming in than planned. 

Don't get me wrong, the teams below us are not good.  It's already quite concerning that we've lost more games than 2 of them.  However, finish above them at the very worst, and see what he can do next season.

It's likely to be a boring season, but given some of the likely budgets in this league, and our own reckless spending last season, I don't see 7th as a wild shout.

I definitely don’t see us finishing below accies but at the moment cove/Arbroath getting wee results here and there and we aren’t, hopefully that changes soon. I just find Murray gave it all the big talk about only  signing players to improve us then signed some jobbers like Mcbride and connell and probably big John falls into that as well. He has already said in papers he is trying to extend loans players deals so Ngwenya /O’riordan’s plus connell ( who is out of contract in Jan at Killie , 18 month deal incoming I bet  🤦🏻‍♂️) yeah could be worse and have lan Munro , Jimmy Thomson or Gary Locke in charge but cba with the rovers the now, roll on the new year

Not at all convinced by Murray, but he deserves the whole season to see what he can do. Unfortunately he’s inherited a club still recovering from the DG signing. You just have to look at the gaps in the advertising hoardings around the pitch to understand how we’ve been affected commercially. The legacy of DG will be around for a while whilst Sims in charge and one of the guys who made the decision is our chairman. 

5 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

You just have to look at the gaps in the advertising hoardings around the pitch to understand how we’ve been affected commercially.

This has been admitted by the club as a ball dropped from before the DG fiasco.

Advertisers were not pursued for renewal and had been getting free advertising, this going back more than a season.

That said, there wasn't a rush/effort to fill the spaces.