The New Raith Rovers Thread

11 hours ago, renton said:

He's trying to prove he's still that player, rather than let it come naturally.

9 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Cheers just got to give him time, I felt he tried too hard last week to make something happen 

He's definitely trying to force it. Once he gets that first goal he'll hopefully relax a bit. 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s likely a two to four month recovery, if correct. Terrible news, and causes concern about full recovery.

Based on having no idea whatsoever of what type of surgery he requires🙄 FFS  do you do Chrystal balls too ?

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s likely a two to four month recovery, if correct. Terrible news, and causes concern about full recovery.

Its a recurrance of the previous foot injury and 6 weeks rehab was mentioned by the man himself. I expect thats the ideal scenario after the op in early December. I don't see any reason why there would be any concerns. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He's definitely trying to force it. Once he gets that first goal he'll hopefully relax a bit. 

It felt that way to me too. Just wanted to score that perfect goal, especially in the second half where he was taking more touches than needed.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

3 hours ago, spot on said:

Based on having no idea whatsoever of what type of surgery he requires🙄 FFS  do you do Chrystal balls too ?

As mentioned…

3 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Its a recurrance of the previous foot injury…

…so my crystal ball remains unused. The last time I saw Chrystal was on a pole…

Me and the laddie done a score prediction pre-match, I went for 4-0 and I wasn't far off. Felt it looked pretty evident throughout the game that Talbot were every bit a junior team, they were poor. Some of our fans need to take a look at themselves though, booing the team off the pitch at half time was a really shitey thing to do. Typical Rovers fans though. The game panned out exactly how I expected in that it was going to require a patient performance and in the end I don't think you could begrudge us the win. Into the next round which is the main thing. 

13 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Me and the laddie done a score prediction pre-match, I went for 4-0 and I wasn't far off. Felt it looked pretty evident throughout the game that Talbot were every bit a junior team, they were poor. Some of our fans need to take a look at themselves though, booing the team off the pitch at half time was a really shitey thing to do. Typical Rovers fans though. The game panned out exactly how I expected in that it was going to require a patient performance and in the end I don't think you could begrudge us the win. Into the next round which is the main thing. 

The folk booing us off at half time were playing exactly into Talbot's hands. They had no intention of playing any football: it was clear they were simply after corners,  free kicks and praying that Scott Brown got a second booking (incidentally, he put in a brilliant shift second half). They were an absolute gang of a team, and I'm delighted we're past them.

59 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Agreed, a thoroughly professional performance against a well drilled, but ultimately poor quality, team there to defend for 90 minutes. I thought the tempo of our passing was really high throughout and ultimately tired Talbot out meaning gaps came available in the last 30 minutes. 

Also, other than one heavy touch in the first half from O'Riordan, the defence totally snuffed out any threat. Talbot could still be playing now and not have scored.

There was nothing for Rovers fans to boo in that performance. 

On 26/11/2022 at 19:50, renton said:

Money spinner and out if it comes to it. We aren't going to do much or anything in the league (barring avoiding relegation, hopefully) or the cup so take the money and run and think about the longer term picture.

Surely you boys still have aspirations of top 4? Any of the top 7 can still finish both in and out of the top 4 for me depending on form and what business clubs can do in Jan.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Surely you boys still have aspirations of top 4? Any of the top 7 can still finish both in and out of the top 4 for me depending on form and what business clubs can do in Jan.

It’s clear, from our toothless nature, that this is more of a retrenching year. Mid-table is just fine, it’s doubtful the Board has any money they are willing to part with, and the playoffs would simply be more injury risks. No, it’s not fun or sexy to finish 5th to 7th, and a higher finish would generate useful cash flow, but I think the die is cast for this year…and with Little John looking like a miss, our business is likely done IF we can keep O’Riordan and Ngwenya until May.

If O’Riordan is, as feared, recalled, we likely need another CB, although Lang’s return eases that concern a bit…if he can perform. A midfielder is a possible signing, but I don’t expect any money to be thrown at forward unless Connell is replaced rather than reupped until May.

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s clear, from our toothless nature, that this is more of a retrenching year. Mid-table is just fine, it’s doubtful the Board has any money they are willing to part with, and the playoffs would simply be more injury risks. No, it’s not fun or sexy to finish 5th to 7th, and a higher finish would generate useful cash flow, but I think the die is cast for this year…and with Little John looking like a miss, our business is likely done IF we can keep O’Riordan and Ngwenya until May.

If O’Riordan is, as feared, recalled, we likely need another CB, although Lang’s return eases that concern a bit…if he can perform. A midfielder is a possible signing, but I don’t expect any money to be thrown at forward unless Connell is replaced rather than reupped until May.

A midfielder is the last thing this team needs. If there is any money or deals it has to be for a striker. Vaughan is not a number 9 but then again neither is Connell although he probably thinks he is.  If Frederickson can't get a start against a junior side then Murray obviously sees nothing in him. Gullan very injury prone and again I'm not convinced he is an out and out striker. 

3 hours ago, madton said:

I certainly do.

I think the entire top 7 as it stands should have top 4 aspirations at this stage. Given our transition this year and the much-reduced budget I will be still quite happy if we finish a comfortable 7th however, I don't think there is much between the top 6 or 7 teams in this league and we have as much a chance as any of being in the play-off mix at the right end..

I don't anticipate much business for us in January but if we retain our loan signings and Vaughan, Gullan, Frederikson and Lang can get match sharp for the run in then that will be like 3 or 4 new signings in the area of the pitch we have struggled most in.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

A midfielder is the last thing this team needs.

Really? Why do you say that...Matthews is out for 2 to 4 months, who is out midfield cover if Brown, Easton, Spencer or Stanton get injured? Ross certainly can't play those roles effectively, neither can Connolly (God knows we need him attacking), Coulson, Vaughan or anyone else.

Really? Why do you say that...Matthews is out for 2 to 4 months, who is out midfield cover if Brown, Easton, Spencer or Stanton get injured? Ross certainly can't play those roles effectively, neither can Connolly (God knows we need him attacking), Coulson, Vaughan or anyone else.
Vaughan can play cm, he did it under Smith and was fine there. It does mean you lose him from where he is most effective but if needs must then he can play deeper.

14 minutes ago, grumswall said:
49 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Vaughan can play cm, he did it under Smith and was fine there. It does mean you lose him from where he is most effective but if needs must then he can play deeper.

Except we seem to be banking on him as our forward. I know it’s possible, but less than optimal.

14 minutes ago, grumswall said:
49 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Except we seem to be banking on him as our forward. I know it’s possible, but less than optimal.

4 hours ago, madton said:

Nah, while we are a neat enough team on the ball, and arguably less open to getting sliced apart (QP game aside) than under McGlynn last season, we are still pretty blunt up front, and while Murray's negative game management (I.e. seeing out a win) is definitely an improvement over last year his ability to change a game when it goes against us has been fairly poor. 

Some of those issues might fix themselves if Gullan and Vuaghan can both get match fit and stay that way but I certainly won't be banking on it. Would bit your hand off for 7th right now to be honest.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Stanton is playing as a 10, so he could drop deeper to cover Brown and Spencer if needed. If Stanton was out we have Vaughan, Easton and Ross who can all play that role. 

We also have the option of bringing back Arnott from his loan.