The New Raith Rovers Thread

I really hope Murray has identified the need for experience in the January window. This slow approach isn’t working. Berra leaving was out of the blue so he could be forgiven for that. I know we need to blood new players. They won’t learn unless that have that experience beside them. Connolly has to be the first to sign on the dotted line, or we’re in a world of hurt if he goes. Not that he’s leaving or heard others are in for him. We’re also struggling with a lack of ruthlessness up front, I’d also hope the gaffer has that in mind. But hey we all know that. 

9 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Given the standard of 80% of teams in that league, that is quite concerning.  

There was also another arrival that’s resulted in displacing him. Seems he maybe isn’t physical enough for Highland League, per some comments.

I'd be incredibly surprised if we bring in experienced players in January. 

That's not to say we don't require it, but lets face it, Ian Murray is very much grubbing around in terms of signings, when you compare to what John McGlynn was doing, and to a degree, lumbering us with. 

If we're bringing in teenagers on loan, and players who have barely played any senior games in their career during the summer, then I sincerely doubt we have a bit of money to spare, which can then be spent in January. 

I also think that's why Frankie Musonda and Kyle Benedictus left, ultimately, but who knows? 

McGuigan, but , but ,but our glorious former Chairman stated categorically we were better off this season and that the fiasco was being paid out his own pocket. Are you trying to say he is lying. I stated at the start of the season he couldn't be trusted. All talk just to get season ticket sales.

2 hours ago, foreverarover said:

McGuigan, but , but ,but our glorious former Chairman stated categorically we were better off this season and that the fiasco was being paid out his own pocket. Are you trying to say he is lying. I stated at the start of the season he couldn't be trusted. All talk just to get season ticket sales.

Correct, Yes, Correct, Yes. The club is still in a dark place right now, and despite some promising looking appointments and mooted developments, we don’t really seem to be getting anywhere fast in terms of digging out. Sims is a liability, BUT he is also the lifeline. We simply live financially as he dictates until and unless someone/something else steps up and stumps up, Sims is the piper playing the tune…and we must dance (or chose one of the other teams to support).

Edited by TxRover

17 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

You could take the Goodwillie situation out thr equation,  and still find situations where Mcglynns spending is likely working against us this season. 

Quite. James Keatings for one. 

Also those built in increases that we heard about. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Mostly this, even with the DG wages money removed, we've got less to play with because we burned through a lot of cash bringing in players last season. The transfer fee for DG would have come from the club, prior to that arrangement being adjusted. While it wasn't a huge amount, the supporters fund has dropped considerably.

Also factor in the reduction of attendance due to the teams in the league, we lost the Pars and Kilmarnock and replaced them with QP, Dundee and Cove. Our own attendances aren't doing us any financial favours either sadly, for various understandable reasons. 

49 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

You could take the Goodwillie situation out thr equation,  and still find situations where Mcglynns spending is likely working against us this season. 

31 minutes ago, Michael W said:

19 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Mostly this, even with the DG wages money removed, we've got less to play with because we burned through a lot of cash bringing in players last season. The transfer fee for DG would have come from the club, prior to that arrangement being adjusted. While it wasn't a huge amount, the supporters fund has dropped considerably.

Also factor in the reduction of attendance due to the teams in the league, we lost the Pars and Kilmarnock and replaced them with QP, Dundee and Cove. Our own attendances aren't doing us any financial favours either sadly, for various understandable reasons. 

This simply emphasizes what I said…Sims is a liability, BUT he is also the lifeline. We simply live financially as he dictates…

It is increasingly clear that for much of Scottish football, it is no longer truly financially viable, and hasn’t been for some time. To a certain extent, football has become a vanity project, with an “investor” who supports a team well able to drag a team up a coupe of levels (or more) on cash alone. The whole concept of a Community Club is noble and all, but seems pretty dead these days due to an inherent inability to sustain financial losses I fear that the Rovers may face a slow fall after Sims, as the club itself has little, if any, assets outwith Sims largesse. The slow decline of attendance numbers for most clubs across the game is indicative of a need to evolve to survive, but how will that happen. Hopefully it isn’t a move to a few mega-teams.

36 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Absolutely. I know it's covering old ground for the hundredth time, but it is absolutely infuriating the complete and utter mess of things we made last season from a financial perspective. A televised cup game against Aberdeen, two ties away to Celtic in the cup, and the sale of a player for £110k. Yet, we have thrown a huge chunk of it away. 

Now is an absolutely crap time to be running a football club that lives hand to mouth. The previous year's income, were it not so spectacularly wasted, would've been a nice buffer. 

Good to see the club put out a wee bit on social media about the mental health awareness training that they've done. I've been guilty of slaughtering players in the past online. It's all well and good having a bit of criticism but it's quite easy for that to descend into an absolute shitshow, especially with social media. 

On 24/11/2022 at 19:44, McGuigan1978 said:

I also think that's why Frankie Musonda and Kyle Benedictus left, ultimately, but who knows? 

Aye, I was a bit confused earlier in the season when you had your shortage of defenders to see a load of post asking why Murray had "let Musonda leave." It's seems extremely likely that he left because Ayr are paying considerably more in wages than Raith are and offered him a deal Raith couldn't afford to match.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, I was a bit confused earlier in the season when you had your shortage of defenders to see a load of post asking why Murray had "let Musonda leave." It's seems extremely likely that he left because Ayr are paying considerably more in wages than Raith are and offered him a deal Raith couldn't afford to match.

I thought it was more to do with the fact Ayr offered him a two year deal. I liked Musonda as a player, but given his injury record during his time with us, I can understand the club's reluctance.

How are the Rovers faithful feeling about today's game against Talbot. There's not been much talk about the cup game on this forum, is there not much interest in Kirkcaldy in facing a junior team from Ayrshire, or the fans expecting an easy afternoon with plenty goals for the home team. Will Raith fans turn out in usual numbers as I'm sure a large contingent of Auchinleck faithful are on their way to Fife.

3 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

How are the Rovers faithful feeling about today's game against Talbot. There's not been much talk about the cup game on this forum, is there not much interest in Kirkcaldy in facing a junior team from Ayrshire, or the fans expecting an easy afternoon with plenty goals for the home team. Will Raith fans turn out in usual numbers as I'm sure a large contingent of Auchinleck faithful are on their way to Fife.

Just bought my tickets online. Looking forward to seeing the game. We had been on fire at home, scoring 3 goals a game, good goals too, and had won four home games on the bounce. Then Queens Park rocked up and gubbed us. Who knows how this one will go.

17 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Little bit on the Domestic Cup forum…not much here. Expect decent turnout, not stunning. Hard to discuss a team you know so little about., but happy to see Tom Lang return, and hopefully play a few minutes.

32 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

No we're just generally miserable b*****ds.