The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Regarding McNulty, there has to be a damn good reason hes still out of contract, given Arbroath, and a few others are crying out for a striker and we signed The Helicopter over him so something must be wrong with him  

I think the fact he’ll want about £5k a week will be a stumbling block for every club in the division. Folk claiming we should get rid of Connell and bring him need to come along and join us in the real world. Has it not occurred to anyone that Connell is in all likelihood not being paid very much by us? That switch alone would probably cost the club an extra £15k+ a month. Not in any way, shape or form a realistic option. 

I’ve not read anything other than the posts on this page about the game, nor the other thread, but it’s the same knee jerk stuff after a defeat, although this obviously wasn’t ideal. Up until the game on Saturday, I think we had the joint best defensive record in the league. You don’t get to that after a third of the season whilst “needing an experienced head”. We were very clearly doing something right. We had a bad game. Move on, keep doing what we were doing prior to that - not losing very many goals. 

26 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think the fact he’ll want about £5k a week will be a stumbling block for every club in the division. Folk claiming we should get rid of Connell and bring him need to come along and join us in the real world. Has it not occurred to anyone that Connell is in all likelihood not being paid very much by us? That switch alone would probably cost the club an extra £15k+ a month. Not in any way, shape or form a realistic option. 

I’ve not read anything other than the posts on this page about the game, nor the other thread, but it’s the same knee jerk stuff after a defeat, although this obviously wasn’t ideal. Up until the game on Saturday, I think we had the joint best defensive record in the league. You don’t get to that after a third of the season whilst “needing an experienced head”. We were very clearly doing something right. We had a bad game. Move on, keep doing what we were doing prior to that - not losing very many goals. 

I doubt McNulty was in anything near 5k a week at Utd. Also he's apparently been training with Arbroath, not sure for fitness or with a view to signing him.

He will have been on a very decent wage at Reading, and each of his loan clubs will have been paying a chunk of that to take him. He’s been on loan five times since 2019 and scored 15 goals in 80 games since. That’s not exactly scintillating form. He didn’t look very good for Dundee Utd. He’s not the silver bullet some seem to think he is. I think he’d do alright, but he isn’t a realistic target. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Fully agree with this btw. 

We were top of the form table before the game against Dundee. It's the tightest league in years but some folk are absolutely desperate to get into the hysterics.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This all day long

A week or so ago some were screaming for getting IM and some players on extended contracts asap.

Footballs about small margins and Saturdays a game we could well have won if we had taken our chances at crucial times

No prizes given out in November

1 hour ago, Rovers_Lad said:

This all day long

A week or so ago some were screaming for getting IM and some players on extended contracts asap.

Footballs about small margins and Saturdays a game we could well have won if we had taken our chances at crucial times

No prizes given out in November

Still screaming to extend some players…still happy to watch IM’s work on his 2 year deal…

Saturday 2nd half was so bad it felt like McGrymm was in the dug out again.

First time I have left at 70 minutes!  Utterly woeful.  Hopefully we use it as a catalyst to sort out the cracks that are merely papered over.  January Murrays urgency is getting in a striker.  Gullan is not cutting it.  Vaughan is far from match sharpness.  The big Faroese lad is awful.  Connell flatters to deceive and I canny even remember the other lads name......

15 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Has the Faeroes guy left?. On Instagram returning home. Surely if there was a, game for him it's Saturday?

He hasn't returned home. Looks like he had friends/family over to visit and they are heading home.

12 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Saturday 2nd half was so bad it felt like McGrymm was in the dug out again.

First time I have left at 70 minutes!  Utterly woeful.  Hopefully we use it as a catalyst to sort out the cracks that are merely papered over.  January Murrays urgency is getting in a striker.  Gullan is not cutting it.  Vaughan is far from match sharpness.  The big Faroese lad is awful.  Connell flatters to deceive and I canny even remember the other lads name......

Honestly, Gullan we have barely seen because of the hammy, Vaughan is working up to fitness, Little John is impossible to honestly evaluate because of lack of time, Connell actually does a lot of hard work and helps us, McBride is like Little John in that we don’t/can’t know.

Brechin fan reporting they expect Arnott’s loan will probably end in January. He hasn’t won a starting role for the last several weeks and is only getting on for the last 10-15 minutes most weeks. Seems he isn’t performing up there.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Brechin fan reporting they expect Arnott’s loan will probably end in January. He hasn’t won a starting role for the last several weeks and is only getting on for the last 10-15 minutes most weeks. Seems he isn’t performing up there.

It's perhaps one of the drawbacks of the players training with us all week and then going to their loan clubs for games. Similar to Young at Elgin, he isn't there to be able to bed into what the manager wants through the week. Can't be easy to just turn up for games and get in ahead of players who've trained with the club all week

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Given the standard of 80% of teams in that league, that is quite concerning.  

To be honest Arnott is probably wasted playing at that level with the ball flying over his head again and again…

39 minutes ago, Enigma said:

To be honest Arnott is probably wasted playing at that level with the ball flying over his head again and again…

I’d be of the opposite opinion. Brechin are a team who like to get the ball down and play. Some of the opposition might be ‘hammer throwers’ but he’s then getting the best of both worlds. His team who play football and opponents who play long. That’s a good way to develop being exposed to both.