The New Raith Rovers Thread

He has to trust his wall to be able to cover that side, if he gets it up and over and target then it is often a case of saying well done, too good. If he does as suggested and takes another step to his right Murray may well have put it in MacDonalds LHS and then he is definitely as fault as that is his side.

Agreed. The wall is set there to cover that side. It wasn't top corner but it was still a good strike. No point in pretending otherwise.

4 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

He has to trust his wall to be able to cover that side, if he gets it up and over and target then it is often a case of saying well done, too good. If he does as suggested and takes another step to his right Murray may well have put it in MacDonalds LHS and then he is definitely as fault as that is his side.

We're almost in agreement, but one step to his right may have been enough.

Anyhoo, we were pish. 

I'm sorry, but there's no way on earth we should just be accepting goals from free kicks if they clear the wall.  Getting a football up and over the wall, especially with referees enforcing the 10 yards more etc, is not achievement worthy of shrugging shoulders and thinking "ah well".  Virtually everyone around me today noted the gap McDonald left and knew exactly where that ball was going.  

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'm sorry, but there's no way on earth we should just be accepting goals from free kicks if they clear the wall.  Getting a football up and over the wall, especially with referees enforcing the 10 yards more etc, is not achievement worthy of shrugging shoulders and thinking "ah well".  Virtually everyone around me today noted the gap McDonald left and knew exactly where that ball was going.  

Yep it looked clear from the set up that it was an open invitation for a right footed free kick. It was like a flashback to the season a few years back where we seemed to concede a goal from a free kick every other week. Think it was possibly the Locke/Hughes season. 

We shouldn't be accepting many things that happened today. It was a good strike regardless

5 minutes ago, grumswall said:
16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We shouldn't be accepting many things that happened today. It was a good strike regardless

Oh, it was a peach.  But even a half decent attempt ends up as a goal there.

Oh, it was a peach.  But even a half decent attempt ends up as a goal there.
As I said previously at the time I didn't notice poor positioning etc so just thought it was a good strike.

It just popped in my mind. At 1-0 Vaughan gets the break of the ball, cuts it back and stanton is ready to make it 2 but Ross ignores/ doesn't hear a shout and takes an awkward touch. That chance is taken and its a different game.

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Can't recall but unless Murray changes his approach I doubt it will be the last time it happens this season. 

Unpopular opinion here but I agree with what Murray did today. When we lost the third he threw two strikers on right away to try and rescue the game. We had 20 shots and 13 on target. He tried to get us back into it. 

Also, only a couple of weeks ago we were all raving about the new look back 4. We can’t all of a sudden complain that Murray is clueless when we were praising him a fortnight ago.

Today was a freak result. I don’t think it’s any more than that.

7 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What's going on at the front of the main stand? Saw it had had a big cutting taken out at the bottom of the hill.

I have heard that some Gabions retaining parts of the stadium have heaved and require replacement.

Regrettably, the frontage contained the ashes of passed fans, which were removed in the current works.

Hopefully a statement is following with regards to this occurrence.

1 hour ago, Dalziel8 said:

Unpopular opinion here but I agree with what Murray did today. When we lost the third he threw two strikers on right away to try and rescue the game. We had 20 shots and 13 on target. He tried to get us back into it. 

Also, only a couple of weeks ago we were all raving about the new look back 4. We can’t all of a sudden complain that Murray is clueless when we were praising him a fortnight ago.

If it was an isolated occurrence I might agree but not once this season have we gotten even a draw after falling behind. This is not a one off. If Murray continues this approach other teams will pick us off and do the same to us. I'm actually embarrassed for Murray that he's been in management this long and hasn't managed to develop any reasonable, balanced strategy to react to falling behind in a game . 

I suppose the main thing is we look like we have enough about us to finish no worse than 8th though, so our main objective of safety should be met. Whether that's enough to justify another season of Murray, is another matter for another day. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

1 hour ago, Dalziel8 said:

His go to when we’re losing is to sub on forwards. Has it ever worked?

If it was an isolated occurrence I might agree but not once this season have we gotten even a draw after falling behind. This is not a one off. If Murray continues this approach other teams will pick us off and do the same to us. I'm actually embarrassed for Murray that he's been in management this long and hasn't managed to develop any reasonable, balanced strategy to eat to falling behind in a game . 
I suppose the main thing is we look like we have enough about us to finish no worse than 8th though, so our main objective of safety should be met. Whether that's enough to justify another season of Murray, is another matter for another day. 
What joy do you get from trolling rovers fans after we've lost a game? Absolute weirdo.