The New Raith Rovers Thread

45 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Connoll Connell played well but as a striker he has a lot of convincing to do. Notice his penalty was blasted down the middle, exactly what he's done with nearly every chance he's had. It's a good job the goalie dived out the way.

Wasn't a bad penalty at all, kept it low, hit it hard and given the keeper no chance unless he doesn't move, which is usually unlikely. 

The good thing is that the way we play, the striker is not the main goalscoring focus, we're playing with 3 behind the striker who are all expected to get in and score goals and Connell yesterday at least, did the role he was asked to, occupy the defenders and create spaces. I'd love him to add a few more goals to his game as well of course.

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Was mickey at the game yesterday? Can't say I noticed him. If not, anyone know why?

I believe he had some prearranged things and starts in the dugout on Saturdays next weekend?

Sure there was a courier article at the start of the week.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:
Connoll Connell played well but as a striker he has a lot of convincing to do. Notice his penalty was blasted down the middle, exactly what he's done with nearly every chance he's had. It's a good job the goalie dived out the way.

That's harsh tbh. He's had two good games. Yesterday and against Ayr. If he can start producing it a bit more often then I'll be happy. He's showing in flashes he has the ability.

I saw that his general play was good yesterday, no doubt about it. I was referring particularly to his shooting prowess.

Are any of our loan signings until the end of the season.

Ngwenya, O’Riordan and Connell are til January. Have I missed someone?

That tells me it’s been our choice to only bring in our loan players until January.

I can’t see us not extending both, O’Riordan and Ngwenya past January.

Jury is still out on Connell, despite his excellent performance yesterday though.

12 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

That tells me it’s been our choice to only bring in our loan players until January.

Jury is still out on Connell, despite his excellent performance yesterday though.

I believe Connell is out of contract at Killie in January, for some reason. Wouldn't be adverse to us signing him up. 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I believe he had some prearranged things and starts in the dugout on Saturdays next weekend?

Sure there was a courier article at the start of the week.

Ian Murray confirmed in his pre match that Mickeys first official match day is Hamilton 

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Crazy to think there was a not insignificant amount of Rovers fans very vocally underwhelmed when we announced Connolly last pre-season. He’s been a fucking revelation. Of imperative importance that he signs a new deal. 

I was one of these guys because of his injury record plus Form at both Pars and Falkirk was quite concerning but hey proved wrong and I’m glad he’s doing well definitely need to offer him a new deal as he’s integral in what Murray wants 

17 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I believe Connell is out of contract at Killie in January, for some reason. Wouldn't be adverse to us signing him up. 

Correct, Connell (got it right, this time) is out of contract in January.

31 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Ngwenya, per Aberdeen press release is a loan until the end of the season, according to Raith press release it is until January.

O’Riordan is a loan until “early” January.

I was also hugely skeptical at the start of last season about connolly and was delighted to eat the humble pie he served up then and continues to now absolute key player when on song. 

I was also skeptical of another player who initially made me look like a twat before reverting to type. So 1 out of 2 isn't bad. 

Edited by pub car king
Sausage fingers

11 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Connor O'Riordan interview from about a month ago.

This young lad is different class.  Think he has a future in the English Championship tbh.  Would love to see us hold on to him till the summer.  19 year old that plays like a veteran.  

33 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

This young lad is different class.  Think he has a future in the English Championship tbh.  Would love to see us hold on to him till the summer.  19 year old that plays like a veteran.  

What strikes me is his passing out from the back. He's very adept at finding players in space who are maybe 20 to 30 yards away in midfield. There were a few on Saturday in particular where he'd get the ball to Stanton or Easton who were exploiting Partick's lack of presence in the middle. We really missed that in the second half of last season where we'd play it along the back before finding an easy pass, while inviting teams to press. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

What strikes me is his passing out from the back. He's very adept at finding players in space who are maybe 20 to 30 yards away in midfield. There were a few on Saturday in particular where he'd get the ball to Stanton or Easton who were exploiting Partick's lack of presence in the middle. We really missed that in the second half of last season where we'd play it along the back before finding an easy pass, while inviting teams to press. 

Compared to players we had like Davo who just hopefully lumped it up the park.

We've played some really decent football in the without the results going our way, but the work rate has definitely been there, and was great to see it all come together on Saturday. Stanton, Brown, Connolly, O'Riodran and Dick in particular have given us a really solid spine of the team. Squad is getting stronger, players back from injury, players upping their game to stay in the squad. On current form, Nolan, Matthews, Gullan will struggle to get back in to the starting line up. 

Defo need to try keep O'Riordan for the season if we can. he's been excellent. 

Edited by GhostZapper

3 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Or play it around the back for 20 minutes leads to nothing or punt it long and they’re on the attack