The New Raith Rovers Thread

I will keep saying it but I really, really like Scott Brown, can’t believe there are some Rovers fans who don’t rate him.

There is just something I love about someone in the centre of the park, wearing the captains armband, snapping into tackles, barking orders and dominating the game. He usually keeps things simple in possession, which is perfect for his role but he has more to his game when needed, played an outstanding first time pass to Millen (I think) in the first half yesterday.

I am a huge Ross Matthews fan but he will have to remain patient for now as you can’t change that midfield 3 at the moment, they complement each other so well, great balance. 

45 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I will keep saying it but I really, really like Scott Brown, can’t believe there are some Rovers fans who don’t rate him.

There is just something I love about someone in the centre of the park, wearing the captains armband, snapping into tackles, barking orders and dominating the game. He usually keeps things simple in possession, which is perfect for his role but he has more to his game when needed, played an outstanding first time pass to Millen (I think) in the first half yesterday.

I am a huge Ross Matthews fan but he will have to remain patient for now as you can’t change that midfield 3 at the moment, they complement each other so well, great balance. 

I think Brown has actually come onto a game since Spencer came back and plays alongside him. It frees him up to do the things you mentioned. I was fairly critical early on in the season but he's been very impressive lately so I'm quite happy to be proven wrong.

35 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I think Brown has actually come onto a game since Spencer came back and plays alongside him. It frees him up to do the things you mentioned. I was fairly critical early on in the season but he's been very impressive lately so I'm quite happy to be proven wrong.

No one is really mentioning Bead Spencer but there is a reason our form and performances have picked up since he came back in to the side and got up to speed.  

He does nothing flashy that stands out in games but just keeps everything ticking along nicely.

It's all about the balance in the midfield. In Brown, Spencer and Stanton you've got an almost perfect (for this level) distribution of all the necessary attributes that you need. They dovetail so nicely and you can see how removing any one of them would start to bring back some of the issues the midfield had earlier in the season. 

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Scott Brown gives us that bite i midfield that we lacked under McGlynn. Aye he’ll fly in sometimes and get booked and stuff. But he won his fair share of duels yesterday, and as you say, keeps it simple but can definitely play a bit too. 

I said it a few times, but I’d have Matthews in for Easton. Frustrating for him again yesterday. His silly back pass almost cost us a goal, but luckily Anton Dowds was more or less a passenger for Thistle yesterday and couldn’t get to grips with the opportunity that was presented to him.

Oh, and also, Aiden Connelly. 😍 He has been unreal since he’s returned. Love the guy. 

4 hours ago, pub car king said:

Unless Crewe are completely fucked it would do O'Riordan more good to continue playing every week for us where he knows the players and has settled really well. Would hope Crewe feel the same as they have a long history of developing talent there.

Crewe are in 16th, of 24. 19 points, 8 points off the bottom, but their initial mid-pack plus rate of play has slowed and they are now shipping more goals. Last five include two loses and three draws. They need a scorer for sure, but they might be interested in plugging O’Riordan into their back line, unfortunately. They have been dropping in the standings all season so far, and seem to need players in.

Crazy to think there was a not insignificant amount of Rovers fans very vocally underwhelmed when we announced Connolly last pre-season. He’s been a fucking revelation. Of imperative importance that he signs a new deal. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

35 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

I don't think they'll want to throw a developing 19 year old into a struggling team. I think they'll only keep him in Jan if they are light in defensive options. Fingers crossed they aren't.

They gave him a reasonable amount of games last season, in fairness. It is clear that he's very highly thought of there and you can see why. It is always a worry when a teenager is signed to start every game for you in defence, but he's been excellent. If they are struggling he may he a better option than what they have or what they might be able to bring in. 

I do hope they'll let us keep him, but not going to get my hopes up. 

39 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Crazy to think there was a not insignificant amount of Rovers fans very vocally underwhelmed when we announced Connolly last pre-season. He’s been a fucking revelation. Of imperative importance that he signs a new deal. 

That's me all over, completely non-plussed at the signing. Could not have been more wrong, add in my (ridiculous) thought that Brad should have been shipped after promotion as I didn't think he would make the step up. 

Still at least I wasn't daft enough to question Jamma 😄

Enjoying the goals with commentary on a Sunday, Jock Mcstay yahooing the goals is brilliant. 

Hats off to Murray from the deficiencies of Cove to yesterday is quite something. Defensively strong when he had pretty much a juggling act to manage a matter if weeks ago.

I wouldn't swap O'riordan/Dick for and mix of Benny/Berra/Frankie.

Didn't realise till the highlights that Connell was key to all 3 goals.

5 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Still at least I wasn't daft enough to question Jamma 😄

Be delighted to be proven wrong, if that happens, but I stand by my thinking…daft is my brand!

On a related note, has anyone seen Arnott, Mitchell or Young in action with their respective clubs this year?

6 hours ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Didn't realise till the highlights that Connell was key to all 3 goals.

Very good point. I think it’s also time to admit errors on our part playing down Connell’s contributions. Watching the game, we see Connell passing to Connolly and then dragging the defender into the box, opening the shot for Connolly…Connell delivering the long throw for Connolly’s second, and Connell drawing the penalty call, and that’s the first half alone. I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t rated Connell much, and I was wrong.

Edited by TxRover

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I would be one of those… he’s pretty much my favourite player now. Quality signing.

I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t rated Connoll much, and I was wrong.

I don’t think you were wrong at all. Connoll had contributed very little up until yesterday.
I really hope this is the start of a good run of form from him.

Connoll Connell played well but as a striker he has a lot of convincing to do. Notice his penalty was blasted down the middle, exactly what he's done with nearly every chance he's had. It's a good job the goalie dived out the way.
That's harsh tbh. He's had two good games. Yesterday and against Ayr. If he can start producing it a bit more often then I'll be happy. He's showing in flashes he has the ability.